It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian cleric wants creation of 'Greater Iran'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
apnews.myway.com...

A radical cleric called Saturday for the creation of a "Greater Iran" that would rule over the entire Middle East and Central Asia, in an event that he said would herald the coming of Islam's expected messiah.

Ayatollah Mohammad Bagher Kharrazi said the creation of what he calls an Islamic United States is a central aim of the political party he leads called Hezbollah, or Party of God, and that he hoped to make it a reality if they win the next presidential election.

Kharrazi's comments reveal the thinking of a growing number of hard-liners in Iran, many of whom have become more radical during the postelection political crisis and the international standoff over the country's nuclear program. Kharrazi, however, is not highly influential in Iran's clerical hierarchy and his views do not represent those of the current government.

Kharrazi's comments were published Saturday in his newspaper, Hezbollah.

He said he envisioned a Greater Iran that would stretch from Afghanistan to Israel, bringing about the destruction of the Jewish state.

He also said its formation would be a prelude to the reappearance of the Mahdi, a revered ninth-century saint known as the Hidden Imam, whom Muslims believe will reappear before judgment day to end tyranny and promote justice in the world.

"The Islamic United States will be an introduction to the formation of the global village of the oppressed and that will be a prelude to the single global rule of the Mahdi," the Hezbollah newspaper quoted him as saying.

Besides Israel, he said the union would also destroy Shiite Iran's other regional adversaries, whom he called "cancerous tumors." He singled out secular Arab nationalists such as members of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party in Iraq, as well as followers of the austere version of Sunni Islam practiced primarily in Saudi Arabia that is known as Wahabism.

Saudi Arabia and other Sunni Arab nations have watched Iran's growing regional clout with deep concern.

The growing voice of hard-liners like Kharrazi has deepened worries even if it appears unlikely such a divisive figure would win the 2013 presidential election.

Still, even President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that he expects the government which follows his to be "ten times more revolutionary."

An Islamic United States
I doubt they could ever win the election, but just knowing that lunatics who want something like that, have a nuclear facility, and are think it is divine prophecy kind of crap, kinda scares me.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yeah it sounds bad, but if they can make peace with Israel the whole world would be better off.

However, neither sides would have it.

I think with the internet extreme views like this man's will die out fairly quickly.

But this sentence could be said about the people who have been running this country also:

but just knowing that lunatics who want something like that, have a nuclear facility, and are think it is divine prophecy kind of crap, kinda scares me.

Only our leaders not only have nuclear energy, we have nuclear weapons.

Iran is a signatory to the NPT.

Israel is not.

Iran knows it would get worked if it came forth with nuclear weapons.

We are flanking them.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The Iranian leadership have being giving one another speeches about how much they would like to destroy Israel, and cease more land & power, for over 30 years.
But so far the borders of Iran have remained much the same (Saddam attacked them because they were financing his enemies, notably the Kurds. But Iran mostly did that, because he was an ally of ours, Iran hated us, and so they wanted to undermine Saddam's power base).

And if Iran develops nuclear weapons, I would expect its borders to continue to remain pretty much the same. It's partly because the combined Military might (of what Iran calls Western pro-"Zionist" nations) will always be both economically and technologically one step ahead of Iran. The Iranian populations military, finaching ability, will never exceed the United States (let alone them plus most of Western Europe). Israel even has strong supporters within, the Russian government.
So I think its a statement of, obvious fact, that Israel's supporters are set, to continue, too, always command much power & respect within high places, in (at least) most democratic, nations.

Originally posted by beeds

Iran is a signatory to the NPT.
Yes but so was the last country to develop it's own nukes i.e. North Korea (it withdrew shortly before conducting its test)

Israel is not.

Which means the fact they have nuclear weapons: www.israelnewsagency.com... and most worldly nations have known, since 5th October 1986, when the Times newspaper ran a major story en.wikipedia.org...
And yet, we have still give them free trade (nevermind military aid!) is clearly confirmation that the West does not consider to be a major threat to either its citizens, or its trade-commerce?
I only believe Israel is an "annoyance" to our national political system-strategy. It's mostly due to the money, and support it lobbyists use to make us so overly-concerned about what is going on in the non oil, exporting, Middle Eastern places (like err... Israel and Palestine!!).

However financial lobbying is not illegal, and so it's the law (or perhaps, just enforcement?) that's really at fault.
If Israel ever assassinated non-Muslims, on our own soil, then I would class that an act of war, but I've only ever heard a little about it, and am sceptical about propaganda.

What Happens Next...
Iran getting nuclear weapons means (today's) Israel's survival time can be measured in years-decades. However its also a serious obstacle to those "right-wing" Israelis who want a Greater Israel, middle eastern empire.
But overall (just so long as Israel hangs onto its nukes) I'm confident Israel and Iran will find ways, to avoid explaining, why, to their gods, they suddenly made themselves go extinct!
However the only long-term solution to MAD is for both of them both to disarm (so that only the permanent U.N members protect-threaten them with nuke's). Such an outcome would be good for both peace, and the Western-Chinese interests, in increasing the regions "stability" (i.e. inability to threaten us).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

join