It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notifications of thread replies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I find myself sometimes refreshing a thread many times in a small amount of time to see if anyone has yet replied to it. They aren't necessarily my threads, but just a thread I've been active in.

Does ATS have any functionality to alert me when someone has responded to the thread or to a post of mine? A pop-up window, perhaps?

I'd like to see a click-able area on threads, perhaps a "Notifications" buttons that sends thread id info to a small app that runs in the system tray. Once a thread that you are monitoring is replied to, you'll get an update. Maybe the program checks every 30 seconds or so.

Certainly it wouldn't be very hard. I'm sure the ATS database is able to correlate between threadid and numberofposts or however you have it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I agree. I'd like a notification system set up aswell, but they dont have one, and as far as I know are not including on in the upgrade, though I requested it in the upgrade thread. Heres to hoping!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I would like to put my hand up for this too.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There's a green subscribe "button" on the bottom left of the screen. Maybe that does something? I'm afraid to activate it.
I might get too many notifications maybe/ I suppose I could read something somewhere concerning this.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Oh, wait. Now it's a pink unscribe button.

I really should read more about operating on this site I guess.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

That just adds the thread to your Subscribe list in MyATS

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
They do. Every time you post in a thread, you can go click the myATS button and if anyone has replied to that thread it will show the title of the thread and who posted it. If you click that little green thing next to the name it sends you directly to the last post.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
My ATS is nice to see if someone has responded after you but it would be nice to know if someone specifically replied to your posts.

I think this would be a nice feature.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Private message notification of direct replies to posts is part of the new functionality in ATS.2010... coming soon.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Private message notification of direct replies to posts is part of the new functionality in ATS.2010... coming soon.

Glad to see it (or perhaps something similar) is being worked on. Thanks.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I've asked for such a feature ever since I've been on here.

www.FREEREPUBLIC.COM...

has such a feature on it's

COMMENTS page which lists all the posts one has made, in one color and all the replies in another color. And all the posts one has read to or from in a 3rd color.

VERY HANDY, FAST, EFFICIENT. One of the best features of the site.

Personally, I am disillusioned with all the excuses about why such a feature is unworkable or too expensive or whatever else for ATS.

It seems extremely counterproductive to avoid designing and implementing such a feature.

I believe it would increase page views tremendously. I'd think that would increase ad revenue significantly.

FREEREPUBLIC has 1.2 to 2 million unique visitors per month. So size cannot be the issue.

Sigh

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

GLAD TO READ OF IT.

Isn't that a pretty clunky way to do it, however?

Have you checked out

www.FREEREPUBLIC.COM...

and it's "comments" page?

[One might have to register and exchange a few posts to see how the feature works]

In one page with either just titles and a few lines of the responses or with the full responses, one can see in a flash all one's recent exchanges to and from. If one is in a hurry, one can easily select the priority posts and/or threads to attend to.

Having to open msgs to get very far with responses seems really unnecessarily clunky, to me.

IT'S A LOT BETTER THAN NOTHING--HOWEVER--

There must be a better solution available.

new topics

top topics

join