It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
And we thought the South Park incident was enough, I totally missed this one... Yesterday was "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" and apparently it stirred up some #

Source: Fox - 'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day' Unleashes Facebook Fracas

What started out as a cartoonist's call to action against censorship -- an open invitation to submit caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad -- has led to death threats, a court order to temporarily block parts of the website in Pakistan and a call for a boycott of Facebook to protest what Muslims believe is blasphemy.

"Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" began last month as the brainchild of a Seattle-based cartoonist named Molly Norris, who was appalled by Comedy Central's decision to censor an episode of "South Park" that depicted Muhammad in a bear costume...

... She (Molly) declared May 20 "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" -- and her efforts quickly went viral, spawning several Facebook pages with thousands of followers dedicated to the event.

They also prompted a "protest" movement by thousands of other Facebook users opposed to it.

Source: Raw Story - Pakistanis shout ‘Death to Facebook’, burn US flags

She (Molly) drew a cartoon in April to protest against the cancellation of an episode of popular show "South Park". Norris satirically proposed May 20 as an "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."

In Karachi, Pakistan's biggest city, religious parties mobilised hundreds of protesters onto the streets to demand a ban on Facebook and an apology from the social networking site for humiliating Muslims.

Activists shouted slogans such as "Death to Facebook", "Death to America" and branded the United States the "root cause of all mischief" at the peaceful rallies, said an AFP reporter.

In Multan, a shrine city in Punjab province, hundreds of people rallied, burning US flags and tyres to block traffic before dispersing peacefully.

In the northwestern city of Peshawar, about 250 students and religious activists staged small protests, chanting "Death to Facebook, death to Youtube," and on one occasion torched a US flag, an AFP reporter said.

The offending Facebook page has attracted 105,000 fans -- and five pages of crude manipulated pictures and caricatures. Pages denouncing the competition and calling for a boycott of the May 20 competition attracted far more fans.

Edit: Code

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You know what I say...?

F*** 'em.

I'd love to start this crap as some other country's citizen so they'd have to stop shouting "Death to America", but I happened to be born American. It's fine and dandy if they want their culture respected, but they should get over the fact that foreign law doesn't respect it. We recognize that they have religious laws, which goes against our constitution, but we don't go f***ing shouting "Death to Pakistan" in the streets.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how America shouldn't police the world when the rest of the world keeps trying to police us. When they stop enforcing their laws on my country, I'll stop trying to enforce mine on theirs. So until then, they can take their wife-beating, flag-burning, dog-hating cocks and screw themselves.

When a majority of Americans votes to censor the drawings of religious figures, I'll accept it happily as a result of democracy, and I don't particularly care if a company wants to censor an offensive cartoon, that's their choice. But I'll be damned if I'll tolerate the hatred they're spewing because we won't listen to their piddly-# bitching.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pondrthis
You know what I say...?

F*** 'em.

I'd love to start this crap as some other country's citizen so they'd have to stop shouting "Death to America", but I happened to be born American. It's fine and dandy if they want their culture respected, but they should get over the fact that foreign law doesn't respect it. We recognize that they have religious laws, which goes against our constitution, but we don't go f***ing shouting "Death to Pakistan" in the streets.

I'm sick and tired of hearing how America shouldn't police the world when the rest of the world keeps trying to police us. When they stop enforcing their laws on my country, I'll stop trying to enforce mine on theirs. So until then, they can take their wife-beating, flag-burning, dog-hating cocks and screw themselves.

When a majority of Americans votes to censor the drawings of religious figures, I'll accept it happily as a result of democracy, and I don't particularly care if a company wants to censor an offensive cartoon, that's their choice. But I'll be damned if I'll tolerate the hatred they're spewing because we won't listen to their piddly-# bitching.

I agree 1,000%!!! They need to join the rest of the world in the 21st century, and stop living like it's still the middle ages.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
*starts work on a Mohamed inspired by Friz Freling's art*

I'm gonna have some fun. Or... better yet... *gets another idea* .....*weg*

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
AWESOME!!

