It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/Mexican border violence actually on the DECLINE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Arizona's Republican governor, Jan Brewer, would have you believe that Arizona is the repeated victim of terrorism at the hands of marauding illegal immigrant gangs.

"Arizona has been under terrorist attacks, if you will, with all of this illegal immigration that has been taking place on our very porous border," Brewer told a Fox News anchor earlier this month.

But a new analysis by ABC News based on numbers alone suggests that the situation is almost the reverse of what its Republican critics allege.

rawstory.com...

The number of illegal immigrants apprehended along the border, which CBP uses to gauge the flow of migrants, is down nearly 55 percent from 2005. The agency captured 540,865 last year.

* Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained and deported a record 387,790 unauthorized immigrants across the U.S. in 2009, and is on pace to set a new record in 2010.

* More than 646 miles of the border are protected by fence, according to Customs and Border Protection.

* The growing number of deportations comes as the overall size of the U.S. illegal immigrant population -- 62 percent of which hails from Mexico -- continues to decline. The U.S. unauthorized population in 2009 was 10.8 million, down from 11.8 million in 2007.

ABC study

It does note there is still a lot of drug related violence along the border, but that most all of it is on the Mexican side.

There have only been a few, although high profile incidents on the US side. American lives are worth more than Mexican lives apparently.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained and deported a record 387,790 unauthorized immigrants across the U.S. in 2009, and is on pace to set a new record in 2010.
How are those numbers an indication of failing to secure the border. They appear to be handled a lot better now than in the past.

I have said from the very beginning that this is nothing but an attempt to run Hispanics in general out of Arizona in a very similar fashion to the South oppressing Blacks for so long. Arizona is just trying to take an easy way out by deporting as many as possible and harassing ALL of the rest....

[edit on 20-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

I have said from the very beginning that this is nothing but an attempt to run Hispanics in general out of Arizona in a very similar fashion to the South oppressing Blacks for so long. Arizona is just trying to take an easy way out by deporting as many as possible and harassing ALL of the rest....

[edit on 20-5-2010 by webpirate]

From the ABC:

Last year, 417 immigrants were found dead near the border, compared to 390 in 2008 and 298 in 2007, according to the Border Patrol.

"Violence is on the Mexican side, like it's breathing on us," said Estrada, whose county has 50 miles of border with Mexico. "But the [Santa Cruz] county is very safe as a whole. If there's any violence here, it's in the rural areas and canyons& There are probably a lot of things going on we're not aware of."

More death, and violence is on the decline? oh, I see, its on the Mexican side...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by bakadesu]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bakadesu

The article and my original post plainly state that there is still a lot of drug related violence and that yes, most of it is on the Mexican side.

It also continues on to say that because of the crack downs and drug violence illegals are taking more risky and dangerous routes based on terrain and this has led to some of the increase in the deaths.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Great Post OP, people need to understand that when the media says that there is violence on the US/Mexican border that its mostly on the Mexican side......i hear people say how bad it is down there on this site and its really not yes there is violence but on the mexican side

Those US citizens that do get hurt for the most part happen when they are actually in Mexico...the media is just making it out to seem like Gangs are shooting everywhere on the US side which in reality they are not

I live on the border and everything is fine, i don't have to duck and cover when i go outside, Thank God

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Goradd]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
violence may be in decline on the border, but thats still only the border.. id be willing to bet the further in the us you go and venture into where the illegals have gone to in america, example phoenix and la, that violence is going up...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Ah, Maybe Phoenix AZ need to jump up in joy and rebut the name of being called the Capital of Kidnapping of the ENTIRE WORLD.

Border Violence Threatens American Cities

The killings last month in the Mexican border town of Ciudad Juarez of two U.S. citizens, including an employee at the city's U.S. Consulate, along with the slaying of an Arizona rancher, have fueled concerns among U.S. officials that Americans are becoming fair game for Mexican drug gangs seeking control of smuggling routes into the United States.

I wouldn't chose ABC as the deliverer of the news, do some more searching around and you would come to the conclusion that violence has actually kept steady pace or has grown.

Drug use and violence becoming more rampant at the AZ-Mexico Border

In regards to Illegal Immigration, I also mention about the numbers that the POTUS is throwing around as Illegal Immigration is declining is a blatant LIE.

Obama is Lying on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION Declining

[edit on 20-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
that is pretty bad when Phoenix crime has dropped and it is still the kidnapping capitol of the world.

worse than Nigeria,Zimbabwe , Worse than Iraq and Afghanistan an active war zone.
Worse than Columbia and Guatemala.

There is no reason for any crime to be going on at the border on this side due to there problems. They should be in there country raising hell not here.

They damn well have the gall to invade a nation and spout there communist and hateful rhetoric and commit horrible crimes. However they dont have any sense of duty to fix the place where they live! That they have been violated that they call home.

top topics

join