It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome UFO photo taken in LA 25 years ago.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I thought the 'UFO' looked like a kitchen sink drain.

But I can also see the lawn sprinkler resemblance.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Dreamkidd ...

I know you mentioned that the original pic was taken about 25 years ago, which would make it somewhere around 1985, give or take a year.

In an attempt to try and narrow down the actual year, I noticed a can of budweiser on the table and decided to compare the shape & colouration of this can to that of various budweiser cans over the years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18c4115dffa5.jpg[/atsimg]

In my opinion, the closest match to the can in the image appears to be the one from 1996. Notice that there was an obvious design change in that year which gave a substantially altered exterior shape and logo design to the one in the previous year of 1995.
That would make the age of the pic to be a maximum of 15 years old and not 25 as stated and therefore the pic could NOT have been taken any earlier than 1996 ... certainly not as far back as 1985 as claimed.

If you're relying on memory alone, could you please somehow confirm the actual year that the original was taken ... thanks.

[edit on 21/5/10 by tauristercus]

The pop tops on the cans appear to be the captive type. You can see the one on the open can is still attached. This would make the photo more recent than 1988.

If the hole were visible it could further narrow it down, as they widened them in the 90's.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by draknoir2]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
*Sniff Sniff*
I smell BS

I'm a open minded skeptic but this just screams BS to me.

The sky is blue through the tree's but is like.. orange on the right side?

Wtf

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann
reply to post by Dreamkidd

Clearly the photo bears reflections of the interior, from the window. It's possible the ufo is a ceiling light fixture.

Davidmann.....

I'm not sure I'm seeing it that way.

Can you offer a little more description to support your "reflection" idea?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
*Sniff Sniff*
I smell BS
I'm a open minded skeptic but this just screams BS to me.
The sky is blue through the tree's but is like.. orange on the right side?

WishForWings.....

I think it might just be that the right half of the photo has faded.

Perhaps that part was in the light more, or something like that.

Or perhaps the lighting was problematic when the photo was taken.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I see where you're coming from, but so many, if not ALL of these UFO "pictures" are fake. This one seriously just looks like someones hacked at it using microsoft paint or something.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The clothing looks like it is from the 80s, style wise, design and color, shorts way above the knees. The hat and shades scream 80s, I cant make out the logo or brand name on the hat to help narrow down the time frame. The blue shirt and the bikini top could be recent or from the 80s. The lawn chair the girl is sitting on is from the 80s, my family had the exact same chairs. The telephone pole and wires look like it could be from that time, if someone could find the date the power companies switched to the darker color and rounder looking boxes on the wires that could help narrow down the date.

The beer cans look more modern, I could be wrong since I was way to young to be drinking adult beverages in the 80s, but what jumps out to me is the pull tab on the can that is knocked over, I remember the tabs from the 80s being more square in shape and wider. The tab on the can looks 90s- modern style.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamkidd
Thoughts, speculation and observations anyone?

Light fitting?, UFO?, Hub Cap?, kids toy?, lens flare? blu tac?

Looks like a lighting fixture to me...maybe a streetlight from the pole in the middle. The sky portion of the photo is kinda overexposed/bleached out so we could be missing some detail.

Or it's a UFO.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Nice catch there Maybe, my gut is saying that this is not a UFO (craft) but resembles alot like the spirinkler 'Maybe' posted. For the record I trust the OP I do not think this has been photoshopped.

I was thinking it resembled the bottom of a hummingbird feeder that is suspended out of the camera view. They have clear middles, but the bottom section does resemble this shape also.

I know my grandmother had hers hanging in a tree back in the early 80's.

Either way, fake or real, it's a cool image.

A_L.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I think the cans are from the mid/late 1980s, check out this can from 1988.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'd be more inclined to go with picture damage, the section with the ufo is very washed out and there's evidence the picture has been stuck to others at one point.

Put the two together and you are almost certainly never going to get a clear answer.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You guys are absolutly amazing, I would never have thought originally posting this that we would get to the point that the Beer cans would be scrutinized! That's so dope!!

I'm literally 99% sure that this image has received no doctoring in any way shape or form, more just that it has been subject to degredation over the years making the image itself less conclusive than what it could be.

As I said prior, I have set the wheels in motion to aquire the original and the negative. The girl I got this from has said the neg is around somewhere so even if I have to look for it myself in the box I'm going to try if she will let me.

I'm going to point her too this post and she is going to buzz out!! It will surly give her the motivation to take this further.

I have no idea what that thing is but the fact she told me about this ten years ago and now to finally get the image and to have a site like this to outlet the material makes this process so much more exciting.

News too come.

Thank you for your efforts and contributions thus far everyone.

Out of interest knowing little about photography etc. If I get the negative, will it allow me to get this image blown up to reveal greater detail??

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
While i was looking the photo everyone beat me to everything.
The beer can is not from '85 and there is pixelation arounf the UFO so it was probably photoshopped.
Dreamkid take your cell phone and take a picture of the picture at a slight angle so we know it is not photo shopped. But i have a feeling you will not be able to get the photo or that your camera will not be working. But this fits the profile for a hoax, a "friend" gave it to you so you are not the one hoaxing the photo so you don't get b&

[edit on 21-5-2010 by zaiger]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Let's just hope you didn't do this to farm the IP address of every person on ATS

picture's sorta cheesy in my opinion, too easily fake.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

there is pixelation arounf the UFO so it was probably photoshopped.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by zaiger]

I think that might be a compression artifact. I believe this came up here before on another thread and ArMap was explaining it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Beer can forensics.
I'll be doing more research this weekend.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Here you go i "enhanced" it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Here you go i "enhanced" it.
They still look the same size to me.

Oh, THE UFO!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

I am wrong. I was thinking that the Bud cans were reflected off the window. I see my mistake, thank you.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I didn't see it mentioned but the hat says "OSH" or Orchard Supply Hardware which was real big in the mid '80's. The clothing, in my opinion, fit the time frame. I remember my aunt wearing a bikini kind of like that during a camping trip in '86. My uncles drank Olympia beer most of the time but the Bud cans look correct as far as I remember.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by janon]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join