Haitian Farmers Commit to Burning Monsanto Hybrid Seeds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think the anti-GMO fever is fear-mongering whipped up by those who want to de-populate the planet.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Maybe you can help me understand: what exactly is the problem with genetically modified seeds? I've heard a lot of arguments against them that seem based on strange assumptions, yet I've heard many scientists from many fields claiming that the anti-GM seed fervor is irrational and will ultimately cost lives. Help please?

Here is a good reason why GM seeds is a threat to humanity. The GM genocide

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
I think the anti-GMO fever is fear-mongering whipped up by those who want to de-populate the planet.

Big thumbs down to that
Organic farming practices are sustainable and can give off large yields. GMO farming, even if the products were safe to consume(that's a big if), is still detrimental to the soil.
There are no real food shortages anyway, the Farm bill pays farmers to NOT grow food on their land. And pays them to keep the market price for products like corn at or below cost so that other countries and sustainable farms can't compete. It's an artificial food shortage that out gov't and corporations have created.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here's the deal.

How do we know the cats not already out of the bag and that this cross pollination hasn't already wreaked havoc and ruined many of the worlds agricultural areas and what happens if this some how spills over into non food related plants? Then we have other plants that are crucial to life on the planet. Being Sterilized

Science gone crazy? Can anybody remind me again if they have found out why the BEE population is dwindling? "Terminator gene?"

RELATED?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Maybe you can help me understand: what exactly is the problem with genetically modified seeds? I've heard a lot of arguments against them that seem based on strange assumptions, yet I've heard many scientists from many fields claiming that the anti-GM seed fervor is irrational and will ultimately cost lives. Help please?

Aside from the above mentioned sterility of the crops grown with GM seed, the biggest problem is that they are messing around at the genetic level (mixing plant and animal DNA as an example). While there is a chance the seed/plants have absolutely no negative impact on other plants and animals (including humans) there is no proof one way or the other.

I would feel much safer about GM crops if they had been trialled over several (human) generations instead of assuming they are safe. As it is, let's say there is a negative effect that only shows itself after a few generations. By then we will be so overrun by GM crops of all kinds that reversing the problem will be impossible...except maybe with the help of pharma-co... and even then, who can trust a bunch of twits who find a way to give an 90 yr old guy a stiffy but have yet to make a dent against the common cold.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Remember the gov/media ploy of using a steam-roller (asphalt leveler) to a pile of guns confisgated to teach kids guns are evil. Instead of burning the seeds (which is propbably dangerous to them) they should toss them into the new roadbeds for highways being constructed.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
Now if every country and farmer would take note and act accordingly... personally it should be the entire Monsanto establishments that need to be burned to the ground. The worse company and cancer on the planet.

An example of what bad does come from human greed.

I whole-heartedly agree & if it were possible to agree more than that, I would.
The fact that this company has the audacity to patent a perpetually evolving and adapting living organism makes me want to go medieval on these people. Seriously, how can you OWN a seed?? Hate is a very strong word and I use it selectively. I hate, hate, double hate, abhor and loathe entirely the way this entity operates and everything they stand for. And I'm a lover, not a hater, so take that for what you will.
In a perfect world, Haiti destroying any "seeds of goodwill" from Monsanto will make international headline news, thus inspiring all Monsanto-enslaved farmers to torch their seeds of abomination (I know, a bit over the top, but I couldn't help myself because it seemed so fitting.)
The only thing I don't agree with in your post, but wish I did, was that this really was the worst company and cancer on our planet. At least then we'd know exactly who the enemy was & have a better likelihood of overcoming them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Many countries are refusing the Monsanto poison in a pod they are offering, no only they do not produce any seeds they will invade other species of plants...

If they are genetically-engineered with terminator technology, then how can they cross-pollinate?

[edit on 20-5-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

The first generation is able to pollinate, the next one after that wont, it is sterile. It is a way to control the market. It forces the farmers to buy next years seed.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by marg6043
Many countries are refusing the Monsanto poison in a pod they are offering, no only they do not produce any seeds they will invade other species of plants...

If they are genetically-engineered with terminator technology, then how can they cross-pollinate?

Well, they claim they aren't using the terminator technology aka GURT (Gene Use Restriction Technology):

www.monsanto.com...

Monsanto has never developed or commercialized a sterile seed product. Sharing many of the concerns of small landholder farmers, Monsanto made a commitment in 1999 not to commercialize sterile seed technology in food crops. We stand firmly by this commitment. We have no plans or research that would violate this commitment in any way.

If Monsanto should decide to move forward in the area of GURTs, we would do so in consultation with experts and stakeholders, including NGOs. Our commitment to protecting smallholder farmers and our promise not to commercialize sterile seed technology will carry forward with these developments, should they occur.

Last Updated: 07/16/2009

Last time I posted something about Monsanto from Monsanto's website I got flamed...OK let the flaming begin.

