It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political humor or Racism ? You decide.....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If a bunch of black bar patrons hung or burned in effigy, a white politician; would you think it was just a political statement with no racist overtones?
Just showing their dissatisfaction with his policies; a humorous jibe at an opponent. Please.....of course it would be racist just as this exhibition was.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
At first I did not find anything particularly "racist" about burning an effigy. However I also fail to see the "humor" since those were the only given choices by OP.

HOWEVER, according to the news story it was videotaped by the bar's owner.

Here is her bio from the bar's website:

Yester Years Pub owner Karen Schoenfeld first opened
Milwaukee's favorite nightspot in 1978. The NASCAR decor is inspired
by Karen's many road trips with her friends that race in the NASCAR Sprint, Nation
Wide, and Cart Series.

yesteryearspubandgrill.com...

Perhaps not as innocent as one might think. Yeehaw, let's burn rubber.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

ETA: Further research reveals it was a Bartender at the bar who burned it and the owner performed the videotaping. Hmmmmmmm.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

You are so racist for saying that about NASCAR. What do you have against white people?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Also, I heard there was duct tape around the neck of the figure...? People need to realize that whether their intentions are racist or not, considering the history of this country, their actions are going to be seen in that context.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If a bunch of black bar patrons hung or burned in effigy, a white politician; would you think it was just a political statement with no racist overtones?
Just showing their dissatisfaction with his policies; a humorous jibe at an opponent. Please.....of course it would be racist just as this exhibition was.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by whaaa]

Thank you for proving your own point about ideologies getting in the way of common sense.

As far as the video illustrates, there were no racial overtones behind the crude gesture and it was a clear political statement. Though you would love to think in black/white.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

Obviously NasCar employs and has Black Drivers & fans. That was just one of unfounded facts he likes to get people riled over. My next post below his can link him to the information he requested.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by whaaa

Also, I heard there was duct tape around the neck of the figure...? People need to realize that whether their intentions are racist or not, considering the history of this country, their actions are going to be seen in that context.

I heard they were wearing hoods and singing clan music while shooting riffles in the air.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think we need to change up how we do things.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

My opinion,not racist. For people who would like to keep this black/white thing going, yeah it's racist. I personally think this will never stop. As others have stated all bets were off for Bush, but for Obama it's "how dare you".

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Wow, that was a terribly sad response. I suppose Hockey fans are all racist too, since there are little to no black Hockey players in the NHL (or Asian) ..

And I guess blacks have claimed their own stake to the NBA, since blacks out numbers whites by a large margin ... and yet.. if I went to a Trailblazer game the crowd would be 80% white.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Wow, that was a terribly sad response. I suppose Hockey fans are all racist too, since there are little to no black Hockey players in the NHL (or Asian) ..

And I guess blacks have claimed their own stake to the NBA, since blacks out numbers whites by a large margin ... and yet.. if I went to a Trailblazer game the crowd would be 80% white.

Also the Oklahoma Thunder Crowd. Those Fans know how to cheer for a team. They gave their team a standing ovation for 10mins after they lost in the first round.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hey look, the Secret Service doesn't think it was too humorous:

Secret Service Investigates Burning Of Obama Effigy

whfs.cbslocal.com...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Hey look, the Secret Service doesn't think it was too humorous:

Secret Service Investigates Burning Of Obama Effigy

whfs.cbslocal.com...

Who does the Secret Service work for?

How dare they burn the messiah?

link   

Originally posted by damwel

Originally posted by Carseller4
Don't you know anything critical of Obama is automatically racist?

No I didn't but I do know that saying that is what racists use to try and justify their racism. It's funny how racists think that by starting their thread with "I'm not racist", makes them not racist. Racism is easy to see when you know the signs to look for. I know, I'm in that field and I see it every day of the week. So stating that disagreeing with Obama is automatically racist is ludicrous, no one thinks that. No one. It's just something likes to say and puppets like to parrot.

[edit on Thu May 20th, 2010 by damwel]

Call me crazy, but I think that was meant sarcastically......... That said, my two cents is that it is not racist. As has been pointed out, political figures have been burned in effigy for a long time, and if we start screaming racism the second a black politician is burned in effigy..... Well, it just wouldn't be accurate.

Mi dos pesos

[edit on 20-5-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I honestly cannot remember ever once hearing someone say "aw man Michael Jordan's awesome.. to bad he's black, or I'd be his biggest fan!" .. you support the team.. and I guarantee if there was a black driver in NASCAR (which I don't follow so i don't know if there really isnt) the crowd would cheer him/her on just the same. They made the same big deal with the first female racer who went on to kick everyone's ass, everyone loved her just the same. some people look into race where it truly doesn't matter.

Or if any of you guys are country music fans, the success of darius rucker should be proof enough that just because your white and "country" doesn't mean your a racist!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
You are so racist for saying that about NASCAR. What do you have against white people?

I have NOTHING against people of ANY "color"

I have SOMETHING against hypocritical neanderthal bigots.

Oh and tall racist atom-brained Smurfs.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

SS always investigates stupid crap like this. If a 5 year old said he wanted to burn Obama on a chat room, they'd go investigate him too. They did the same under Bush, under all Presidents. Notice, they have not arrested anyone, they probably showed up, made sure it was a bunch of idiots with no intention, and left.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
To me this is an example freedom of speech.

Plenty of times Bush was burned in effigy.

I don't see the racist implications, just people using their constitutionally protected rights of freedom of speech.

Do I agree with it? No, but I agree with their right to do so.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It is not racist however, the politicaly ignorant class are more than susceptible to race baiting and could consider it. In political world perception is reality.

The sky is not blue its an off form of purple.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Ha Ha Ha. Had you bothered to read the link you'd find it was from a neocon AM talk radio website highly critical of the story. Too funny, knee jerk response without research.

I handed it to you on a Silver platter and you were too lazy to follow the link.

Epic fail. PWND.
You and OP (who quoted it) must feel a little silly.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Just as silly as when as you, when you couldn't name one other non Caucasian person who was employed by Nascar.

Just re-pasting my previous post, easier for these things to get lost.

Deny Ignorance

Maybe the African Americans of today's generation do not like the Nascar Racing style anymore like the older generation did. Then we had Bill Lester pick up the tradition where his pedigree left off.

Bill Lester takes the Torch from the older Generation

"There are a lot of black people out there who are closet NASCAR fans," Lester said. "They feel uncomfortable about coming to the racetrack because it's hard to identify with anyone there. I'm in a position to change that."

Lester did go on to say the above quote, which is true to an extent. As more and more drivers are participating in local series, Nascar Truck Series, this sport is drawing a diverse crowd.

FAIL Much,

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join