It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Weather reports possibility of Hyder Flare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It was funny.
I agree, he is clever.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Did I say the Sun is constant? I don't see that in my post.
And it is mild mannered in comparison to, oh, say a Class M star or a Cepheid. Wouldn't want to be circling around one of those.

I don't see anything in that article about the Sun destroying the Earth any time soon.

Originally posted by Phage

We do know our Sun is very mild mannered. In observing neighbors of the same type we can be pretty sure that it won't be destroying the Earth any time soon.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WeMoveUnseen

Sorry, i know some people worship Phage when he makes his own assumptions and hides data that doesn't corroborate his claims, but he is wrong, and has been wrong several times. But go ahead and keep worship him.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I starred you for being pleasant.

I understand the butterfly effect, but I would go nuts trying to track all the waves, puddles and drafts of air that I create all the time.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Did I say the Sun is constant? I don't see that in my post.
And it is mild mannered in comparison to, oh, say a Class M star or a Cepheid. Wouldn't want to be circling around one of those.

Sorry Phage "mild-mannered" is completely different to being UNPREDICTABLE... Do you even understand either concept?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes. They are two different things. That is why I used the words I did rather than the ones you are trying to put into my mouth.

S: (adj) mild-mannered (behaving in or having a mild or gentle manner)

S: (adj) unpredictable (not capable of being foretold)

wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

I did not say the Sun is predictable. I said it is mild mannered. And, compared to other star types, it is. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree with you, I do not understand all this paranoia about the Sun at this time. Solar activity is so low and has been for a long time that it seems just plain silly to be so concerned.
I was not paying much attention back when old Sol was really cooking a few years ago but some of these guys must have been nervous wrecks.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I did not say the Sun is predictable. I said it is mild mannered. And, compared to other star types, it is. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here.

Phage....mild-mannered is the same as being PREDICTABLE... UNPREDICTABLE is the opposite to mild-mannered...

Adj. 1. mild-mannered - behaving in or having a mild or gentle manner mild - moderate in type or degree or effect or force; far from extreme

www.thefreedictionary.com...

ADMIT FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE to being wrong... You NEVER do...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

No.
Read the definitions again.

Mild mannered is not the same as predictable. My golden retriever was (
) mild mannered but he could be very unpredictable. Sometimes he would hassle me to take him for a walk and other times he just wanted to lay around.

The opposite of mild mannered is bad mannered.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I have a love hate relationship with you Phage... It is the "dreamer" in me that is disapointed when mine/others fantasy or excitment are crushed with logic and facts...I spilled my coffee, did you feel it?.. You just destroyed a catch phrase that Cindy has probably been using for years all in one sentence. "Everything in the universe is connected" no longer seems deep and thoughtful... it seems shallow and thoughtless..

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

No darling, he destroyed nothing of mine.
It was amusing. My thinking is not that fragile and I attempt new phrases not keep just one in the pocket.

I can appreciate his humor but not your backhanded compliment which was condescending and insulting.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by cindymars]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
its the problem i find with mr Phage and a good scientist minded friend of mine. they live, interpret and explain everything based on the rules defined by man, the ones we think we know of... the stuff we think we can measure.. the stuff we think we know.

we know nothing. presuming we know anything is a fundamental error. dominated by the mind, in times where the heart, and not the mind, is more necessary.

just my personal opinion =) as always.

smile on friends.

love from Malta

aLaN

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage...being unpredictable is an extreme, which is different from being mild-mannered. Unpredictable means changing from one moment to the next, which is not being "mild-mannered." If your dog was unpredictable he couldn't have been mild-mannered.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I have a quarter in my hand. I flip it. I know it will come up head or tails but it is unpredictable which it will be. Is my quarter bad mannered?

You are make a connection where there is none in an effort to put words in my mouth that I did not say. An effort to change the intent of my statement.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

..... AGAIN Phage...

Adj. 1. mild-mannered - behaving in or having a mild or gentle manner mild - moderate in type or degree or effect or force; far from extreme

www.thefreedictionary.com...

FAR FROM EXTREME...

Solar Dynamics Observatory: The 'Variable Sun' Mission

February 5, 2010: For some years now, an unorthodox idea has been gaining favor among astronomers. It contradicts old teachings and unsettles thoughtful observers, especially climatologists.

