It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have created the world's first synthetic life form

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I, for one, would like to welcome our new bio engineered by us overlords.

But seriously a certain movie quote comes to mind.

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
And now man becomes God.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I find this really cool and this needs to be a bigger story than it is.... Now my love of all things alternative comes into play as I think of the possibilities of creating synthetic life.

One thought that came to me, and it may not be possible, is what if we created synthetic microbes/germs that were suitable for life on some other planet. We then place those microbes on said planet.Imagine how we could study it and watch it over millions of years as it evolves and maybe becomes an intelligent life form.... Just interesting to think about.

I love where my mind takes me sometimes.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyber3000

This doesn't disprove God, really?

The new organism is based on an existing bacterium that causes mastitis in goats, but at its core is an entirely synthetic genome that was constructed from chemicals in the laboratory.

First note: Venter used a cel that already existed.

Now Venter says he has built a living bacterium from nothing but chemicals and code: "Our cell has been totally derived from four bottles of chemicals", he says.

Secondly, he used the four chemicals to create the DNA and then combined it with the existing bacteria to make it a living species. The second example is from a subsequent source based off the original article.

Has Venter made us gods?

If he can do it without a host cell and can pull some chemicals out of thin air then you can make your claims. Otherwise, nice job to him!

[edit on 20-5-2010 by novastrike81]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
cmon disclosure must be next. do you think we will have maid to order organs? possibly synthetic humanoid body's grown to order? immortality will cost you. if i was an alien i would be interested in this tech. i can see it now "come to earth they grow whatever you want"

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyber3000
Where is your God now?

Its funny how someones uses god's own creations and only modifies it and you speak so arrogantly.

Did they create it out of thin air?
Or did they "modify" something that had already existed?

Have a good day sir.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by -elmo-]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by -elmo-

Life's only lego pieces of his creation. So, if you just scoop up new bricks, its still his creation. Make new bricks first young children.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint
This will inevtably some day in the future destroy the world. The nuclear bomb has nothing on this

Shh, don't say that. It's bad luck. By some miracle we will get through this and we will rest easy, with our spaceships parked in our space garages. Everything in the future will be prefixed by the word "space".

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I wonder when they will have the ability to make cells from scratch as well....Something from nothing, now that would really be cool.

scnd line

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hmm this could end very badly for those incapable of adaptation. There are positives and negatives to any thing. The problem isn't in the quest for new boundaries in science but the selfish human aplications of those findings. Either way whenever a new species I introduced into a new environment it either thrives dies or maintains a ballance. Seing a it's created by man and how flawed mans logic is. My bet is this things going to get out of cotrol untill it finds it's own balance withing nature. Or not.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Or, if there is a God, creator, supreme being, perhaps it will offend him/her/it and bring about the end of human existence?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
That is pretty scary. Bio engineered super virus' thank goodness we all have a natural defense that is adaptable.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Really amazing, I've seen so much important history happen in my young life.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
And now man becomes God.

Hardly, these guys didn’t make a cell from scratch they just reprogrammed one.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Oh those playing out the "religion" war pro or con. You see them making their obcessions plain across every thread that even references the word science. Case in point the people hailing this as proof of abscence, or that "religion is wrong!!" Mirrored by those who will probly use it to reinforce their belief in "religion".

Rather than a neat and potentionally very dangerous new thing we can do. I would call that obcession.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Give me a break dood! I'm not religious. This is not in any way the creation of life and that’s what I was saying. These guys just reprogrammed a tiny part of a existing cells genome.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

grantbreed has only scored a same side goal and is also glad for that ;-) . From the comment, it looks like he is into Darwin inspired atheism.

Unfortunately, what this achievement really does is question abiogenesis as a sole credible theory on life origins. it only took humans a few centuries of tinkering to get to this !!!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Um. Where exactly in my comments to another in a admittingly tangental conversation did you get the idea that I was calling you religious? No where does that even remotely fit into the context of the conversation.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
One thought that came to me, and it may not be possible, is what if we created synthetic microbes/germs that were suitable for life on some other planet. We then place those microbes on said planet.Imagine how we could study it and watch it over millions of years as it evolves and maybe becomes an intelligent life form.... Just interesting to think about.

You know, the funny thing is... It's not so much a stretch anymore to speculate whether or not we are in fact, ourselves, a product of such similar processes -- designed and created, a 'lab experiment', oblivious to those, millions/thousands/hundreds of years ahead of us... watching, studying, from above.

I love where my mind takes me sometimes.

Indeed!

[edit on 21/5/10 by Navieko]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
First artificial life-form?

I thought that was Pamela Anderson!

No I fink, it was Paris Hilton...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join