It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Magic Newbie

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hi. As some of you know I've reasonly decided to study magic(k) but I'm lost.

I wanna know if anyone that has any knowledge about it could help me.

What I'm looking for is: Books about the topic, rites and spells, practicing magic and how to guides.

I really hope that some of you are able to help me.

Thanks in advance.



Cyber3000




posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000
 


If you use any torrent downloading utilities, there are tons of free, public domain, and otherwise impossible to find books on the subject. About a year ago, I searched the term "Esoteric" and got one .rar file that was two DVDs of books about magic from every angle imaginable. Sorry I do not have a specific book for you but it is a fun place to go look anyway.



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000
 


The best one to start with I usually recdcomend is Buckland's Complete book of witchcraft. Also Yasmine Galenorn's books you can google her.



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hmm... I think if you really want to start learning magick, than you need to learn the philosophy first before doing any rite and ritual... etc..

It is better if you can find a mentor.

If you truly want to learn it and with good intention, ask the universe and you shall receive.



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You could either read a book of fairy tales, or seek out A.E.Waite's 'Book of Black Magic' privately printed in 1898 and of which I have a copy. No, I will not lend it to you...

Also look out for books by Eliphas Levi, Aleister Crowley and others involved in the Order of the Golden Dawn.



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki
 

Since I'm not at any experience do you honestly think that it will be a good idea to start with a book titled: "Book of Black Magic"?


reply to post by thepathoverseer
 

Of cause i want to be sure of what I'm doing before I do anything. I don't wanna mess up what ever that can go wrong. I don't really know how to find a mentor. I don't think that its very common to practice magick.
As for the universe thing. I think that if I find out what I can about magick it would be easier to get an answer from the universe since I know what too look for. :/



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
And just so I'm sure of this. When we debate magick its not the magick like Harry Potter and Willow mainstream magick right? :S



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyber3000
reply to post by aorAki
 

Since I'm not at any experience do you honestly think that it will be a good idea to start with a book titled: "Book of Black Magic"?


reply to post by thepathoverseer
 

Of cause i want to be sure of what I'm doing before I do anything. I don't wanna mess up what ever that can go wrong. I don't really know how to find a mentor. I don't think that its very common to practice magick.
As for the universe thing. I think that if I find out what I can about magick it would be easier to get an answer from the universe since I know what too look for. :/




Well, I was once like you. I ask for a mentor and about 3 months later I found the mentor to study with.

I didn't exactly gone out of my way to look for one, it just happen I did.


Sometimes, you meet someone the universe send to you in a unexpected way.



To get a direct information from the universe, you have to be in sync and perhaps very good at meditating,

some people are being taught by entities not of Earth, but it really depend on who you are and if you are suitable.



posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki
 


Man, I saw a copy of that one at a local second-hand bookstore a few months ago. They wanted a lil' over 200 for it. I didn't have the funds on me at the time. I went and got 'em. Went back the next day to get the book and it was gone.

I was soooo pissed!

 


@ the OP:

I wouldn't call myself a mentor per se, however, I have spent a long time in the various arts. So my recommendations would be:

Buckland's Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
Witchcraft Theory and Practice by Lee De Angeles
The Magician's Companion by Billy Whitcomb
The Magician's Tables by Alan Richardson

Then, if you want specific things (hermetics, kemeticism, kaballah, divination, etc) I'd recommend just coming back on here and specifying something you're interested in. I'm sure myself, or others' could point you in a good direction.

~ Wandering Scribe

[edit on 20/5/10 by Wandering Scribe]



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by aorAki
 


Man, I saw a copy of that one at a local second-hand bookstore a few months ago. They wanted a lil' over 200 for it. I didn't have the funds on me at the time. I went and got 'em. Went back the next day to get the book and it was gone.

I was soooo pissed!

 


@ the OP:

I wouldn't call myself a mentor per se, however, I have spent a long time in the various arts. So my recommendations would be:

Buckland's Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
Witchcraft Theory and Practice by Lee De Angeles
The Magician's Companion by Billy Whitcomb
The Magician's Tables by Alan Richardson

Then, if you want specific things (hermetics, kemeticism, kaballah, divination, etc) I'd recommend just coming back on here and specifying something you're interested in. I'm sure myself, or others' could point you in a good direction.

~ Wandering Scribe

[edit on 20/5/10 by Wandering Scribe]


I would recommend Israel Regardies, this is too much for a beginner.

The don't know about the rest of the books beside the Magician Companion I think might be a good book for begginerish.



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I asked the same question a few year's ago from a good friend.