I am drawing him right now! In piss! AHAHAHAHAHA!! HHAHAHAH!!

If people riot and shout death to anything over a cartoon, they have serious issues. YOu could draw a cartoon of my dear mother and wife servicing a herd of donkees, and it would be hilarious!

WHY CARE? and further more, WHY WOULD ANYBODY CARE THAT IT OFFENDS SOMEONE ELSE?

You cannot force an emotion on another person. We are all responsible for our own emotions and actions. I can't "make" you feel bad, or good, or mad, or anything else without you "choosing" to feel that way.

If I get good at pushing your buttons and pissing you off, then I have infiltrated your mind, and I now have some sort of power over you! (If I get really good at it, I think it means we're married.)

These maniacs are only admitting their own shortcomings and weaknesses and providing fodder and ammunition for the rest of us! I guess a Thank You is in order?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Its amazing that people who do this are not really brave just emotional bigots.

Also they are very cowardly because drawing pictures to offend people remotely where no one knows where they are therefore not endangering them but others.

As far as freedom of speech, well, one doesn’t have the right to yell fire in a public place.

Believe me; you folks don’t really want to start this. You have no idea where it will end up.

One doesn’t throw raw meat at an animal and expect no consequences.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The depiction of Mohammed hasn't always been forbidden. There was a time when people weren't executed, tortured or murdered for drawing the man. I'm not offended by Islam or Moslems...the offensive thing is the censorship applied on pain of death.

Tolerance is a theme in all the major religions, but they all have sects and groups of psychotic, ignorant assholes who curdled their momma's milk. It's the stupid and snide ones that deserve condemnation.

Sadly, parts of the Koran and Bible actively incite the ignorant to hate others and, at the extreme, endorse torture and death.

Mo visits hell to see women who 'showed their hair' to other men. Seriously!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/152134ae0d7f.jpg[/atsimg] 15th Century Persian

Mo kicking back with the Archangel Gabriel
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e68008026477.jpg[/atsimg] 14th Century Persian

Mo checks out the women being hung by their tongues in hell. This was for leaving the house without the man's permission.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbf3c72de4bd.jpg[/atsimg]

Flatmates Jesus and Mo talk about Islam
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22e9fe4686dc.jpg[/atsimg]

Atheist barmaid pwns Jesus and Mo
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57d94940cba1.jpg[/atsimg]

Jesus joins in the fun!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c64efed7ed8f.jpg[/atsimg]

Jesus and Mo comics

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
could you imagine the hysteria is someone declared today:

Insult a Jew Day?

how about Spit on a Christian Day?

or maybe Kick a Buddhist Day?

its not about living in the dark ages, its about RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE, what used to be called courtesy. they dont appreciate their prophet being depicted in pictures, and people go out of their way to insult someones beliefs.

im no fan of liberal ideology, but this is just blatantly ignorant. and dont give me any of that terrorist BS, because you cant lump 1 group of people in with the minority of that group

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Some real ignet ish on this thread oh well hopes the best for your joking souls SMMFH @ THE FOOLISHNESS. No attempt at derailing your thread but the ignorance isnt denied within this thread, so 1 had to comment ANYONE WHO DONTZ LIKEZ IT CAN YOU KNOW TAKE TICKET FOR A VERY HOT SEAT.

You shouldnt draw him nor JESUS. Because what happens when he shows up and isnt at all what many imagined (you will be pissed for spending so much time visualising the wrong individual)

-VENUS OUT-

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
You shouldnt draw him nor JESUS. Because what happens when he shows up and isnt at all what many imagined (you will be pissed for spending so much time visualising the wrong individual)

What? I'm confused. I understand not drawing them out of respect but I'm certain that if a deity popped into existence and confronted you, you would probably know who it is... not to mention I doubt someone would be pissed because said deity doesn't look a certain way as much as Christians would be pissed if Muhammad came outta now where or Muslims would be pissed if Jesus was floating in the sky... maybe I'm missing the point of your post or what your upset about.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07d90f9acf95.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
To clarify, I don't feel the need to offend a Muslim person.

