It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial life created in a lab for the first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Artificial life created in a lab for the first time

www.telegraph.co.uk

They manufactured a new chromosome from artificial DNA in a test tube, then transferred it into an empty cell and watched it multiply – the very definition of being alive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Scientist Craig Venter creates life for first time in laboratory sparking debate about 'playing god'Dr Craig Venter, a multi-millionaire pioneer in genetics, and his team have managed to make a completely new "synthetic" life form from a mix of chemicals.
My comments? Where do i start? At what point would you say that this was the way to go? I mean this is really bordering on ridiculous now. This is so wrong. More importantly how has it been allowed. If allowed to continue i think personally we will see all SHTF.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So they're pulling out of their backsides what they've been playing with for many decades already. NWO is arriving, with their idea of nerfing or depopulating humans and developing their synthetic slaves.

Not On My Watch!

Not that this isn't worthy and interesting, it is. But what applications, and also, since life would probably have a soul, what are they treating their test subjects like?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

This is so wrong.

I have no problem with it. And I see nothing wrong with playing God.

I simply suggest that if we're going to, let's do so wisely.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
WOW!
This is crazy as... so,
yeah, something I feel certain has already been in the pipeline so to speak for a while now, albeit behind the scenes.
personally, I shudder to think of the moral and ethical ramifications this 'playing God' will bring up.
I mean, are we ready as a species to handle this responsibility - and where and when will it stop? How far are we prepared to go?
Something else on humanity's plate, and we have enough going on globally as it is...mentally,spiritually, physically and emotionally I think the results will have tremendous long term impact but at this stage...? Just golly gosh!
Will it be utilised to supplement current Artificial Intelligence research/development?
Does something created synthetically in a lab simulating the building blocks of biological life also carry that elusive "spark' we find within each of us - that unique defining 'spirit' founded from the primordial soup we collectively emerged from aeons ago?
Do these cells have rights?
Do they develop independantly of us?
Is there an equality issue?
How do we attempt to nurture and cherish this knowledge with respect and productivity?
So many questions, so little time...
Wag.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I enjoyed Stewart Swerdlow's comment about this in his "Illuminati News":

May 22, 2010
Artificial Life

Scientists working together in Maryland and California have created the "first" artificial DNA which they injected into a live cell bacterium which then followed the new set of artificial genetic instructions, thus creating the "first" artificial living cell!

The scientists claim that this technology will be used to create new types of bacteria with all new functions that will help mankind--like eating oil spills etc.

However, we all know that this is not where it will stop. Just like genetically altered plants and animals, this newly created artificial DNA can be used for military purposes as well as for creating real BORGs in the world.

If they are releasing this info now, that is a sure sign that it has been around for decades and is way beyond what is revealed to the public.

Perhaps they can artificially create soldiers who can fly, breathe underwater and have laser hands. Maybe there are cows that can milk themselves. The possibilities are endless, when you play God. But, Mother Nature always fights back!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Oh my , isnt everyone getting a little over excited ? I could understand your ire if there was a chance that what comes out of that petri dish was going to be walking amongst us tomorrow, but thats just nothing like the case ! This is just a tiny little collection of cells, doing not alot apart from multiplying. So what ? Scientists have rebuilt in kit form, a pre existing life form, from parts they had laying around and made one TINY change in it to distinguish it from the original. Wow guys . Wonderful.
As unimpressed as I was by this news, Im getting pretty pig sick of all the ethics nazis who think that any knowlege of our inner workings is the work of satan and not to be trusted. Just so we are clear , being a bunch of pig ignorant savages with the intellectual fortitude of a dead cat, does NOT provide you with the moral highground. It provides you a renewal on your subscriptions to "Head In The Sand" monthly magazine, giving you hints on how best to accidentaly miss the apocalypse through fear based hiding strategies .
The technological and biological know how shown by this work , could have great potential benifits if performed correctly and regulated appropriately , so its often hard to see why people have principle based objections to the work being carried out.It has after all been instigated in part to see if organs can be tailor made to fit people rather than having to be donated . I personaly have a principle based objection with people being more worried about pissing God off , than they are about the health and well being of thier fellow man. I think in all honesty that God probably wouldnt be all that chuffed to find humanity stuffed to the gunnels with people so PIOUS and thusly PATHETIC, that they would let a fellow man, die, rather than risk the wrath of the Lord, who in himself is supposed to be merciful!

[edit on 22-5-2010 by TrueBrit]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here is the man behind it himself talking about it on TED. Quite amazing stuff.

Craig Venter unveils "synthetic life": www.ted.com...

And the have this to say about him:

In 2001, Craig Venter made headlines for sequencing the human genome. In 2003, he started mapping the ocean's biodiversity. And now, in 2010, he's created the first synthetic lifeforms -- microorganisms that can produce alternative fuels.

www.ted.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This is amazing, but I doubt this is making life. They are using this to create biofuels, not mammals or whatever. Didn’t they use existing DNA, then change some things up to make it synthetic?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Did you see the video? Creating biofuels is just one of the multitude of applications they plan to investigate using this technology in the future. This team has put together millions of DNA bytes synthesised by basically a computer and four different chemicals to create a self replicating bacteria. Other applications would be to combat as different diseases as AIDS and cancer, or as I mentioned: turn CO2 into biofuels more efficiently.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

I got about 4 minutes through then my internet got screwed up

I agree this is big though

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

You really should try to see the video again. It's quite amazing to hear the visions concerning this directly from the horse's mouth so to speak.

new topics

top topics

join