It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul's Controversial Racist Views

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Oh by the way, your title is misleading. You make it sound like he has racist views.

For the record. 2 flag and 5 pages - No-one likes your thread.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by The_Zomar]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

One spot, I could not put in a ramp, too much slope, had to install stairs. To get around the code, we had to add 200 feet of sidewalk to go all the way around this building to the other side of the stairs. What a waste of money.

You have obviously never been in or pushed someone in a wheelchair.
Hope you never have to. Money would be the least of your worries.

It must be convenient being an EXPERT on every single thread topic you blabber on about. Makes me wonder sometimes.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

That was a 136 unit complex. That is 68 ADA compliant apartments.

So, now every apartment and house has to be built to comply with ADA requirements which in turn drives up the costs of production and also causes other problems, like flooding problems.

So instead of disputing my assertions you dissemble and accuse me of what?

Sorry, I am a human being. I exist to better myself and the world that surrounds me. Is that a problem?

Grew up on dairy farm. Learned agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry amongst a hundred other things. In grade schools took every elective I was interested in. In college had aircraft mechanics and engineering, also business administration. Worked for many different fields after college including assembling the fastest and most advanced computers ever built. The Cray computer. XMP and YMP. Finished off with getting into construction where I learned building codes, construction engineering, architecture,
, computers and anything about construction I had not learned while running my own business in construction.

I am a sponge when it comes to info.

I will not apologize for or obfuscate my intelligence and knowledge. For one, I make mistakes and apologize for them when I make them. I am not prideful, but I am also not meek.

For your info, I live in the same city as my mother now. I take her to all of her appointments and when she wants to visit people. I built the ADA compliant ramp on her house. I have an uncle that is quadriplegic and take him to different restaurants when I can afford it. I once had major back surgery for a broken L5 vertebrae and was laid up for 6 months.

Sorry to tell you this but I could give a rat's petooty about your feelings or the beliefs of people that think mandating anything is the right thing to do.

Life is short and I care about me and mine. Social justice has nothing to do with reality. Mandating anything accomplishes nothing.

I am a spiritual person not religious. Charity and righteousness begins in your own heart, not at the instruction of the DAMN GOVERNMENT!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i think your all missing the point here, Rand Paul supports freedom and the American constitution. He is trying to be as politically correct and not sound racist in his wording in the videos your seeing.

its pretty simple really...

how can you tell someone they cant discriminate but at the same time tell them they have the right to freedom of speech and the right to private property?

Simple put, He doesn't support racism, He wouldn't associate himself with anyone who would discriminate BUT, if the American Constitution is suppose to be greater then all other laws then the government has absolutely no right to tell someone that they cant discriminate, that is there right as Americans.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Calling Rand Paul's views on the private business mandate that requires all businesses to serve all, racist, is a red herring. Anybody who doesn't understand what he is saying needs to listen closer or take a course in comprehension. It is not racist to support the right to be racist, by that logic anyone who supports the right to be gay is automatically a homosexual. As many previous posters have stated, this is about freedom, not race. Rand has even stated that he believes anybody who would choose to refuse service to anyone for such reasons would be making a mistake and he wouldn't agree with their decision, but to force them into agreement is something he won't support either. I actually would have to agree with him on this issue. I would not agree with business owners who wish to segregate their business, I would find such an action deplorable, but I would not mandate that they change their viewpoint and require them to run their business in a certain way. The best way to go about ridding the world of backward ideologies, such as racism, is not through government mandate, it is through education. I am fairly certain that in the year 2010, the majority of businesses that would choose to take the segregation route would go under rather quickly anyways. I wouldn't give my business to any such place, and I'm sure there are many others that wouldn't either. I would also like to point out that this can work both ways, and actually saying both ways is even too narrow. There is an endless amount of criteria a business owner could use for selecting their patrons, does this mean they will? No, and even if they do, how long do you think they would last?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Rand Paul is not a racists but a Libertarian, which believe that Government should be spelled with a little g instead of a big G. Anyways, all these anti racists laws can be gotten around simply by not talking about it to any perspective hire or possible tenant and so on. One can simply say they haven't decided then choose the person they want. The civil rights laws really apply to large corporations who make it policy to discriminate on a mass scale. That was where it was originally aimed.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Grew up on dairy farm. Learned agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry amongst a hundred other things. In grade schools took every elective I was interested in. In college had aircraft mechanics and engineering, also business administration. Worked for many different fields after college including assembling the fastest and most advanced computers ever built. The Cray computer. XMP and YMP. Finished off with getting into construction where I learned building codes, construction engineering, architecture,
, computers and anything about construction I had not learned while running my own business in construction.

