It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools treat rosaries as gang symbols

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Schools treat rosaries as gang symbols

blog.beliefnet.com

School districts in New York and Texas are cracking down on students who wear religious jewelry.

Raymond Hosier, a student at Oneida Middle School in New York, said he the principal told him to remove his rosary beads or he would be suspended. He didn't - and he was.

"I think it's not right to kick me out of school for wearing rosary beads," Hosier told WXXA. "They're in honor of my brother and uncle and that's how it's gonna stay."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The school district told WXXA the bead ban is based on concerns that the beads might be gang related.

Hosier denied being in a gang and his mother said he does well in school.

"He's got rights as a citizen," Chantal Hosier told WXXA. "He's got the right to demonstrate his religion."

A spokeswoman for the school said they can't comment on cases involving suspended students - but the family hopes the school will have a change of heart.

Meanwhile, an eighth grader in Texas City, TX, found himself in a similar situation. A resource officer at Blocker Middle School confiscated a necklace that resembled rosary beads and a cross.

Christian Thompson told KENS the necklace was in memory of a friend who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

"It helps me remember him and makes me feel safe," Thompson told KENS. "I think it's not fair that they won't let me wear it."

This is kind of getting out of hand. All religious individuals need to be aware, that this is against Rosaries now..later it will be another religion. The buck doesn't stop at the Rosary.

To tie bead color connection with gang colors is kind of a hard reach, maybe some do that....but if colors are really the problem are they going to ban the colors of Rainbow in schools. This is absurd and silence against this issue will only allow more infringements of our freedoms.

blog.beliefnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Bah, I can't stand the idea of "resource officers;" we have them at our High School; they just walk around and intimidate people, or occasionally come in with a drug dog or some tihs.

Figures he would confiscate it without a second thought, it's his stupid job. Go be a cop like a real man, or, at least, try. It sucks though because I think they force cops to serve at schools like this, a situation where nobody wins.

I gotta go to school now, though.

I mean, if they really were that scared of school shootings, give the teachers guns, or a small armory inside the school, hidden or something. That'd make any shooter think twice before hitting them. And the kids would probably think twice before acting out lol.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

So are they banning colors, or religious symbols? If colors are being banned then yes they could end up banning all colors of the rain bow. Of coarse the goth crowd might like that, everyone one has to wear black and white.
If they are banning religious symbols then all symbols must be banned, including things like st christifer medals, head scarf, and turbans.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I see grey prison coveralls as a dress code- mebbe with the student's number screenprinted above the right pocket......

Interesting how we're all being attacked on every side at once these days.... No rest, no nothing.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The question needs to be asked, is there anyplace where they're are good reasons to think the beads are associated with gang members.. is that perhaps the new trend?

Perhaps some kids in some places are doing that. They would count on keeping their gang symbols because they would never have thought someone would ban the beads.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
They are banning Rosary mainly for the color beads on the Rosary itself. Rosaries are made to have beads on them, that is how they have been made for centuries.

The colors association of Gangs is a far reach. If you want to ban colors, ban all colors, make student/teachers/administration wear only black/white if you think colors are the problem. Don't attack a religious symbol as beads are inherent to rosary.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Back in the late 80's when I was in high school in chicago everyone knew you had to be careful with color combinations. It was mostly black with another color that could get you in trouble.

Black and:
Gold - Latin Kings
Blue - Black Gangster Desciples
White - Insane Unknowns
Gray - Gaylords

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Question for you all? Are you ok with kids wearing Satanic imagary and Satanist symbols to school??

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

wouldnt they hate they idea?
since goths like to be individual and that kind of system would kind of kill that

also what are these beads and what do they represent?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man

also what are these beads and what do they represent?

Rosary Defined

The rosary provides a physical method of keeping track of the number of Hail Marys said. The fingers are moved along the beads as the prayers are recited. By not having to keep track of the count mentally, the mind is more able to meditate on the mysteries. A five decade rosary contains five groups of ten beads (a decade), with additional large beads before each decade. The Hail Mary is said on the ten beads within a decade, while the Our Father is said on the large bead before each decade. A new mystery is meditated upon at each of the large beads. Some rosaries, particularly those used by religious orders, contain 15 decades, corresponding to the traditional 15 mysteries of the rosary. Both five and 15 decade rosaries are attached to a shorter strand, which starts with a crucifix followed by one large, three small, and one large beads before connecting to the rest of the rosary.

The beads are not just for show, as they are a integral part of the Rosary.

As far as gangs & colors. Step up as a community, if you keep living in fear and ignorance....no one can help you. If you step up and form a coalition against these coward thugs, maybe you can help yourself.

