It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran Ordered To Remove Flag From Outside Home

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ah now you have changed your argument. Good to see you still have your compass pointing north. Yes size on the other hand can be regulated if it is outside of the home. But they need to have the size of the flag instilled in the contract he had signed. Which I doubt they have.

Again a victory for the Veteran. Pay your homage to the fallen and to those who served.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Ah, some more ignorance to deny....YaY

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership
interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

I would pay close attention to the writing that says EXCLUSIVE POSSESSION or USE, in other words a RENTER.

This man is not a member of a condominium association, cooperative association or residential real estate management association - he is a RENTER. Not a member of any association. This clause is talking about the rights of MEMBERS of such associations, as in the case of condominium OWNERSHIP. He does not have a separate ownership interest NOR does he have exclusive possession or use of the property.

You are confusing condominium ownership with apartment rental. Not the same - at all.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This man is not a member of a condominium association, cooperative association or residential real estate management association - he is a RENTER. Not a member of any association. This clause is talking about the rights of MEMBERS of such associations, as in the case of condominium OWNERSHIP. He does not have a separate ownership interest NOR does he have exclusive possession or use of the property.

You are confusing condominium ownership with apartment rental. Not the same - at all.

You need to either review it a few times to get the actual statute. It says anyone of the said property or someone with EXCLUSIVE POSSESSION or USE.

A Rental Contract allows for EXCLUSIVE POSSESSION or USE.

I pretty simple to comprehend, after all it was BUSH who passed and signed it. IF HE CAN UNDERSTAND IT, ANYONE CAN.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

You need to either review it a few times to get the actual statute. It says anyone of the said property or someone with EXCLUSIVE POSSESSION or USE.

I pretty simple to comprehend, after all it was BUSH who passed and signed it. IF HE CAN UNDERSTAND IT, ANYONE CAN.

You are wrong, again. While an apartment lease does grant the renter exclusive use of the property, this bill does not apply to apartment complexes.

For purposes of this Act--
(4) the term :member''--
(A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association;
(B) as used with respect to a cooperative association, means a cooperative unit owner (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; and
(C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

Sorry to say, but surely you'll have to give up your stance. This bill only applies to you if you actually own the unit.

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

Sorry, that "or" doesn't mean "except everything else mentioned in this bill, throw away the definitions presented and this applies to anything." It means, "or a right to exclusive possession or use [within the association]".

Seems you are getting confused about what "within the association" means and how was defined in the beginning of the bill

I'll show you again:

(4) the term :member''--
(A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association;

Quit trying now. Most agree it would be great if all landlords let their apartment tenants fly the flag.

... but looking like a fool and forcing your wrong interpretation on everyone isn't going to fix anything.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy...

An Apartment Complex would fall into the Residential Real Estate Management category as such an entity is in charge of mass residents that are managed by a single real estate entity.

Just highlighting in bold what you missed over. Please take the time to read and comprehend before calling others fools.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig
and
post by lilwolf

Check here for an explanation of it, but thanks for playing the attempted smear game.

This would be a better place look for an explanation of it: www.ushistory.org...

You would do well to study that site carefully, especially paragraph §8.a. We all know that an upside down flag is the equivalent of a "Mayday" call or an "SOS". You should know that using it as a ironic political statement is a desecration of the flag. Thank you for playing, but your hypocrisy is showing.

Is it okay to display the flag upside down to protest the war, the government, the economy, crime, liquor licenses, etc.?

reply to post by prionace glauca

An apartment rental agreement only gives you exclusive possession or use of THE APARTMENT, not the entire building and its grounds and the pool and the gym and the squash courts. The building management may or may not have been unreasonable but it was completely within its rights.

Notice that management did fly a flag on behalf of all residents in respect of their patriotism, and the article says that arrangements have been made for individual residents to fly the flag on their apartments. So what will happen now? Will those residents who choose not to fly the flag on their apartment be victimized by the 'patriots' as unpatriotic?

By the way, have you ever read the U.S. Constitution? President's don't pass laws. Congress does that. President Bush did sign the law into effect and that is a task that does not require the ability to read it, let alone understand it.

[edit on 20/5/2010 by rnaa]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa

By the way, have you ever read the U.S. Constitution? President's don't pass laws. Congress does that. President Bush did sign the law into effect and that is a task that does not require the ability to read it, let alone understand it.