I am a sponge when it comes to info.

Sorry to tell you this but I could give a rat's petooty about your feelings or the beliefs of people that think mandating anything is the right thing to do.

Life is short and I care about me and mine. Social justice has nothing to do with reality. Mandating anything accomplishes nothing.

I am a spiritual person not religious. Charity and righteousness begins in your own heart, not at the instruction of the DAMN GOVERNMENT!

Since you love yourself so much I got you a present. It is nice and long just the way you like 'em. Hope it fits.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/70f94bb51d74.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 21-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
now he's DEFENDING BP!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL RAND??????

Geezus I am embarrassed for supporting this man.

It's not even an American company you frickin idiot!!!!!!!!!!

BP ----BRITISH PETROLEUM.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

IMO, a racist business would have limited customers(like-minded people) or no business. Either way, it fails.

Racist businesses do have limited, like-minded customers who are very happy and loyal. It's like an anchovy pizza or a really stinky gourmet cheese...most people don't like it, but those who are into it tend to like it a lot.

Shifting the frame a bit, don't you think that if it was allowed, there would be numerous gay bars for men only?...I bet it would happen real quick.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Remember the rule about feeding?
You wont quell a born argumentatives hunger End.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hes now calling out these propagandists for who they are. Good for him.

Rand Paul Rips George Stephanopoulos: Your Talking Points Come from MSNBC, DNC

Senatorial candidate Rand Paul appeared on Friday's Good Morning America and aggressively fought back against former Democratic operative turned journalist George Stephanopoulos. The ABC host repeatedly touted liberal spin, prompting the Republican to mock, "Where do your talking points come from? The Democrat National Committee. They also come from Rachel Maddow and MSNBC."

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You miss the point! By a freaking mile.
Some jerkwads business interest do not trump an American citizens rights to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. WHAT is the Governments job if not to protect the Rights of ALL of it's citizens?
To protect the "rights" of business? Geez, thats what they are doing right now.
Money comes before justice. The Federal Government has a DUTY to enforce the US Constitution and see to it that EVERY CITIZEN gets the rights and protections guaranteed!

I think you're the one missing the point. Those citizens have every right to then go out and start a business that only hires blacks or queers or whatever. It's the free market and entrepreneurial spirit that made and can again make this country strong.

The constitution gives the government a layout of exactly what powers it's supposed to hold. Making sure that a certain percentage of the people hired by someone's business is NOT one of those powers.

Jaden

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
I have a few questions for all you Libertarians.

If you own a restaurant should you have the right to refuse service to anyone based on whatever criteria you please?

If so, then does that mean that your criteria can be applied consistently, and therefore in a discriminating manner, toward identifiable populations?

For example, imagine that you don't trust black people and you don't want them on your premises, which you own. Should you be able to exclude them (not should you, but should you be able to)?

Can you not see that despite what Paul says, his position is tantamount to reinstating Jim Crow/segregation laws in parts of the U.S.?

Do you really think our government does not have a legitimate interest in protecting all citizens against the prejudices of a few?

yes, you have the right to refuse service to anyone for ANY reason. We used to have signs placed in businesses stating this exact thing...

Yes, it can be used consistently against ANY segment of society of your choosing. You telling me, that you can't say no to someone coming into your home and eating dinner with your family based on any criteria of your choosing???

Of course you should be able to exclude black people from your property if you so choose. Or anybody for that matter, and it's not my business to tell you whether that's what they should do or not. I can choose to be a patron of theirs if I know that's what their doing and it can be a good business decision or a bad one, but it's the OWNER'S decision, not mine and not the government's.

segregation is not the issue here. we are talking about private property, not public property. Public property I can understand the government having the right to institute rules governing to an extent.

I state that the government has NO right whatsoever to protect people from discrimination in private industry and on private property.

Jaden

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by brainwrek

Oh Good God!
You people are just....too much.
thanks Mr Constitution!

Yeah Brainwrek, you're too much, pointing out what powers the constitution really delegates to the federal government and showing me to be wrong. arrgghhh.... what am I supposed to say if you keep pointing out my inaccuracies and lies?????

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

The queers don't have protected status under federal law like the blacks and the whatevers. If they are included in anti-discrimination laws, it's at the state or local level.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
In addition to fervor over Paul's perceived "racists" comments I take great issue to his stance on ADA. (American's with Disabilities Act) I walk with a cane due to partial leg paralysis resulting from a stroke. I also have a Handicap parking placard. (I've never divulged that before on here.)

