It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Solar Still. Emergency water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I came across this design today and had to share it. Easily built and can provide a quart of water per day.
www.desertusa.com...

the Solar Still was developed by two physicians working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Results of extensive testing in the Arizona deserts by the U.S. Air Force proved that when properly assembled, the still can save your life
There are only 2 essential components to constructing the Solar Still -- a container to catch the water and a 6 x 6-footsheet of clear plastic. A shovel or trowel, a length of plastic tube and tape are all optional
The best part of this life-saving device is that for something that collects water from seemingly nothing, the solar still is amazingly simple to build. Here's how:

1. Dig a pit approximately 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Use a shovel, hand trowel, a digging stick or even your hands in soft soil or sand. Look for a sandy wash or a depression where rainwater might collect.

2. . In the center of the pit, dig another small hole deep enough for the water container.

3. Place the container inside, then run the tubing from the container to the outside of the pit. If there is tape available, tape the tubing to the inside of the container.

4. Blanket the pit with the plastic sheet, evenly on all sides, but not touching the bottom of the pit. Anchor the corners with rocks.

5. Find a small rounded rock to place in the center of the sheet, over the water container. This will keep the plastic centered and control any flapping from the wind. Gently push down on the center weight until the sides slope to a 45ยบ angle. If the pit is dug deep enough, this should leave the center weight just a few inches above the water container.

6. Next, secure the edges of the plastic sheet with rocks and dirt. Make sure there are no places where moisture can escape.

7. Close the tubing end with a knot, or double it and tie it closed

[edit on 20-5-2010 by awakentired]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Solar Still was developed by two physicians working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture

lol two physicians. Yeah i did this in third grade science class.
You can pee in and add plant material to the area surrounding the collection bucket to get more.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have made many of these solar stills and they work even in Death Valley area of Calif but you will need at least 5 per person and they work best if you find a area in a wash or dry stream bed with a rock out cropping that blocks underground water flow.
Two things i would add to the kit one is a small hand pump to transfer the water from the still to containers.
www.amazon.com...

And the other is 5 Collapsible-1-Gallon-Water-Containers
www.amazon.com...

This would allow you to build up a water supply over a few days then break down the stills and travel a distance.

Also these solar stills do not have to be small i have build one over 20 foot across. over a plastic lined water pond.
We had plenty of brackish water but got tired of hauling drinking water.
so we built a solar still to distill the brackish water.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I dont know if you watch Surviorman, but he made a urine still when he was in the desert.

Same principle as you stated, put you pee in a small trench around the bowl. As the urine is evaporated, the liquid is recollected in the bowl. Of course, you'd want your own trench, but if you're on your own, any little bit of water helps.

By the way, Survivorman is far superior to Man Vs. Wild. I highly suggest you check it out if you haven't done so already.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The solar still is one of the most effective ways of getting water without a doubt I have made them for fun before now and was surprised by the results.

top topics

join