It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costner Brothers Gadget to be Tested by BP in the Gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Kevin Costner and his brother Dan, a scientist, have 6 devices now approved for testing by BP's COO Doug Suttles.

Testing on the water/oil separation devices began on 17MAY10.

Oil Bosses Testing Costner's Gadget

KEVIN COSTNER's dreams of saving the Louisiana coastline from a mass oil spillage have moved a step closer - BP bosses have agreed to test out his water-oil separation device.

The Bodyguard star jetted into the region last week (13May10) with his scientist brother Dan after an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico ruptured, sending a huge slick drifting towards the state's shores.

I could toss in a bit of sarcasm, but in this case, can only hope that the tests are successful and can be used to help clean up this growing disaster.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
well, I have given 6 ways of stopping the oil flow, but they choose to ignore common sense. first off, this is a 8" pipe... cleanly broken - cause...? very suspecious if you ask me... I have seen video, and its a problem that has a straight forward solution. slip a 8" collar coupler on it. I guess it would stop the flow to early. so they went with this capture dome... >>>????? seems my idea has not been attempted yet... I wonder why...? this oil spill is very interesting.... I wonder when they will turn off the flow.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Anti-Evil]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thousands offered ideas for oil seperation but Costner gets his tested out by the coastguard? oh,no favoritism here, not at all.

coastguard is acting like star struck teenage girls.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Kevin Costner to the rescue .

The very best of luck to the both of them .

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yay! Costner & Co. to the Rescue!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5c9d31a48b8.gif[/atsimg]

Kevin is just happy because this is a bigger disaster than Waterworld...

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Here's a local news clip on the device..

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here's another article, a bit more in depth as to how long Costner and his brother have been working on this technology:

Kevin Costner in BP Oil Spill Spotlight

Kevin Costner is suddenly playing a starring role in the effort to contain the BP(BP) oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

On Wednesday, in what will almost assuredly be described as the longest of long shots, BP gave the 55-year-old star of such films as the post-apocalyptic "Water World" approval to test six devices developed two decades earlier, after the Exxon Mobil(XOM) Valdez oil spill, by a company funded largely by Costner.
The centrifuge devices work by sucking in contaminated water and separating the oil from the clean sea water. The Army Corps of Engineers has given its stamp of approval for the method.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Another article on the tech, forthcoming test, it also includes local leaders' frustrations in regards to the speed of approval of another proposed method to help ease the effects of this spill:

www.latimes.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">www.latimes.com

The actor has invested 15 years and $24 million in a cleanup system involving centrifugal oil separators. BP and the Coast Guard plan to test six of the machines on the spill next week.

The " Kevin Costner solution" to the worsening oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico may actually work, and none too soon for the president of Plaquemines Parish.

Costner has invested 15 years and about $24 million in a novel way of sifting oil spills that he began working on while making his own maritime film, "Waterworld," released in 1995.

Two decades later, BP and the U.S. Coast Guard plan to test six of his massive, stainless steel centrifugal oil separators next week. Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser welcomed the effort, even as he and Louisiana officials blasted the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for delays in approving an emergency plan to build sand "islands" to protect the bayous of his parish.

A business partner of Costner's said:

If all goes according to plan, he said, "We could have as many as 26 machines dispatched throughout the gulf. Our largest machine is 112 inches high, weighs 2 ½ tons and cleans 210,000 gallons a day of oily water. We are hoping to have 10 machines that size out there — meaning we could potentially clean 2 million gallons of oil water a day."

Sounds like a good start to me.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It looks like the first of these devices should be ready for deployment tomorrow..

Kevin Costner's clean-up operation

Giant “vacuum cleaners” built by Kevin Costner, star of Waterworld and other ecologically-minded movies, are to be tested by BP in the Gulf of Mexico this week.

The drum-shaped machines, which suck up 200,000 gallons of oil and water a day and seperate it by centrifugal force, have been designed by Costner’s partners in Louisiana-based Ocean Therapy Solutions (OTS).

This weekend six machines are being assembled on barges moored off Louisiana. They could cast off as soon as dawn tomorrow.

Costner has also teamed up with John Houghtaling, a New Orleans trial lawyer and chief executive of OTS, to finance a documentary about the disaster to keep BP “honest” in the clean-up operation.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Favoritism yes. Care? Not so much.

If they work then really who cares? At this point I think most of us are happy with this news whether it is coming from someone like Kevin Costner or some normal person posting on some board somewhere....

I've never met the guy, I don't really think I have any place to say what kind of person he is.

If it takes an Actor who's name everyone knows to get this thing cleaned up then who cares at this point really? It's America, the sheeple don't care until the actors get involved anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Agreed.

Who cares who thinks these things up, just let them fix it. End of story.

He has the money, resources, drive, and power to probably achieve some kind of positive outcome out of a monsterous disaster. All BP needs to do is find a way to close the pipe. Then Kevin Costner can go out in the Gulf and Save the world, cause he has webbed feet and he takes care of his ocean buddies.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

He is also a helluva shot with a bow and arrow, one heck of a sailor and a driving range pro from west Texas when he has time to get away from his baseball field building activities.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Yay! Costner & Co. to the Rescue!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5c9d31a48b8.gif[/atsimg]

Kevin is just happy because this is a bigger disaster than Waterworld...

— Doc Velocity

Nah, he's just there to film the sequel...Oilworld

new topics

top topics

join