My elderly mother is confined to a wheelchair as well and we frequent many restaurants, retail shops and grocery stores. Without proper parking or access, her life would be further severely hampered. I find Mr. Paul's stance on this topic troubling.

thinkprogress.org...

BTW, I am also a small business owner and welcome any potential client / employee without regard to race, religion, color creed or mobility.

REALLY???? and as a small business owner, how would you feel if someone came in and told you that you can't do that??? that you can only serve minorities? or only gays, "I'm sorry sir, this area has been delegated a homosexual protected area and only gays can be served here,"

That's in effect what forcing business owners who would choose who they serve to serve or hire certain peoples is doing....

Jaden

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Rand on CNN:

Rand: Let's say you have a local office and you have a two story office and one of your workers is handicapped. Should you not be allowed maybe to offer them an office on the first floor, or should you be forced to put in a hundred thousand dollar elevator?

The ADA guidelines:

(5)* One passenger elevator complying with 4.10 shall serve each level, including mezzanines, in all multi-story buildings and facilities unless exempted below. If more than one elevator is provided, each passenger elevator shall comply with 4.10. Appendix Note

EXCEPTION 1: Elevators are not required in:

(a) private facilities that are less than three stories or that have less than 3000 square feet per story unless the building is a shopping center, a shopping mall, or the professional office of a health care provider, or another type of facility as determined by the Attorney General; or

(b) public facilities that are less than three stories and that are not open to the general public if the story above or below the accessible ground floor houses no more than five persons and is less than 500 square feet. Examples may include, but are not limited to, drawbridge towers and boat traffic towers, lock and dam control stations, and train dispatching towers.

The elevator exemptions set forth in paragraphs (a) and (b) do not obviate or limit in any way the obligation to comply with the other accessibility requirements established in section 4.1.3. For example, floors above or below the accessible ground floor must meet the requirements of this section except for elevator service. If toilet or bathing facilities are provided on a level not served by an elevator, then toilet or bathing facilities must be provided on the accessible ground floor. In new construction, if a building or facility is eligible for exemption but a passenger elevator is nonetheless planned, that elevator shall meet the requirements of 4.10 and shall serve each level in the building. A passenger elevator that provides service from a garage to only one level of a building or facility is not required to serve other levels.

www.access-board.gov...

And I don't think his views on civil rights are indicative of racism. Just of teh crazy.

What is slightly pathetic is that he wouldn't just fess up to the consequences of his views. Be honest, man!

[edit on 21-5-2010 by melatonin]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is much more of a chance Obama is a racist, but did the same media do anything at all to flesh that out? Of course not, they spent their time attacking those who did ask the question.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
OK. First, as an independent in a Libertarian suit, my first impression of Rand Paul was heres a guy who is the poster child of clueless. He didn't come off to me so much as a bigot, he didn't have that characteristic " I'm a victim of life" attitude. And I do understand as a ''debating point', the view Rand Paul has that a business has the right to hire or serve who they want. A business like a bar can throw out a customer who's a drunk or an octopus, but it's not the same.

But how can someone live through the later 20th century in the US, and not be aware of the passions and reasons of it's most important social movement? Some guy's leave pandemonium in their wake not because their evil, their just so f****** stupid. You want this guy in government? Then again maybe there he'll do less damage. As a business owner, like most, I'm possessive. But in my country into the 1960's minorities often couldn't get in interview or walk in a store. White people who had black maid's and handymen they considered friends would never think of serving or working with a minority. That attitude creates whole communities limited to "acceptable" people. If you don't care it's unfair, it's stupid business.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Good post.
Look folks, I don't know if either Paul is a racist, but I do know their policies would allow racism to re-institutionalize itself in America.
Paul and his ilk are the Constitutional equivilants of Fundamentalists to the Bible. This kind of Fundamentalist ( if it doesn't say it specifically, it doesn't exist) doesn't even allow the possibility that another interptetation might be valid!
It's EXACTLY like the "The Bible says it, I believe it" philosophy. Fundies believe we would all live perfectly if we followed "Gods Laws". Well, only if
you happen to be a Fundamentalist!
The analogy to the Pauls as Constitutional Fundies IS a valid one.
Most of America's citizens would lose their Constitutional protections if this interpretation were implemented.
Stop combing over The Constitution for every literal word, then stopping. The document is specific on certain things: on others it enumerates priniciples in relativly general terms that must be applied by interpretation to those issues.
The Pauls, like many on ATS are ideolouges, if they actually ran the government, nothing would get done simply because they could never compromise.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by OldDragger]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join