It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israeli War Planes Strike Terrorist Military Installation In Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Israeli war planes struck a Lebanese target in the village of Naameh, just 12 miles south of Beirut. Israel said that the strike was in retaliation to a rocket that was fired at an Israeli ship in the Mediterranean earlier in the day. Lebanese President Emile Lahoud said that the attack was an "abuse of Lebanese sovereignty."

Reuters - Israel Air Strike in Lebanon Is Serious Warning
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli air strike on a Palestinian guerrilla base deep inside Lebanon was an "unequivocal" warning that attacks from Lebanese soil will not be tolerated, a senior official was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

Israel said Monday's air raid -- the closest to Beirut since Israeli troops withdrew from south Lebanon in 2000 after 22 years of occupation -- was in retaliation for rocket fire at an Israeli navy ship in the Mediterranean earlier in the day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Israel uses air strikes against Hizbollah targets occasionally, but this strike was no where near the border. Some are saying that this strike deep inside of Lebanon was a demonstration to make Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon appear tough to critics of the Gaza withdrawal.

Hizbollah denied any knowledge of a missile being fired at an Israeli ship, and suspicion has fallen on Lebanon-based Palestinian militants. Lebanese officials said the target that Israel struck was a military installation for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command .

[edit on 8-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Why can i smell war in the air?

I don't like this one bit.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I am all for Israel's right to defend itself against terrorists but it seems that Israeli military act without any thought the implications.

Sometimes it almost seems as Israel is seeking to broaden the conflict. It was not that long ago when Israel bombed a suspect Hamas camp inside Syria. I am not saying they do not have the right to do things like this for that is their choise as a nation. But one day they will either have to make peace or all out war with the arab/muslim nations surrounding them. it seems they are well on their way toward the feared Arab Israeli war.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Lebanon complains to UN over Israeli air "aggression"

"Lebanon has filed a letter of complaint with the UN Security Council over an Israeli air strike near the Lebanese capital, the first in four years, officials said Tuesday."

The rest of the article is here:

www.spacewar.com...

top topics

join