It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Weather reports possibility of Hyder Flare

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Richard Strothers of NASA also made a statistical analasys of volcanic eruptions over four centuries and believed solar cycle influenced it.

He also likened hotspots of magma deep in the earth to that of sun spots, interesting stuff.

And this one from Friedmann T. Freund of NASA.
Rocks That Crackle and Sparkle and Glow: Strange Pre-Earthquake Phenomena

This is a great paper. There are so many factors that add noise to attempted correlations. He makes some strong points I think. He also says the sudden release from tectonic pressure alone is unlikely.

I think this is why the correlation is muddy, the pressure must be there, if the pressure was released by an earthquake prior to a large solar event, no worries. Sometimes things look chaotic up close but from a distance they follow a pattern.

A better way of putting it may be fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic feild may trigger Earthquakes if the ground becomes semi conductive under pressure. Just to clarify.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by squiz]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Phage

Dang it Phage! You and those facts again.

If you keep it up, you are going to ruin the collective fantasy some seem to have of the Earth being burned to a cinder.

Sadly, that is BOUND to happen eventually, the question is when...which is why it bothers me we can't get off this island safely yet! asteroid, comet, gamma-ray burst, or our sun dying/expanding...pick one.
You are correct. Sooner or later, something will wipe out all life on Earth.

I will go out on a limb and say that it will be much later, as far as a time scale related to a human lifetime. Probably millions of years.

You are also correct about our chances of getting off of this rock when our goals in the past 35 years have been to put humans into low earth orbit and send unmanned probes any further. It is VERY sad.

I refuse to believe every gloom and doom prediction that comes around the corner daily on ATS though. My life will be far too short to live in daily fear of something that chances are, not going to happen.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I really appreciate everyone posting all of the links that support the correlation between solar activity and earthquakes.

A possible supspot is emerging today. spaceweather.com...

It will be intersting to see what happens. The filament has been going now for 4 days. We have had zero sun spot activity now for 12 days, with zero EQ's over magnitude 7 since the 7.2 in Indonesia on May 9.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Could we please comment in the most recent posted thread?

A long dark magnetic filament is looping around THE SUN

Closing Duplicate

Thank you

Semper

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join