It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Plz xplain about BOINC n SETI???...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hiya all,

I'm very new to all of this... okay, I know BOINC was made to replace SETI... but please an explanation about both...Also I'm a little confused, if you transfer from SETI to BOINC what does it do? I got SETI at the mo (I just put it on literally yesturday)... also I hear of all these add ons... what are they and does anyone have a link to the add ons?

I'm sorry to bombared with these questions, I've looked around but I can't find an explanation

Thank you for all your help

Love and Light
Phoenix

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Hi PSGC!

A good place to start here is with the Index. Here, you'll find lot's of information about all things SETI and BOINC related.

As for add-on programs, the best place to go for information is at SETI@home itself here. Add ons used here are SETI Monitor, SETI Stats and SETI Spy (as well as some star mapping programs, but the three above are probably more useful (at least as regarding caching WU's and recording data about WU's).

Differences about SETI@home and BOINC and the reason for change are described once again on SETI@home website here, although, again, reference to our Index will give an ATS perspective!!

Good luck PSGC - any further help, please ask!!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Thank you Genya!!!

I'm a VERY happy Phoenix Now...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixSGC

I'm a VERY happy Phoenix Now...

I am sooo pleased PSGC!!
Seriously, SETI@home and BOINC have such a "fel good" factor, it is always a pleaure to "spread the word"!!

Happy crunching!!

xn

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
BOINC stands for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing. This is a new framework for multiple distributed computing projects such as Seti@Home. Other projects like Folding@Home are looking into BOINC and may switch to this framework.

BOINC replaces the current Seti@Home, but that won't happen until a few months after BOINC releases since bugs need to get fixed.

BOINC is a program that downloads the actual executable file for the project you've joined such as Seti@Home.

BOINC uses a new credit system (current workunits will not transfer over). Using BOINC, it's possible to cache workunits instead of waiting to download another workunit.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Thanks, that does help alot actually, thank you

new topics

top topics

join