It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa Gay Marriage Stats: One Year Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Iowa Gay Marriage Stats: One Year Out

Some stats from the first midwestern state to legalize gay marriage, one year out:

Out-of-staters made up 60 percent of same-sex couples married in Iowa since the state began allowing such unions in April 2009, officials reported Tuesday.

The new report from the Iowa Department of Public Health says 2,020 same-sex marriages were recorded in Iowa from April 27, 2009, through March 31. Only 815 of the couples were from Iowa. The newly married included 199 gay couples from Illinois, 158 from Missouri and 111 from Nebraska.

Overall, 19,904 couples were married in Iowa during the time period. Of those, 2,020 were listed as "same gender" couples, 16,869 were listed as "opposite gender" and 1,015 were listed as "not stated."

Among gay couples getting married here, 728 were two men, and 1,292 were two women.

Polk County had the most gay marriages, with 484; Scott County had 238; Johnson County, 235; and Pottawattamie County, 222.

Via Mark Lambert, tipster king.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Gay Marriage legal and the entire universe hasn't fallen apart into an absolute zero type hell existence??? Panicccc!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

...Wait, why is this even an issue again? Oh yeah people and their quaint beliefs in fairy tales. Now that's a great excuse to hold down and discriminate against an entire demographic of people. Huzzah for Iowa.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatesHatriots
...Wait, why is this even an issue again? Oh yeah people and their quaint beliefs in fairy tales.

I suppose that is it. I've never seen one good argument against gay marriage: all arguments seem based in bigotry in one form or another.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Every argument against it is strictly religious, and claiming its the government's place to defend the "sanctity" of marriage is in direct violation to our seperation of church and state.
Gay marriage restrictions should be completely struck down in every single state.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooseinhisglory
Every argument against it is strictly religious, and claiming its the government's place to defend the "sanctity" of marriage is in direct violation to our seperation of church and state.

That may be an interesting argument, although, I don't really see marriage belonging to the institution of religion. Religious people protestng this issue may be unknowingly overstepping their bounds. I do agree that many of the arguments against gay marriage seem steeped in religion.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have one arguement against it. And its a bit of a silly un realistic arguement, as im a bit of a libertarian in regards that i dont really give a # what people do, its essentialy up to them. But, if everyone got gay married, were pretty much doomd as a species. Thats a simple biological fact. Its not based on any sort of bias or any bull# like that, it just happens to be a fact of nature as harsh as it maybe, nature just does not allow too much fancy.

SO

In this slightly morbid yet rather fancy future of mine, what would the gays do?, would they resort to science in attempt to fertilise each other on a mass scale to try and stabilise the population???, or would they turn on each other, salute like Nazi[because it looks gay, sorry but it is] and force the weaker gays into diabolical sex camps, which were built in secret under the Something Fancy Rainbow Act 2012 and force them breed the old fashiond way???

Basicaly what im sayin is, would gays be happy if everyone was gay?

new topics

top topics

join