It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescription drug use by U.S. children on the rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Prescription drug use by U.S. children on the rise

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Children were the leading growth demographic for the pharmaceutical industry in 2009, with the increase of prescription drug use among youngsters nearly four times higher than in the overall population, according to a report by Medco Health Solutions Inc.

But the increases in prescription drug use by children for chronic conditions could fuel significantly higher health care costs as those young patients enter adulthood, Medco said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I had to put this into Breaking News because "Children were the leading growth demographic for the pharmaceutical industry in 2009, with the increase of prescription drug use among youngsters nearly four times higher than in the overall population." - from the article. That first paragraph literally blew me out of my seat. The article was released earlier today.

This has got to be bad, extremely bad. FOUR times higher than the rest of the people!!!! And this is just in the US!

"More than one in four insured children in the United States and nearly 30 percent of adolescents aged 10 to 19 took at least one prescription medicine to treat a chronic condition in 2009." 1/4 of the insured and about 1/3 total. Those are alarming numbers.

Since 2001, ages 10-19 theres been a 50% increase in cholesteral lowering drugs, 24% increase in blood pressure drugs, and 147% increase for heart burn and acid reflux. Thats the obesity part of the article.

Children using type 2 diabeties drugs increased 150% since 2001, and the girls had a 200% increase on their side.

Now heres the kickerin the Antipsychotic drugs section of the article - "Use of some antipsychotics has also been associated with significant weight gain and increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, potentially compounding health problems. "

The use of antipsychotics has doubled since 2001, and even more than doubled for the girls.............

Okay, so let me get this straight....Some Antipsychotics lead to significant weight gain, therefore the child needs more drugs to combat that gain......Here take one, wait now you need this and this and this until infinity.

Are our children really that messed up here in the US???? Or is it just all about the money...... Im guessing a bit of both.

No mention of other countries in the article though. Id be guessing that other countries have alot lower amount of children taking drugs compared to the US.

I think there was an article posted on here a few weeks ago
about how the US was the main consumer for perscription drugs. I may need help finding that thread.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2010 by buni11687]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I graduated just as the PX craze was hitting in High School. The Pharma drugs are way more hardcore than what's on the street. Kids today can get a way more intense buzz raiding their mother's medicine cabinet than dropping money on the street. Considering drugs like methadone, xanax, ambien, ritalin, and all manner of anxiety and speed drugs are literally in the majority of households. Consider the complete decline of youth culture, education, and support in this country. Is anyone surprised these kids are getting #ed up in record numbers? I also find it rather ball-less that we'll turn into an issue that these kids are getting wasted on these drugs, yet somehow it's completely okay and acceptable in our society for adults to liquidate themselves on them. Doctors are just glorified drug dealers these days.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PatesHatriots

This article wasn't so much about illicit drug use as it was about children being prescribed more and more drugs by the medical mafia.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Where do you think they start? When I was going to school, kids were trading their scripts (usually ritalin or other forms of speed which were popular) all the time. I remember it was like an Arab Traders market on the back of the bus. I remember this wave hitting as young as 13 when kids first started getting scripts for whatever the medical field said was wrong with them. Of course they would give 'em to their friends. Then by 15 or 16 kids bored with their own scripts started getting into their parents script and taking and selling/trading them.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by PatesHatriots]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PatesHatriots

I had the same stuff happen in my highschool, and its a school in a pretty nice area. People were trading their perscriptions for almost anything, even food during lunch. The perscriptions are just so common, it seemed like everyone was doing it and almost nobody thought bad about it.

The kids would say, "Hey its legal, so of course its going to be perfectly fine for us to take them." Ive seen what getting addicted to perscribed medication does to people. Its basically the same addiction as Heroin, sometimes even worse.

I wonder how many of our children taking all this stuff at an early age are going to become addicted after a few years. If they dont, they'll be perscribed even more pills for other conditions the original pills caused. Its a messed up world.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This might seem like a strange comment. But the kids in my area know more about their medications then anyone adult. Prescription pills can sell big on the streets and with pills being legal and police having no way of judging children and teens for selling pills.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I would say, atleast from my opinon, every area has atleast a small group of kids who are into the perscription drug scene. Even when I talk to my cousins who live hundreds of miles away from me in a small town in Minnesota say they have the same problems.