I just am sick and damn tired of "Death to America" rallies because our laws are different from theirs. That's all. They wonder why we come and bomb and slaughter them (I'm against the wars, btw) when they spout "Death to America" every week for years and years. Common sense says you don't pick on the guy with the big stick, I mean, really!

And "Slap a Jew" day would be hilarious... 'course I'd never slap someone, but I don't pinch people on St. Patrick's day, either.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

they dont hate america because of our laws.

they hate america because america sticks its nose in places it doesnt belong, and steals resources it has no right to steal.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
They should have a muslim beer day, just one day in the year when they may drink beer..Maybe a solution for their neurotic behaviour..

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Personally, I don't understand the need to belittle someone else's beliefs (unless they believe in alien visitation
). To me, this is just a sign of extreme immaturity - mocking others to make yourself feel better about your own pathetic little life. With that said, I can understand respectfully questioning someones belief system and their need to kill someone for believing differently. But not creating something for the sole purpose of trying to make them angry. Personally, I am a Christian (not one who believes in the religious dogma preached by most churches - but that's a different thread). I see things such as the "piss Christ" as an immature and purposeful attack at another's beliefs, but nothing I feel the need to kill anyone for.
en.wikipedia.org...
As a Christian, someone dunking a crucifix in urine doesn't affect my beliefs in any way whatsoever. Nor do any cartoons that depict Him negatively. But I still think such things are done solely for provoking someone "different" than you. It's just like racism, pure and simple, and should stay on idiotic sites like 4chan - not on ATS.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
could you imagine the hysteria is someone declared today:

Insult a Jew Day?

how about Spit on a Christian Day?

or maybe Kick a Buddhist Day?

Well Insulting, Spitting on and Kicking are all drastically different from Drawing a picture

I find all of it ridiculous and it all started because of the South Park episode... I kinda feel for and support the SP guys and all the people trying to show the hypocrisy in not being able to draw someone... It's just ridiculous.

I'm not religious and I feel all religions should be able to be mocked equally.

[edit on 21/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It is always amazing to me how people are so easily stirred up to the point of even going to war by small warring factions of thousands of years old religious dogmatic factions... Sigh!

Don't people realize this is part of a psyop to drum up support for attacking Iran or other muslim country? The elite must laugh thier asses off watching the sheeple in both camps respond to stuff so easily like this... Simply amazing!

[edit on 21-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I understand some people even here on ATS don't agree with it.

But at the end of the day, how far do you go? I could carry around labels with the word muhammed around with me, if I drop one, id be lableling the floor or the sofa prophet of the music faith and I deserve to die now? I mean, it's absolutely ludicrous.

If they had their way, I could have a son and say to my son, "Hey kid, this is the world, it's brilliant, don't murder, rape or steal and your good, everything's fine, be as creative as you like, BUT!, never must you draw a picture of muhammed or of course, ile be forced to slit your throat". It's not about being offensive, Muslims are great, dont think the burkha should be band, that's unfair because it is simply an item of clothing, like crucifixes for ear-rings!, but it is also unfair that we can't draw a picture or we'll be killed.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Look this is offensive to a large number of people, you know human people, flesh and blood like you. How about a "EDUCATE AN AMERICAN DAY"? or a " DENY THE HOLOCOST DAY" (that one will give you a a free stay in a lovely prison. So quick to stand up for your free speech when I read here every day about another way The USA is "stripping away" your civil liberties. If you put as much effort into standing up for your rights as you do bullying other people America would truly be the land of the free. One last thing that surprised me was the comment on how "they" are in the middle ages. Fact- Ancient Iraq gave us Algebra, Alchemy, Laws, The first record of the flood written after they invented writing! There is lots to list covering all of the middle east but its not yet Educate an American day yet..........

My first post because im offended, when i figure out how to start threads proper like ill start posting my therories on resonance and how i found a pattern using solfeggio frequencies and teslas hotel room number 3327
heres a clue 3 x 3 x 3

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join