Her answer was:The best stuff around is Greer. (John Michael, I believe.) Get "Circles of Power" and, if you're interested in working with a serious group, "Inside a Magical Lodge."

These books will take you through the theory step by step--great for a beginner--but are quite sophisticated. Easty to read, and will form the basis for all your magical exploration. And they'll spoil you for the rest of the crap out there

These will give you a good beginning.

Good Luck.



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyber3000

Since I'm not at any experience do you honestly think that it will be a good idea to start with a book titled: "Book of Black Magic"?




Then why do you think it isn't?




Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by aorAki
 


Man, I saw a copy of that one at a local second-hand bookstore a few months ago. They wanted a lil' over 200 for it. I didn't have the funds on me at the time. I went and got 'em. Went back the next day to get the book and it was gone.

I was soooo pissed!


I thank my Uncle.

I guess it may have something to do with Havelock North.




[edit on 20/5/10 by Wandering Scribe]

I would recommend Israel Regardies, this is too much for a beginner.


Where does one begin?



What is Magick?




[edit on 21-5-2010 by aorAki]

[edit on 21-5-2010 by aorAki]



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000
 


Why do you want to learn magik? What is your motivation apart from curiosity?



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki
 



I mean I wouldn't recommend Isrelie Regardies I can't seem to edit my previous post.


Magick is a form of manipulation of energies by will that can bring manifestation.

One should start is to learn the basic and build a strong foundation before trampling onto high form of magick because your body may not have the capacity to hold certain amount of energies that is require to perform certain task.

But where to begin? It depending on what path is calling to you. It is for non-dabbles because it would get you anywhere, at least not by far.

[edit on 5/21/2010 by thepathoverseer]



posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000
 


Israel Regardie and Dion Fortune are great places to start. Leave crowley alone for a long time. Find a lodge, coven or group and discuss with them.


Here is my blessing " May you make your mistakes early in your magical career or not at all"





posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thepathoverseer
 


Some of Regardies' material is heavy and hard to comprehend. But "The Golden Dawn" is only a daunting volume if you let its size scare you. The lessons are written in plain English, are short, and come with plenty of memos and reminders of things.

As long as someone is willing to give the massive volume a chance, it's first quarter can be very, very useful. Astrology, god-form, meditation, standard magickal rites (Blessing/Banishing of the Pentagram), and a lot more is laid out in easy language.

 


I do agree that magickal journey's should begin small and then work to more daunting material. There are plenty of writers who dictate the basics. But for this, we would need to know the OP's intended path.

Aleister Crowley (Thelema)
Israel Regardie (Qabala)
Dione Fortune (the Occult)
Madame Blavatsky (Theosophy)
Gerald Gardner (Witchcraft)
John Michael Greer (Druidry/Tarot)
Raymond Buckland (Wicca)
Isaac Bonewits (Druidry)
Billy Whitcomb (referrence)
Alan Richardson (referrence)
Lee De Angeles (Hereditary magic)
Migene Gonzalez-Whippler (talismans and amulets)
Simon (paganism and polytheism)

There are probably numerous other good authors. But those are some that are in my library. They help me with basics and advanced theories.

~ Scribe



posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
On Regardie the book that I have been returning to read for over 30 years is "The tree of life - a study in magic". It is not a difficult read.

I would not read or buy the Regardie's book on the Golden Dawn as it is full of the rituals of a ceremonial magical lodge which is complicated due to requiring equipment and other capable magicians. It is therefore far away from where you would bve starting off. It is also low on theory.

Be advised that many books are rip offs as plagiarism is rampant in occult publishing and has been the situation for over three centuaries.

Not all books are worth buying.

For the umpteenth time it is better to join a reputable orgsanisation run by sensible and grounded people. There are a lot of things that have not been published that you get from conversations


[edit on 22-5-2010 by Tiger5]

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Tiger5]



posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyber3000
Hi. As some of you know I've reasonly decided to study magic(k) but I'm lost.

I wanna know if anyone that has any knowledge about it could help me.

What I'm looking for is: Books about the topic, rites and spells, practicing magic and how to guides.

I really hope that some of you are able to help me.

Thanks in advance.



Cyber3000


For an absolute novice I would recommend reading anything by Raymond Buckland ... very easy to read and follow and will give you a good flavour of the Craft ... then as others have already suggested you will have more of an idea of the particular path you wish to specialize in and weather you wish to follow a 'Solitary' path or find a Coven with which to work.

Woody



posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000
 


Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is a good place to start. It focuses more on the wiccan aspect, but it has a lot of good info which can be used by a solitary practitioner. It includes lessons and such.

Blue softback book with a giant silver pentacle on the front - can't miss it.



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join