"The sun," explains Lika Guhathakurta of NASA headquarters in Washington DC, "is a variable star."

But it looks so constant...

Thats only a limitation of the human eye. Modern telescopes and

spacecraft have penetrated the suns blinding glare and found a maelstrom

of unpredictable turmoil.
Solar flares explode with the power of a
billion atomic bombs. Clouds of magnetized gas (CMEs) big enough to swallow planets break away from the stellar surface. Holes in the sun's atmosphere spew million mile-per-hour gusts of solar wind.

And those are the things that can happen in just one day.

Over longer periods of decades to centuries, solar activity waxes and wanes with a complex rhythm that researchers are still sorting out. The most famous "beat" is the 11-year sunspot cycle, described in many texts as a regular, clockwork process. In fact, it seems to have a mind of its own.

science.nasa.gov...

A coin can't be "mild-mannered" but there is a 50/50 change which makes it predictable... You can predict that it will either be heads or tails, and 50% of the time you will be right... That is not unpredictable.

Unpredictable would mean for example if the coin fell on it's edge... Now that would be unpredictable...

As another example you could be a person that constantly chooses between two restaurants, and you go to no other.

Does it mean that you are unpredictable because today you chose one, and not the other restaurant?... No... You are a predictable person in the fact that you choose either one or the other restaurant over several dozens in your area.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

unless the coin had a very large edge......

given teh small window of recored time everything could be unpredicatable... but holding onto a rediculous concept like that is truley useless.

the sun is only unpredictable to the ignorant.... just like everything else.

but i am i huge fan of the electric universe theory... mainly because i believe all of reality is fractaly structured magnetic fields.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Wertdagf]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
the sun is only unpredictable to the ignorant.... just like everything else.

Really?...

But it looks so constant...

Thats only a limitation of the human eye. Modern telescopes and

spacecraft have penetrated the suns blinding glare and found a maelstrom

of unpredictable turmoil.
Solar flares explode with the power of a
billion atomic bombs. Clouds of magnetized gas (CMEs) big enough to swallow planets break away from the stellar surface. Holes in the sun's atmosphere spew million mile-per-hour gusts of solar wind.

And those are the things that can happen in just one day.

Over longer periods of decades to centuries, solar activity waxes and wanes with a complex rhythm that researchers are still sorting out. The most famous"beat" is the 11-year sunspot cycle, described in many texts as a regular, clockwork process. In fact, it seems to have a mind of its own.

science.nasa.gov...

You seem to be another one who doesn't understand what unpredictable, and "having a mind of it's own" means...

Now what makes it truly "being ignorant" on purpose is when you claim something entirely different when researchers differ to your claims...

BTW, even the Electric Universe theory cannot explain everything. The Universe is chaotic. Otherwise the dinosaurs wouldn't have become extinct, and the Earth wouldn't have been hit so many times by large meteors/asteroids.

A person can also react differently to the same situation. It depends on many factors which you have no control over.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

didnt they predict the cycles of the sun?

how can you say its unpredicatble then.... that sir is ignorance.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

As another example you could be a person that constantly chooses between two restaurants, and you go to no other.

Does it mean that you are unpredictable because today you chose one, and not the other restaurant?... No... You are a predictable person in the fact that you choose either one or the other restaurant over several dozens in your area.

Yes. I am predictable. But at the same time I could be a psycho killer or just mild mannered lil' ol' me. There is no connection between my disposition and my predictability.

I...did...not...say...the...Sun...is...constant...I...did...not...say...the...Sun...is...completely...predictable.

Stop saying I did.
This is what I said:

We do know our Sun is very mild mannered. In observing neighbors of the same type we can be pretty sure that it won't be destroying the Earth any time soon.

I didn't even say the Sun won't destroy the Earth.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

didnt they predict the cycles of the sun?

how can you say its unpredicatble then.... that sir is ignorance.

Yet there are cycles which cannot be explained. For example the recent low solar activity which lasted longer than normal... That cannot be explained. That is the randomness which exists in the Universe.

There are too many factors, most of which we, or even the Sun have no control over which do affect the Solar System and planets like Earth.

Mankind does not have all the awnsers, and I doubt we ever will. Whoever told you differently is only delluding themselves.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join