It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates renews veto threat over F-35 engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Gates renews veto threat over F-35 engine

rawstory.com

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday renewed threats of a presidential veto if Congress funds a second engine for the F-35 fighter jet or additional cargo aircraft.

The House Armed Services Committee defied the Pentagon this week, adding extra money in the 2011 defense budget for an alternative engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).

Some Republican lawmakers have also called for adding funds for more C-17 planes, ignoring recommendations from Gates and Air Force commanders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
From what I gathered from the source article this entire argument is over an alternative engine for the f-35 strike fighter. The current engine is made by Pratt and Whitney. The alternative engine is by GE and Rolls Royce. It is probably very true that an alternative engine would be an un necessary cost. But could it be a possibility that Gates is holding out because he wants something else he is not getting?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

GE and Rolls Royce? Aren't they the ones who donated billions to the Obamanation? The ones who brought us the Airbus! The ones who currently supply technology to Iran!
I'm surprised he hasn't invited Mikoyan-Gurevich to bid on the engines as well!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yeah congress must be stopped if they want to pass a bill with funds to pay for another engine.

This is a waste of money. I know they all want to LOOK patriotic by giving the contract to US corporations, but come on now. The F-35 is a common project.

Also better start saving your money because you'll need it soon to pay for the bombing of North Korea, Iran, Syria and Lebanon.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

GE and Rolls Royce? Aren't they the ones who donated billions to the Obamanation? The ones who brought us the Airbus! The ones who currently supply technology to Iran!

I'm with you on GE Rolls Royce and Airbus. As my grandfather was very high up in Boeing! lol

However, I don't find it any worse that they sell technology to Iran than Canada.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'll admit i have not followed this story, but if not for the Rolls Royce Merlin engine the P-51 Mustang would not have been the machine it turned out to be. Whats wrong with testing, don't need to mass produce unless it is proven. Star and flag for you!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

Originally posted by Violater1

I'm with you on GE Rolls Royce and Airbus. As my grandfather was very high up in Boeing! lol

However, I don't find it any worse that they sell technology to Iran than Canada.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by breakingdradles]

So basically We Canadians are just as bad as Iranians? We ignore our neighbor to the south? We argue and try to intimidate you and order you to do what we wish to be done. I guess we can pull our troops out of Afghanistan earlier then we want to. I also guess we don't have to do anything else to help you. If another 9/11 happens we wont bother sending any of our firemen or police or medical personnel. We will just sit back and watch like Iran. We can finally close our borders and protect ourselves from the evil Mexicans coming up from the US.

Painting us in the same light as Iran is just blatant stupidity and arrogance. If you didn't have us chances are you wouldn't have many friends. and most likely have been destroyed by the USSR during the cold war. since your "early warning system was based in Canada, along with a couple of your nukes. oh and NORAD stations. I don't mind the average American who thinks Canada is a state of the Us, I don't mind that they assume we all speak french, live in Igloos, play hockey year round on our back yard rinks, Live on welfare, and eat poutine. I do however take great offense to being put in the same context as Iran. We do a lot for your country and even if your leaders don't want to admit it, along with everything else they know. I figured people on this site would at least have the intelligence to recognize this or be willing to look it up.

As for the OP I hate to see your congress turn around and win one for the people when in fact they keep winning one for themselves and are only using this to A. say oh look tax payers" we saved your billions on this one" and B. come vote time they get to show off how they did a great service to Thee the people.

its a catch 22, they either burn the idea, save money, and win votes from the sheeple. Or they let it go, spend money and the sheeple pay.

Either way the sheeple are screwed and don't even know it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Thanks to all for posting.

I don't know the whys or reasons for trying to fund the engine by GE. I got nothing against there engines. It just does sound like just another way to waste some money on a project that does not really need to be.

top topics

join