It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corexit is Killing the Gulf

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Why has the government allowed something this toxic to humans, untested, to be used at all, let alone these massive quantities? This keeps getting more bizarre by the day. I worry especially about children living in the gulf area being exposed to all these contaminants. Young kids are much more vulnerable to chemical exposure than adults.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I'm suprised this thread has so few post, it is like no one cares or comprehends what is going on out there. I'm off the grid and do not how landlocked America feels. We in Florida are sick to our stomachs and feel powerless. It is truly unbelievable to what is continuing to happen out there.

I think a lot of people are either speechless, or have repetitive questions with no way to get answers. The use of these chemicals, despite being told by the government to stop just kind of speaks for itself.

EDIT

Why has the government allowed something this toxic to humans, untested, to be used at all, let alone these massive quantities?

The EPA instructed BP to stop using the disspersent, and BP just didnt do it. I guess the EPA just shrugged and said "ok" after that? Not really sure.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by getagripplease]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I'm suprised this thread has so few post, it is like no one cares or comprehends what is going on out there. I'm off the grid and do not how landlocked America feels. We in Florida are sick to our stomachs and feel powerless. It is truly unbelievable to what is continuing to happen out there.

I have to agree with you on that statement, I remember reading this tread the other day and thinking that it would get a lot of attention.

I find it interesting how in and around the Gulf of Mexico there are reports of an accelerated rate of death among sea life, huge "oil plumes" miles in depth/width/length under the water, and the effect that this will have on the region for decades. (Thank you ATS members for sources on this stuff)

A neighbor/friend of mine received his settlement recently from Exxon resulting from a case dealing with the 1989 oil spill in Valdez Alaska. He worked on the clean-up, and has some really interesting stories about it.

...To the point, we were talking about the dispersants and what they do.

From what he says;

-"They kill wildlife... period!" (There was no arguing with him on that.)

-"It changes the buoyancy on a molecular level to make it (the oil) sink down under the water in a huge blob. Most of the oil is still there in the sound, it just sits on the bottom."

-"...nothing lives in Prince William Sound anymore, it's all dead, even the business..."

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

There is a fix for the oil!!!

But BP should *stop* using the dispersant immediately!

There are microbes which eat oil, seriously .. I don't know if they can handle corexit ... but they handle hydrocarbons with ease. Then they die for lack of food and the shrimp eat them up in short order.

There are barrels and barrels in storage waiting to be used.

This is a bit of a long video, but it is right on the facts, and a field test already done in the Gulf!! ...

So there is hope that we will not be buried in Crude until August ... and with that relief perhaps other things will turn around as well ... (hope) ...

Gulf oil spill -- gutsy solution ... just 6 weeks!!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

"Corporations have been enthroned. An era of corruption will follow...until wealth is aggregated in a few hands...and the Republic is destroyed".

Abraham Lincoln

[edit on 4-7-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

www.wpi.edu...

Easiest thing to do is to read the executive summary on page 9 of the thesis Dispersants for Crude Oil Spills: Dispersant Behavior Studies by Diemand and Francis. Nice piece of undergrad work! main site is www.wpi.edu if you have any problems with the scholar link.

I posted below quote from the document for consideration since the salinity issue is of immediate concern due to recent flooding . The quote from page 60 addresses the "where is the oil" issue nicely. I don't think running the paradigm with crude is going to alter the results significantly. Unfortunately for all of us.
"...These results deviate from the expected behavior of the dispersant and are possibly an explanation to some of the observations made in the oil contaminated waters. This leads to the belief that the dispersant may not have been formulated for appropriate use at sub sea level conditions. The second most significant result is the affects the adjustment of salinity has on the stability of the emulsion phase, this is very telling about the complications which may ensue when the ocean meets the Mississippi River and the salinity decreases..."
and on page 60: "...With bottom layer readings so significantly larger, it can be deduced that the majority of the emulsion is formed at the bottom of the solution and there is minimal suspension towards the top of the experimental volume...."
On the Texas coast we're experiencing plenty of clouds, breeze and drought here and throughout the state-coming up to be the worst on record. www.victoriaadvocate.com... Hate to be unscientific, but the Gulf right now reminds me of a child with pneumonia, defining pneumonia as an inflammation in deep lung tissues where oxygen is absorbed into the body and waste gases are removed. He keeps gasping but just can't catch a deep breath. It's like the Gulf can't breathe.

I subscribed to Google Scholar last year for Macondo related material. An interesting body of literature is accumulating on the web.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
New study shows that coreexit does not eliminate oil but just disperse it even further and degrade it smaller and smaller'

core exit miracle of nature?? NO more like death of nature

<< 1   >>

join