It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thous worthless lazy homeless people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
finance.yahoo.com...
Nearly everything had to go. A few months after losing her administrative job in the summer of 2008, 23-year-old Brianna Karp got rid of her furniture, a beloved piano, and most of her books so she could move back in with her parents. When that didn't work out, she moved into an old trailer a relative had left her, settling into an informal homeless community in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Brea, Calif. By the summer of 2009, she was living without electricity, regular showers, home-cooked food, and most basic conveniences.

[See 21 things we're learning to live without.]

Karp held tight to one appurtenance, however: her laptop computer. She spent hours at a nearby Starbucks, using the wireless network to surf for jobs. A friend suggested she start a blog about her life on the edge, which she called the Girl's Guide to Homelessness. It generated attention that helped land a part-time magazine internship. Then came an offer to write a book about her ordeal, which is due out in 2011--and might get turned into a movie. With some money from a book advance, Karp has upgraded to a better trailer, on a friend's property, and she's eyeing a Victorian fixer-upper she'd like to make her permanent home. Yet she craves few of the material things she's given up, while cherishing the friends and opportunities she's discovered online. "When you're in survival mode, you slash everything," Karp says. "That makes the online community that much more important. Online, somebody will always be there for me."
of corse this was just poor planing and im sure shes just a lazy bum who wont work at a bk after all our dreams are wallworld parking lots.
reda to many post here about how people like her are lousers we us that are on the edge know who the real lousers are

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
So you're saying that even though she struggled against being made homeless and constantly searched for work - making contacts and networking... that she's just a lazy bum?

I think that's what you're trying to say???

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by jokei

No, I think just the opposite. Some sarcasm in there to make the point, I believe.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Don't judge ANYONE until you have walked a mile (or in your case 10) in their shoes.
There are many people who are one lost paycheck away from being homeless and it has NOTHING to do with poor planning.
Look at the economy around you?!
And being homeless does not equal lazy. They can be very hard working and resourceful BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO BE. A job/ paycheck is a means to buy what you need/ want. Homeless people are far more efficient than many who DO have jobs.
You know not of what you speak, and IMHO...I find your statement after that article to be very ignorant.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I think this was a good little article to point out that many people who have their backs against the wall are simply victims of circumstance, and not lazy parasites that are too footloose to plan ahead. Sometimes, no amount of prior planning can help you.

If you are 'on the edge' as well, my sympathies and I hope that you continue to just keep putting one foot in front of the other (proverbial speaking).

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think the OP is saying that some people here on ATS have been known to have generalized those that are unfortunate enough to be homeless as categorically "worthless and lazy".

With the current economic situation,we have a new category of homelessness. And that is of Working class people whom have lost their homes due to foreclosure as a result of having lost their jobs.

The individual in the OP's story exemplifies this.

People wiling to work but having fallen on hard times.

We wouldn't be in this situation if the Banks hadn't been allowed to lose their $$$ in shabby investments if the Glass-Steagall act hadn't been repealed in 1999 lead by then Sen. Phil Graham(R-TX).

The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 Which had been created after the FIRST Great Depression in order to prevent the failure of banks from reoccurring as a result of failed investments .....

But back to the OP, Well good for her, and her tenaciousness in finding new opportunities.

As it is said, when the going gets tough, the tough get going !!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

That is the whole purpose my friend to show that no everybody that falls into a life of hardship is a worthless lazy homeless.

I felt very hart warmed by the story.

But the truth is that if you are a successful person before a hardship you have more chances to brake free of hard times faster than somebody else that has been living homeless most their lives.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm confused.... are you trying to be facetious with the thread title? Because it seems to me the woman did something pretty admirable by not accepting her fate like that.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If one wishes to consider certain homeless and jobless individuals as parasites, they are mere fleas compared to the predatory capitalists with six figure salaries and five houses; they are a true cancer and a plague upon society, humanity and the planet. They make their millions through exploitation of labor and natural resources, then socialize all the costs, making the masses of society pay the mop up costs of their greed.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for free enterprise. But today's predatory capitalism bears no resemblance to the capitalist ideal envisioned by Adam Smith.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

reply to post by marg6043

I'm not too sure from mooching through some other posts by the OP - I'm not going to judge one way or another, that's why I asked for some clarification.

I'd like to think that the OP is being facetious.

top topics

join