It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google face recognition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ok,
I didn`t even know they had this technology.

Google has refused to rule out extending controversial facial recognition technology, despite being hit by a storm of complaints over privacy. The internet search giant already offers one facial recognition feature through its Picasa photo software, which scans your pictures and suggests matches with other pictures that may include the same people.

Google's CEO Eric Schmidt would not rule out a further roll-out, saying: 'It is important that we continue to innovate.' With facial recognition a face is detected and tagged by the user. It is then rotated so that the eyes are level and scaled to a uniform size and compared with all the other pictures on the user's database. The system then displays any close matches.

There are fears this technology could be added to the Google Goggles tool, which was launched last year. This currently allows people to search for inanimate objects, like the Eiffel Tower, on the internet by taking a picture of it on a mobile phone.
However, if combined with facial recognition software, customers could use it to identify strangers on the street.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be6a26d11db4.jpg[/atsimg]

Google never cease to "amaze" us.
Any thoughts?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As frightening as all this new technology is, I feel it is inevitable. Tech is advancing at an exponential rate if not faster. People are developing software and hardware at home at a rapid rate. If the technology exists for it to be done, someone somewhere will be doing it. This technology is out and Google wants to corner a market. I am not saying I am glad it is Google but someone is going to be doing this anyway, so you know.

Just make sure you have never been photographed by anyone that is going to post their wedding photos with you tagged in the background and wear a mask in all public places. Simple.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

We are definitely "running" in the science field and I am actually happy for the most part.
As far as google is concerned I could care less about what "they could find out about me".

Anyway, as you said, tech is advancing really fast.
This morning for example I read about that Tv (by google) that allows you to surf the net.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
On Facebook users can "tag" their friends in the picture. That is FREE information, freely offered
and Google can use it for face recognition too

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This will make it easier to identify people in a picture or even for logging in.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
Just make sure you have never been photographed by anyone that is going to post their wedding photos with you tagged in the background and wear a mask in all public places. Simple.

I was almost thinking of supporting legislation to ban the burqa. (not a burqa ban specifically, but anti-mask laws prohibiting any kind of mask in banks, etc)

Now I'm wondering if we should all be wearing them for privacy instead of modesty. (half-joking)

This type of technology might lead to some scary results, some of which we may not fully appreciate until we're entrenched in the problem.

One step closer to 1984 (the book, big brother, etc)?

top topics

join