It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in internet crackdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in internet crackdown

news.bbc.co.uk

Pakistan has blocked the popular video sharing website YouTube because of its "growing sacrilegious content".

Access to the social network Facebook has also been barred as part of a crackdown on websites seen to be hosting un-Islamic content.

On Wednesday a Pakistani court ordered Facebook to be blocked because of a page inviting people to draw caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Some Wikipedia pages are also now being restricted, latest reports say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It looks like what we have hear is another censoring of the ability to show self expression. In this case it seems to be done to help a few hold on to political power, by way of using religious doctrine to do so. It is not just you tube and face book that are being blocked. The article goes on to say that four hundred and fifty sites have also been blocked. Hear is yet another good example of why you should never let religious doctrine govern your country.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
First Facebook, then Youtube and wikipedia, parts of the BBC website too, next Twitter, then unsuitable news sources. ATS will probably be on there soon. Might as well ban the whole internet and be done with it.

Do they not realise that these sites contain a lot of pro-Islamic content too?

I wonder if this site is also blocked for being blasphemous:

Islamic Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

Some of the medieval pictures are lovely. I wonder what happened to make it suddenly not ok to draw him?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
These people are scared to death, it's sad to watch cencorship at such an extreme level to a country full of adult's.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint
These people are scared to death, it's sad to watch cencorship at such an extreme level to a country full of adult's.

I was just going to post the same thought...don't these people have guns? Do they take freedom so lightly...oh wait, we move the line farther back here in America as well, to avoid bloodshed. Patriot act...nah, we'll let it slide. Gun confiscating in after Katrina...nah we'll let it slide. Bank bailouts and auto industry...nah, we'll let it slide. We might yell a little, but we will keep letting it slide.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thanks for posting everyone.
You tube, Wikipedia, and several hundred others. All of which can provide information and expression. To me I must how much more freedom of information will they choose to censor? How much knowledge will they choose to take away?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

These people need to realize that free speech and freedom of expression is being trampled on when they make a fuss about something so trivial as an illustration of a man who more than likely never existed.

Either it's all ok to talk about and poke fun at, or nothing is ok to talk about and poke fun at... grow up.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

Dontblink
thanks for posting and very well put, thanks.

It is funny we are talking about this now and I just happen to be watching the south park episode dealing with Muhomad.

south park

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Update.

Pakistani protesters shouted "Death to Facebook", "Death to America" and burnt US flags on Friday, venting growing anger over "sacrilegious" caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed on the Internet.

A Facebook user organised an "Everyone Draw Mohammed Day" competition to promote "freedom of expression", inspired by an American woman cartoonist, but sparked a major backlash in the conservative Muslim country of 170 million.
sorce

So in responce, lets all go draw Mohammed!
wiki

top topics

join