It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political humor or Racism ? You decide.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Ah the perils of drunkeness, it brings out such creativity of the human condition to be able to say things and do things one might not do without under the influence of "Elixir of the Gods".

I look at it as a political statement being overblown. But what say you?

Just to make the point equivocal, here is another example of an effigy ceremony...only the latter seem to be very prepared for safety.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I don't see how anyone can even suggest that there is a racist element to this. Burning political figures in effigy is a practice that has been around for decades, if not longer.

Probably just a drunken prank, some lame attempt to be funny, perhaps a legitimate attempt at a political statement. But racist? I don't see it.

Was it racist when they burned figures of Bush? Clinton? Reagan? No. Did anyone suggest at the time that it was? No. It was not then and it is not now.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Don't you know anything critical of Obama is automatically racist?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think we should be careful before calling racism on events like this.

I didn't hear any 'N words' in the video presented. I didn't see anyone in klan masks.

Obviously it's difficult to tell from a two minute news clip, but if no-one can demonstrate to me some history of these people being racist, I'd just tend to assume they don't like the president because they disagree with his politics, or are just anti-government in general.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Definitely not racism.

Just my two cents and my second line.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Don't you know anything critical of Obama is automatically racist?

No I didn't but I do know that saying that is what racists use to try and justify their racism. It's funny how racists think that by starting their thread with "I'm not racist", makes them not racist. Racism is easy to see when you know the signs to look for. I know, I'm in that field and I see it every day of the week. So stating that disagreeing with Obama is automatically racist is ludicrous, no one thinks that. No one. It's just something likes to say and puppets like to parrot.

[edit on Thu May 20th, 2010 by damwel]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why is everything that was the hight of patriotism under Bush, now considered racist? Is there any situation where this Democrat party, media or Obama wont pull the race card?

Am I alone in predicting this is how it would be when Obama got elected?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Ah, puppet on the strings.....It has been pretty evident throughout the all sorts of media how dissent of the now sitting POTUS is treated as. In fact it was this basic strategy that allowed him to get elected in the first place.

The POTUS & his administration continue to divide the population at large, just look at his remarks on the situation regarding Arizona.

For the Secret Service to be dispatched into this matter, is a waste of the taxpayers money. Dissent is Dissent, it shouldn't be linked to racism no matter what color of the spectrum the dissenter or its intended target is.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I used to live in Milwaukee (the area that this took place, West Allis being a suburb)and I'll tell you that's by far not the most idiotic or controversial thing done at a bar on any given weekend, especially in West Allis.

I think it's getting blown out of proportion, I don't think it's racist or anything like that and I am a fan of President Obama. My bet is it was a rather slow news night in Milwaukee when this story got aired, the local television media in that town is about as sensationalist as you can get.

Interestingly if you throw this story into the Google News search function, almost all of the coverage of it is coming from WTMJ4 in Milwaukee, who did the above story in the OP. Not even the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel newspaper, which is owned by the same parent corporation as WTMJ4 ran with the story according to Google.

A quick check of the Milwaukee JS's website shows that they are running with a story regarding invasive fish species. So, I am going to chalk this one up to a slow news day in Milwaukee, not racism thank you.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I don't think the people were racist just because they burned an effigy of Obama. They were however insensitive or unaware of past history.

Many Black people were hanged or burned to death by lynch mobs. The people in the bar evoked this past history, whether they intended to or not.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I don't think it was insensitive since no one was shouting any bigotry epithets so race card can not be played. Yes the president is Black, doesn't mean that he can escape criticism.

Move away from white/black thinking, the voters definitely did the past elections.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It isn't racist in the least bit.

Second sentence

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I've seen plenty of Bush's being burned throughout his Presidency.. last time I checked, it was still America, and we still had the right to express our anger in such a way..

But I guess since he's black (half black actually) it's suddenly racist to burn an effigy of the President

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I hope we still can call it America. The way things have been looking, Mr. O and his posse wana change that all together. Just look at how he allowed another country's head of state rail against our own State because that one state decided to enforce laws.

As far as the video goes, people who scream such burning effigy of racism need to look in the mirror for the real racist.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
At first I did not find anything particularly "racist" about burning an effigy. However I also fail to see the "humor" since those were the only given choices by OP.

HOWEVER, according to the news story it was videotaped by the bar's owner.

Here is her bio from the bar's website:

Yester Years Pub owner Karen Schoenfeld first opened
Milwaukee's favorite nightspot in 1978. The NASCAR decor is inspired
by Karen's many road trips with her friends that race in the NASCAR Sprint, Nation
Wide, and Cart Series.

yesteryearspubandgrill.com...

Perhaps not as innocent as one might think. Yeehaw, let's burn rubber.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

ETA: Further research reveals it was a Bartender at the bar who burned it and the owner performed the videotaping. Hmmmmmmm.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Silly to burn anyone in effigy, but not racist.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Are you insinuating anyone who is a NASCAR fan is inherently a racist?

Please... do clarify, because I don't think you'd take that route..

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Take it how you'd like. I've been to several Daytona 500's and the crowds are overwhelmingly comprised of a bunch of beer belching bigoted rednecks. Most of which exceed their tattoo to tooth ratio.

Aside from Montoya (Columbian) can you name a single non white driver?

I'll be waiting.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Take it how you'd like. I've been to several Daytona 500's and the crowds are overwhelmingly comprised of a bunch of beer belching bigoted rednecks. Most of which exceed their tattoo to tooth ratio.

Aside from Montoya (Columbian) can you name a single non white driver?

I'll be waiting.

Deny Ignorance

Maybe the African Americans of today's generation do not like the Nascar Racing style anymore like the older generation did. Then we had Bill Lester pick up the tradition where his pedigree left off.

Bill Lester takes the Torch from the older Generation

"There are a lot of black people out there who are closet NASCAR fans," Lester said. "They feel uncomfortable about coming to the racetrack because it's hard to identify with anyone there. I'm in a position to change that."

Lester did go on to say the above quote, which is true to an extent. As more and more drivers are participating in local series, Nascar Truck Series, this sport is drawing a diverse crowd.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
How would we possibly know whether or not it was racist? Only the flamers know whether they did it because of his race or not. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a racist thing, but I wasn't there and don't know the intent of the flamers.

Political humor? No. If anything, it's a simple political statement.

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Most of which exceed their tattoo to tooth ratio.

Now THAT'S humor!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join