Don't patronize me about the constitution. Read my post in its context. A president can urge the passing of the bill by the congress but he has to sign it for it to be law. I was in a rush to posting, I can change it to clarify what you point out, but no need as MOST would already know what I was saying.

Also a President who doesn't understand the bill they are signing shouldn't not be in that position in the first place. Just look at the sitting POTUS, he didn't understand the HCR bill which he promoted & championed, only now to say we might have to veto it,

Learn to comprehend as it would reveal much more information than just glancing at it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Make haste slowly.

You'll make fewer mistakes that way. You were in a hurry, so you actually typed more that you needed to convey your meaning. And those extra keystrokes made you wrong, and that was only the off topic part of your post.

Had you slowed down a little and thought about it you might not have been wrong about the on-topic part of your post.

Just sayin'

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa

Notice that management did fly a flag on behalf of all residents in respect of their patriotism, and the article says that arrangements have been made for individual residents to fly the flag on their apartments. So what will happen now? Will those residents who choose not to fly the flag on their apartment be victimized by the 'patriots' as unpatriotic?

Also I don't think I have ever come across anyone in my life who considered anyone not flying a US Flag unpatriotic, in fact its often the reverse which is true. Individuals who want to fly the Flag are often ridiculed or mocked as Racists or Confederates for the sake of political correctness.

One has every right to fly the US Flag and One has every right to not fly the US Flag, but no one has the right to deny anyone from flying the US Flag in America.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

The difference might be that a condo is owned by the resident, an apartment is not.

edit: I see your post about exclusive ownership. Maybe, I just don't know

[edit on 20-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy...

An Apartment Complex would fall into the Residential Real Estate Management category as such an entity is in charge of mass residents that are managed by a single real estate entity.

Just highlighting in bold what you missed over. Please take the time to read and comprehend before calling others fools.

No, I didn't miss it.

C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

Look, if they intended for that bill to include apartments, they would have added about 50 extra words to it. It's not that hard to understand.

They didn't just write it and say, "Hey, lets make it apply to apartments too, but hide the fact deep within the bill and provide references to other definitions and make recursive jumps in order to make it interesting and confusing just for fun!"

Your turn. Give me the next thing you think backs up your stance and I'll cut it in half.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Did you miss the whole Obama lapel pin 'controversy' during the campaign?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Check here for an explanation of it, but thanks for playing the attempted smear game. And by 'place' I was referring to such an anal apartment complex that flags aren't allowed to be flown, not that I think most people needed clarification.

In distress are you? Life threatening danger?

I'm glad to see you are taking flying an upside down flag so serious...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
UPDATE

They can all fly their flags now.

Hillsborough police said an agreement has been reached to allow residents of the Maple Leaf Village complex to fly flags.

Police said that under a preliminary agreement reached with management company EJL Management, the Hillsborough Police Association in partnership with American Legion Post 59 agreed to keep an eye on the flags and make sure they are in good condition. If not, the police association will talk to the owner of the flag to see if it can be replaced.

If the owner can't replace it, the police association will cover the cost to replace the flag at no cost to the town or owner of the rental property.

Well I must say they seem to have some pretty nice police officers up there. I think that was a very nice thing for the police association to do

www.wmur.com...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

The Laws are meant to help denizens and people who understand them will prevail & empower others also

Thanks for the update.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

reply to post by chise61

The Laws are meant to help denizens and people who understand them will prevail & empower others also

Thanks for the update.

Please don't tell me that you've applied the success of an agreement between these three parties to your wrongful interpretation of the bill discussed in this thread.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Wrongful interpretation compared to yours? Paawease.

Can you do me a favor and just Google search what Residential Management Associations comes up with.

Be prepared for a light bulb to turn on.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Wrongful interpretation compared to yours? Paawease.

Can you do me a favor and just Google search what Residential Management Associations comes up with.

Be prepared for a light bulb to turn on.

Why would I google it when it is right there on the 1st page (only page????) of the bill

C)as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

Are you selectively missing that or something?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
Why would I google it when it is right there on the 1st page (only page????) of the bill

C)as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

Are you selectively missing that or something?

Maybe English isn't the first language here for some, but what does development mean?

Are apartment complex's not considered developments?

The restrictions can only identify the size of the flag, not the actual flag..go read the posts above. I feel like I am taking to a kid..."why, but why, why, but why....."

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association.

Please read the above part from the same bill, instead of excising the parts to form your arguement around.

The only restriction an entity can put on the FLAG of the US is highlighted in BOLD.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join