It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

The team hopes eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is kinda cool and scary at the same time...

Cool because it opens lots of doors in science...

And scary because... well any new scientific advance of this magnitude bring new responsibilities... and if we look at what we did with the last big invention, the nuclear energy... well you know how it'll end up.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is the big game changer that has been expected.

This s___ just got real, people!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe the new cell can manipulate DNA chains to restrict aging or burn fat faster or build muscles?

Maybe I am thinking to far ahead?

Very kool though.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sure, when this is a breakthrough that could potentially help people, it's heralded in the press, but once it gets out and starts eating people, then the media will cover it up. Keep your flamethrowers handy, and save the last bullet for yourself.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Woooohooooo !!!

One more step for science, .... and one more step towards armageddon and the inevitable RISE OF THE MACHINES !!!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Now we become like those before.

We are starting to become gods.... One day decades from now Humanity will conduct the biggest scientific experiment since Earth... We will create a whole world from our own artificial life. A sterile Planet will be warmed by us and we will create a new specsis in our own eyes.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

This is kinda cool and scary at the same time...

I think this statement, and the one by the poster below yours are both good statements. At this point I would like to ask how long will it be before we might see the results of this technology come to fruit with what was described. Creating fuels, absorb gasses? In one sense I would like to say sooner then you might think. Because if it does, that will yet again zero point energy will be suppressed by the PTB.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well I guess there now is a god with scientific backing no doubt!

Oh boy things are about to go haywire in regards to ethics & religion.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
God dammit, stop messing with nature!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevinquisitor
God dammit, stop messing with nature!!

But, we can't not screw with nature. We were made in the image of our creators, who screwed with nature for their own selfish reasons.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Could this turn out to be a "T"-virus? possibly.

When you create something like this, it's purpose can be many.. but just like all things, they have a potential for great good and great harm.

The deciding factor will be who gets a hold of this technology and what purpose they bend it's capabilities to.

Either we could end up with a zombie apoc. or we could use it to basically heal people, and use it for enviromental help. like eating the oil in the oceans.

who knows.. time will be the deciding factor..

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
this is a really good idea. now we just need to keep thenew cells isolated for a few million years and see hwo they develop and evolve before we know if we can trust them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Published Online May 20, 2010
Science DOI: 10.1126/science.1190719
Science Express Index
RESEARCH ARTICLES

Creation of a Bacterial Cell Controlled by a Chemically Synthesized Genome

Daniel G. Gibson,1 John I. Glass,1 Carole Lartigue,1 Vladimir N. Noskov,1 Ray-Yuan Chuang,1 Mikkel A. Algire,1 Gwynedd A. Benders,2 Michael G. Montague,1 Li Ma,1 Monzia M. Moodie,1 Chuck Merryman,1 Sanjay Vashee,1 Radha Krishnakumar,1 Nacyra Assad-Garcia,1 Cynthia Andrews-Pfannkoch,1 Evgeniya A. Denisova,1 Lei Young,1 Zhi-Qing Qi,1 Thomas H. Segall-Shapiro,1 Christopher H. Calvey,1 Prashanth P. Parmar,1 Clyde A. Hutchison, III,2 Hamilton O. Smith,2 J. Craig Venter1,2,*

We report the design, synthesis, and assembly of the 1.08-Mbp Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0 genome starting from digitized genome sequence information and its transplantation into a Mycoplasma capricolum recipient cell to create new Mycoplasma mycoides cells that are controlled only by the synthetic chromosome. The only DNA in the cells is the designed synthetic DNA sequence, including "watermark" sequences and other designed gene deletions and polymorphisms, and mutations acquired during the building process. The new cells have expected phenotypic properties and are capable of continuous self-replication.

1 The J. Craig Venter Institute, 9704 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA.
2 The J. Craig Venter Institute, 10355 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA.

lol, science rawks!

If Venter digitises his own genome using it to create a synthetic one, transplants it in a recipient cell and develops a mini-Venter, does it have a soul?

Every byte is sacred, every byte is great...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by melatonin]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
Sure, when this is a breakthrough that could potentially help people, it's heralded in the press, but once it gets out and starts eating people, then the media will cover it up. Keep your flamethrowers handy, and save the last bullet for yourself.

Your post reminded me of Jeff Goldblum's line in one of the Jurassic Park movies when a group of people first sees the dinosaurs - "It's oohing and ahhing now. Later it's running and screaming".

Hopefully, good will come out of this - such as microbes that eat Gulf oil spills for example, or microbes that eat garbage dumps and turn them into usable fuels.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
while i can see many usefull and productive uses for this. i fear as usual the millitary will be the first to have ago at playing god if you will. lets face it their ussually the first to get there hands on new technoligy. but amaizing never the less my question is who has the right to choose who can use this stuff and how it can be used. were clever enoughe to of made it but are they clever enoughe to handle it?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Like said above, great possibilities if this could be handled right by the right people so I see a great future for this!
Wait... Wrong planet sorry guys!

Seriously, There are great things we can do with mostly all things we develope, problem is that once TPTB gets their hands on it (almost instantly) they come up with ideas to scare us into taking/buying it with their logo on it and I don't need to tell you guys what between the lines...

Otherwise I like hearing about new technology and break-throughs

Damn, got beaten by Daniel above

[edit on 20-5-2010 by svante]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

"These could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."

The above quote is from the BBC link provided. "The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."

IMHO, Research like this should never go public. Why? Well, we're all human and since we're human, we have the tendency to commit crimes that are beyond horrific.

With this breakthrough, researchers the world over will be clamoring for the opportunity to produce their own artificial genes. There are the "good guy" researchers who'll try to find cure for diseases and there will be the "bad guy" reseachers who'll try to find a way to annihilate entire populations.

Genetic research has been going on a long time now. Oil-eating bacteria may be able to eat bacteria but what is that smudge on a glass pane when we happen to touch it. Are these bacteria intelligent enough to distinguish crude oil from the oil that's secreted from our glands or the oils that's present in peanuts?

Viruses have already been artificially produced. These viruses could introduce genetic codes that could drastically change our appearance. We would then cease to be human. Then again, they could help repair severed nerves or cure MS or MD. You never know the long term affects.

Research needs to be conducted to counter any such threats should they arise. While it's great we're learning more about how life works, this work could have serious and irreversable repercussions. These are just my thoughts.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
"All of this has happened before, and will happen again... and again... and again..."

Ok, so now we can program life like it's a software package... make it do what we want and all that...

Problem is, how many software packages are released bug free? Zero.

Bigger problem is, you can't just flip off the power switch in this case, and wait for a patch to come out.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I am so surprised that this is not getting more attention on this site. Are people scared of touching it? This is it, people, the real deal..stuff of nightmares. Maybe not yet, but Pandora's Box has been opened.

[edit on 20/5/10 by Lebowski achiever]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join