So the terminator technology is one misconception. The other misconception is that the pesticides are genetically engineered in the plants. I don't know if in some cases that may be true, but in the case of the topic of this thread, the roundup-ready seeds, it's my understanding that the seeds and the plants have no roundup unless the farmers use roundup, in which case the plants can then absorb whatever roundup the farmers use. What makes these plants different is that the roundup would kill an ordinary plant but apparently it doesn't kill the roundup ready plants.

Regarding the pesticides on the seeds, that is probably true, however, it's unfortunate the Haiti agriculture minister agreed to accept the seeds if Haiti is just going to burn them. They should have refused to accept the seeds at all. If they burn them I don't know if the burning will destroy all the pesticides so if that was one of their worries, the pesticides may still get into their water supply etc.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Here's the deal.

How do we know the cats not already out of the bag and that this cross pollination hasn't already wreaked havoc and ruined many of the worlds agricultural areas and what happens if this some how spills over into non food related plants? Then we have other plants that are crucial to life on the planet. Being Sterilized

Science gone crazy? Can anybody remind me again if they have found out why the BEE population is dwindling? "Terminator gene?"

RELATED?

Actually, as was posted before, I don't think they are actually creating this 'terminator' seed as of yet. Then again, they have been caught lying many times before. What they do have a hold on though is the fact that once a farmer uses their seed they are stuck paying to keep using the seed that is generated from these crops. This is why some farmers who DON'T use their seed get into trouble from cross pollination. Which is absolutely ridiculous that a company can come in and take some farmers land just because their plan in the first place was to have the farmer next door get their crops to seed and pollin stages.

But alas, they are yet to use this terminator seed as I was led to believe by documentaries such as 'The Corporation' and so on. At least by their own account.

Is Monsanto Ever Going to Sell or Create "Terminator" Seeds?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Is there no end to human greed and brutallity that corporations will use the guise of charity and extend a false hope and promise of regeneration so that they can milk the population of haiti and other countries dry !

My heart is saddened .

WTF is wrong with us

Ive just went to their UK site

is this not the biggest load of BS ever

Mosanto

[edit on 20-5-2010 by sapien82]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
First and foremost, Hybrid plants do NOT regenerate!! They naturally contaminate natural plants in an area, and eventually STERILIZE entire crops. 3rd world countries deepend on these seeds to replant their crops the next season.
IMO, Companies like Monsanto intend to expand their market share by causing this to happen. That way 3rd world countries become dependent on outside seed purchases yearly. This is a dangerous but intentional maneuver by Monsanto.

In addition,
Hybrid plants require more fertilisers, herbicides, pesticides due to their inherent lack of resistence.
Open-pollinated varieties of seed have been grown and selected selected under organic conditions by nature over time for their desirable traits.

O-PV are also dynamic, mutating and adapting to a local ecosystem, whereas hybrid seed is static, or unable to adapt, since their seed will not breed the original plant.
IF you try to get seeds from a Hybrid, the seeds will not be true to the plant that you grew, or they may be sterile. These seeds, therefore, cannot be saved, or used to grow another crop. In some countrys , Many heirloom varities have just been "lost" forever.

2012 is NOT the only reason for the DOOMSDAY SEED VAULT IN ANTARTICA!!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Monsanto basically it trying to eliminate seeds which were cultivated naturally over generations by farmer. They also do not allow farmers to keep seeds from season to season forcing them to buy new seeds every season. Monsanto's goal is to monopolize food essentially and they have put many honest farmers out of work by bankrupting them.

I am proud of the Haitian farmers for taking a stand against this evil corporation!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
As bad as the situation is there in Haiti, I think it's telling that even they don't want to plant that crap. While I'm happy to see someone standing up to Monsanto, I hope the result isn't more suffering. The Haitians have seen more than their fair share of that, and from more than just earthquakes.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
this reminds me entirely of the film REPO the genetic opera !

A company creates a disease ( sound familar) then comes up with the cure , or at least the replacement of organs which replace diseased or dying ones , these organs are sold to the customers , and if they fail to make the payments they are reposssed and the customers die !

population control and monopoly on disease control !

arent we all excited about what the future brings

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thanks Oracle for posting this interesting read!

Kudos to the Haitian farmers - working against the worst evil of planet Earth!

They have my support!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There's just something divinely creepy about a plant that thrives when Roundup is sprayed on it, and all other organic life shrivels into fast death. Further creepiness is to proclaim that humans and animals can eat the fruit of the thriving plant with no possible side effect.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Made this real quick going to try and do a better one with the montano plant logo !

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is some of the most dangerous stuff I heard in a while, trying to capitalize on the seeds themselves, if this terminator gene is even half truth this is not good. Haitian farmers did the best thing they could, trojan horse indeed, monsato and any who try to capitalize by such means should be terminated period no if's and buts. Only humanity would take something that grows freely and splice it to specific conditions to not germanate, basically limiting the scope of your existence for the sake of a few to profit from it. If these seeds became used world wide that's basically, ensuring that not only population control, but the first major natural cataclysm  will leave humanity with lots of credit and useless money paper to wipe there ars with, as they starve to death because nothing grows.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join