It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs Space , Now we have the Stratellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
So we have filled the space around our Planet with junk , so why not do the same with the Stratosphere.
Another way to look at it is it costs a lot of money to put a Satellite into space so lets attach it to a balloon and stick it in the Stratosphere.
A company called E-Green Technologies has designed a huge inflatable vehicle ,it's as long as a 23-floor skyscraper and will serve as a stratospheric satellite , and its fueled by algae.

"Our airships are radically different designs that move beyond the performance limitations of traditional blimps or zeppelins by combining advanced technology with simple construction and the ability to fuel with algae, protecting our environment," said Michael Lawson, chairman and CEO of E-Green Technologies.

The airship is designed to carry payloads of up to 2,000 pounds (907 kg) at altitudes of 20,000 feet (6,096 m). Any cargo aboard the airship would sit within an outer envelope made from a new type of Kevlar, or the same material used to build bulletproof vests. That allows the envelope to have a width just one-sixteenth of an inch thick, but still be 10 times stronger than steel.

www.space.com...
I guess in the current financial climate it makes sense but is it really a step forward ?

[edit on 21-5-2010 by gortex]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

2000 pound, that is about 9 of me.

This is great, why not build air buses using this technology?

Or air cars, and create air signs, air traffic lights.

The ground traffic is increasing way too much, I have to wake up 2 hours before going to work, or Universities.

Traffic jams are killing me.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

As long as a 23-foot skyscraper and only able to carry 2,000 lbs? Sounds rather innefficient but, then again, so is using multi stage rockets to boost limited life satellites into orbit.

Only time will tell.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm glad I signed up to the ATS twitter feed, because this a great find ! Makes a change from the world of war and doom-and-gloom we live in !

I guess this is a step forward, because if it all works out and people see how effective it, other stuff could be constructed that would work in the same way ! Why not just send up loads of plants that float around the stratosphere soaking up CO2 ? =)

new topics

top topics

join