It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age limits for service, in Constitution, is WRONG

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
When you are 40 and look back on what you were like at 18 or 19, you'll understand why a minimum age limit is in order.

When I was 18, I had strong political views. Now I'm 42 and those views have not changed, but have been reinforced through study of U.S. History and seeing more of our two party system circus over the years.

When your 18, you only have a few years since you've been 'awake' of experience to draw on. Now at 42 I can say I understandstand what I knew at 18 so much better and deeper.

At 18 you want to go out and save the world. At 42 your better equipped to do that and hopefully have the bonus of experience to not let the crooks thwart your progress - you can see through their ploys better to stop them.

This is what the people are looking for in a candidate and why they likely will not vote for an 18 year old. You will also be easier to manipulate at that age because of inexperience even if you don't believe that now.. it's true.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This concept has crossed my mind once or twice.

I agree with all those here that say there can be a vast difference in wisdom, knowledge and even views from 18 to 35, 40 and on. I have known some who were smarter and wiser at 18 than 40.

I don't think that is the point of the question.

Who is deemed 'wiser' should not be decided by age, and therefor 'qualified' to be ____, but the votes of the individual thinking citizen.

I can understand citizenship and state of residency. I don't think the age requirement is necessary.

To the OP: I think this particular issue is an odd one to seem so upset about. If you want to lead, I recommend what others have posted, that you start locally and work your way up.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

You said...

2) In a TRUE DEMOCRACY, the burden is on those running for office to convince the public that THEY represent their best interests, and are the best man/woman for the job.

My response...

The united States of America is a constitutional republic. TPTB have brainwashed you in school and on TV (idiot-box) to believe that you live in a DEMOCRACY.

A democracy is a tyranny by the majority.

BTW: The lower case “u” in 'united States of America' is technically correct when describing the union of the sovereign states of our great nation. To confirm this just read the original handwritten constitution.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I would like to add an additional thought to my about post.

In today's world a democracy is a tyranny by the media controllers who have perfected the ability to program the majority to elect puppets that will do their bidding.

This is why most people feel so disconnected from representation. This is why the health care bill was pushed through despite overwhelming public opposition. This is why we live under the power of a “shadow” government.

Our only hope is that the majority eventually “wakes-up”, turns of the “idiot-box”, and demands real representation from yet to be created (non-puppet) politicians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join