Allow individuals the rights to protect themselves and gangs will think twice before harming an innocent.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The question should be, will they ban burkas, and other symbols of religion, such as a yamaker, and all symbols of faith? The other question is are the students devote or of that religion? If they are, then the case is made that they are trying to restrict religious freedom of the students and violate their first admentment rights. The quickest means to determine such is to say a Hail Mary and determin if they are indeed of such, or not. Another question is, is it in the student handbook that states it bans such?
Now having been around for a long time, I do know that some gangs, as part of what they believe, and the symbols has been the symbol of the Madona. But to outright do this, without stating that no one can wear any symbol of belief is just wrong, and is a form of discrimination. There is a point when being PC is just going way too far and I believe that it would need to stop. The parents should look at the principle, and say prove it, prove it like you are in a court of law, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and then accept it, if not, then prepare to go to court. The other question I would have is where is the ACLU and other so called groups that are out there to protect the civil liberties and rights of the individuals? Why are they not out there screaming about such? Or is the rights of a child not worth the effort or the topic something that they do not want to get involved with?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

ACLU only works for LEFT, and Religion is not a Left issue.

ACLU is a shill organization that lost it founding moral compass a long time ago, now its all about the dolla dolla bills and Leftist propaganda.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
lets define gang shell well
en.wikipedia.org...
A gang is a group of three or more people who, through the organization, formation, and establishment of an assemblage, share a common identity.[2] In current usage it typically denotes a criminal organization or else a criminal affiliation. In early usage, the word gang referred to a group of workmen. In the United Kingdom the word is still often used in this sense, but it later underwent pejoration.
ok group of 3 or more (religion check)
organization (religion ) check
criminal AFFILIATION would pedos fall under that? would scamers who con old ladys fall under that? would guys who fly plans into buildings fall under that?
would a christian guy who says lets nuk um torture um fall under that?
would all the other Christians who said yea blow them to hades fall under that?
you know it looks to my like religion creats gangs .
anyone ever hear of the Spanish inquisition
defintly a gang and they even have symbals they use to identify each other .
look it up the links right there

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Main Entry: gang
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, walking, journey, from Old English; akin to Old English gangan
Date: 15th century

1 a (1) : a set of articles : outfit (2) : a combination of similar implements or devices arranged for convenience to act together b : group: as (1) : a group of persons working together (2) : a group of persons working to unlawful or antisocial ends; especially : a band of antisocial adolescents
2 : a group of persons having informal and usually close social relations

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

If I remember correctly the People Nation (group of gangs under a single flag) used a five pointed star as one of their symbol and their enemies the Folk Nation used a six pointed star just like the star of David.

Also the latin kings would often use the irish claddagh because of the crown.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
to top it off christian intercity gangs also make grafedie all over run down building some guy in a white robe lames flowers and children next to a lion .
i immange that means keep out or well feed your kid to the lions
sinded god
hes the gang leader i hear even though some guy named lucifer is trying to out him off him

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
Question for you all? Are you ok with kids wearing Satanic imagary and Satanist symbols to school??

Yes, I am fine with that.

Actually this kind of action is nothing new. Over a decade ago schools were banning the Pentacle from being worn. Now the Pentacle is not a satanic symbol.

members.shaw.ca...
Note how only one point of the star is on top.

i.peperonity.com...
Pentagram, note two points on top-this is the symbol of LaVey style satanists.

I didn't see people crying out then. But one thing you have to learn about people is they support freedom for people like themselves as opposed to all people. This is a sad reality of life. Strange though, I've never met many gangs who used rosaries as their symbols. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying i haven't seen it. In any case that's no reason to ban it. What is next-the madonna?

[edit on 21-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's actually well known that some gangs use rosaries of certain color combinations (i.e black and gold for M13 if I remember correctly) to display their gang colors in schools where gang colors are banned, figuring they could hide behind religious tolerance.

I'm sorry to say, but in some areas, dress codes are needed in public high schools just to keep the gang violence at a minimum (not that it works to well).

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
Question for you all? Are you ok with kids wearing Satanic imagary (SIC)and Satanist symbols to school??

What peace is there in satan?
What love is there in satan?
What forgiveness is there in satanism?
Where is the selflessness in satanism?
Yes I would be offended and would not allow that hateful symbolism
anywhere.
All Christians know that as we get closer to the second coming of The Lord Jesus Christ, we will be persecuted, brought before judges, ridiculed by the many, and forbidden to worship The True G_D.
Hell is on vacation, and all the demons are up here.
Wear your crosses, proclaim the Good News!
And stand fast in your faith!
Peace be with you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join