It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran Ordered To Remove Flag From Outside Home

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Veteran Ordered To Remove Flag From Outside Home

www.wmur.com

A Navy veteran is fighting to be able to show his patriotism by flying an American flag outside his apartment building.

Joe LeVangie, 88, said he's upset after he and his neighbors were told to take their flags down because flying them was against management policy. He said there should be an exception for the flag.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

EJL Management said the flags violate a blanket policy prohibiting such displays. A letter sent to LeVangie said a letter sent to him by the company said it was part of a policy that also prohibits lawn ornaments and grills.

Why would the most patriotic country in the world allow flags to be forced down? Does the flag bother anyone? And why would it, if it does? This makes no sense to me.

What does ATS think?

www.wmur.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As much as it sucks odds are the man is over a barrel, when you sign a lease they usually have a nice catch all phrase which gives them carte blanche to create rules on the fly for whatever bs reason they want to. That being said if its within the man's ability he should promptly leave said apartment complex post haste, not worth living in such a place if you ask me.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
not worth living in such a place if you ask me.

Says the person with an upside down american flag as an avatar........

+2 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Check here for an explanation of it, but thanks for playing the attempted smear game. And by 'place' I was referring to such an anal apartment complex that flags aren't allowed to be flown, not that I think most people needed clarification.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I say read the policy before making outrageous claims.
If it says, "No flags", then you can't fly any flags. American or China, whatever.

Period.

Just move somewhere that allows it or lawn ornaments...
I am taking in consideration that the gentleman is 88 and probably can't move.

This doesn't shock me at all.
Rules are rules.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When you live in a rented community, it is pretty clear on what is acceptable on another persons property.

They have to have a set amount of rules, or really, it could be outta hand, if everyone decided to hang whatever the want, on say, a balcony or patio.

Who know's? The place might already have a flag pole out front that has an American flag on it already.

Hang what you want to on your own property, but, you have to abide by your lease.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Bah. There is probably a policy in the building that you can't have stuff hanging out the front. If they let the go flying the flag, then other people will want to fly all kind of stuff. Nothing to cry about here.

link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Originally posted by Helig
not worth living in such a place if you ask me.

do you even understand what it is all about when it is upside down???

link   
READ THE LEASE! READ THE AGREEMENT YOU SIGNED!
This is not a First Amendment issue, it's private property,the government is not involved.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
My complex has a nice flag pole by the front office flying an American flag. It works for me. However they are pretty understanding about everything really. They have a no bbq grill rule, yet 90% of all the balconies contain them. Their response is as long as you don't burn the building down we don't care. Heck i've seen a guy with a completely screened in balcony, been seriously considering that one myself.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

LeVangie's rent is subsidized by the federal government. A representative from the Department of Housing and Urban Development said EJL is complying with the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005.

From the above article...Now onwards to the American Flag Act of 2005.

Fly your OLD GLORY, Fly it High and Proudly

H. R. 42

One Hundred Ninth Congress of the United States of America
AT THE SECOND SESSION

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday, the third day of January, two thousand and six

An Act

To ensure that the right of an individual to display the flag of the United States
on residential property not be abridged.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the "Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005''.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
For purposes of this Act--

(1) the term "flag of the United States'' has the meaning given the term "flag, standard, colors, or ensign'' under section 3 of title 4, United States Code;

(2) the terms "condominium association'' and "cooperative association'' have the meanings given such terms under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603);

(3) the term "residential real estate management association'' has the meaning given such term under section 528 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 528); and

(4) the term :member''--

(A) as used with respect to a condominium association, means an owner of a condominium unit (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association;

(B) as used with respect to a cooperative association, means a cooperative unit owner (as defined under section 604 of Public Law 96399 (15 U.S.C. 3603)) within such association; and

(C) as used with respect to a residential real estate management association, means an owner of a residential property within a subdivision, development, or similar area subject to any policy or restriction adopted by such association.

SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES.

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership
interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS. H. R. 42--2
Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with--

(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or

(2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association.

Case Closed

To the Veteran, Please Fly Your OLD GLORY, High & Proud.

Thank You For Your Service, Sir......

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

This is not a First Amendment issue, it's private property,the government is not involved.

I suggest you read the STATUTE above and empower & enlighten yourself.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

do you even understand what it is all about when it is upside down???

What did you expect mang?

People don't deny ignorance anymore, but readily accept it.

Let me hit my bong for another thought, brb....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Your link says:

President signs bill freeing homeowners to fly U.S. flag.
Sponsored by Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md., the measure prohibits those groups from preventing residents from displaying an American flag on their own property.

This man lives in an apartment. He rents, he does not own. It is not his property.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by prionace glauca

Your link says:

President signs bill freeing homeowners to fly U.S. flag.
Sponsored by Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md., the measure prohibits those groups from preventing residents from displaying an American flag on their own property.

This man lives in an apartment. He rents, he does not own. It is not his property.

Ah, some more ignorance to deny....YaY

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership

I would pay close attention to the writing that says EXCLUSIVE POSSESSION or USE, in other words a RENTER.

Deny Ignorance...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Did you miss Section 3?

SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES.

They may be able to bar him from flying it on the building but he would still be able to display it, say in a window, or flown from his window. Assuming he has one. And why would they want to pick this fight with a vet?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The guy fights for our freedom, and we allow property laws that curtail the rights of said veteran renters from putting a flag outside their door stoop?

That's just messed up.

There ought to be a law that allows all US veterans of wars to place (1) flag any damn place they want, if they are paying for it (be it rent or mortgage).

(a flag within reasonable size of course, no 100ft x 180ft flags please!
)

[edit on 20-5-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
No. But I also didn't miss:

any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association.

This means that the association can still make rules about it. They can make reasonable restrictions. They can restrict the size, the TIME, the PLACE or the MANNER in which the flag is displayed.

The flag on the vet's place looks pretty huge. That might be their problem with it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

Exactly. It is a private property issue. We have a right to do what our own property whatever we want. And the guy complaining about the flag... that isn't his property.

Now if only you'd apply that same argument to discrimination. Public discrimination is never to be allowed. Private discrimination is to be allowed because people should be able to do on their own private property whatever they wish so long as they are not harming another person.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join