The perscription drugs are so easy to get ahold of, and some kids know theres money involed for them. The sad thing is, is that these drugs are so dangerous, but in the kids mind, its okay for them to take them because the goverment/parents take them to, and legal.

Every period of commercials these days, there's always 1 or 2 different drugs advertised. We all know how those commercials go, 100 different symtoms and 100 different side effects, but hey, you NEED to buy this!!!!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I was studying pre-med with the intention of going in to psychiatry. However once I learned how the pharma cartel works I changed my mind.

I changed my major to computer science, and I am studying herbalism on my own time. I've made a few medicinal extracts from plants I've gathered with good success.

I've attended a few herbalism meetings and after I finish my computer work I hope to become more entwined with that culture. I know folk medicine and shamanism are going to experience a revival when the public at large realizes how detrimental modern medicine is to their health.

Even if you aren't feeling physically ill, I recommend experimenting with herbs and meditation. You might be surprised at how much stress it can relieve.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Chief growing trends in pharmaceuticals prescribed to teens IMO are anti-acne meds such as doxycycline and "the pill" for ho bags that cant keep their legs shut. After that would be dexamphetamine or ritalin for the ADD nubs followed closely by SSRI's for the fat emo's.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Are our children really that messed up here in the US???? Or is it just all about the money...... Im guessing a bit of both.

I will say we are seeing more childhood obesity than ever. This might have something to do withe the rise in medication. Also, when I was kid i actually had some frightening cholesterol numbers. See a number of 200 was quite normal for me when you took my blood. My parents tried everything, everything in the house was low fat. The doctors finally just decided it was probably just natural for me considering I was a kid and growing. This kind of mentality does not exist today. Everything outside of the norm is a problem. Using adult medications was a bit taboo twenty years ago. I remember hearing docs argue with each other over giving a kid allergy medication. It just wasn't heard of. Now, here we are twenty year later. A lot of barriers have broken down. Think about the things we do now is hospitals. Gastric bypass surgery? Did not exist for awhile and took over 10 years to become "mainstream" despite the fact is carries certain risks (and most people seem to gain their weight back).

You live in a lazy society, none of this should be surprising.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Can't pay attention in school? Must be ADHD, here's some ritalin. No way you just have poor work ethic.

Feeling a little sad today? Must be depression, here's some prozac. No way you just believe everything revolves around you and today the bubble burst.

In my day I'd be told to get over it. That being said, there are a number of children that do require medication for actual conditions, but I don't think it's as endemic as the prescription rates suggest.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

There's more then a small percentage of children using medication in my area. It's like a new drug market out there. Many of these pills sell more then hardcore drugs, Because of how difficult it is to get them. One of the problem is the parents giving it to them when they are younger telling them pills work better for body pains. Then it just snow balls from there.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The only thing I can say about this news is . . . "incredible" who need illegal drugs when they can get them legally by the big pharma cartel.

I have seen how the prescription drug industry has taken over the adult population in this nation and now they are targeting our future, what a future indeed, hook on prescribed drugs to be able to cope with reality.

This is actually frightening and taking into consideration the side effects of all the drugs combine we are really in trouble people.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I remember back in highschool and middleschool, the schools would have us students take a few hour class that just talked about how dangerous drugs were - illegal drugs. They talk just a few minutes about some common perscribed drugs, such as oxycontin and xanax, but the other 4 hours are all about the illegal ones. Thats the education about the perscription drugs our children get, or atleast the bare minimum amount of information.

Now about the parents getting the information (dangers/side effects - short and long term), where do they get it? The doctors, alot whom I believe are in leauge with big pharma, and the internet. Considering this is America by the way, what are the odds of the average parent looking up all the information on the internet about the perscription drug they are about to give their children? I know some do look up the information, but I would be pretty sure some do not.

Once again, I have to throw this sentence from the article back in -

Use of some antipsychotics has also been associated with significant weight gain and increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, potentially compounding health problems.

And obesity perscription is on the rise along with antipsychotics. It really does look like a cycle of "take this, now take this later, and then this to". Look at all the advertising out there for obesity and antipsychotics. Commercial after commercial, magazine ad after magazine ad.

I know some children really actually need some of these medications, but with the amount use has risen since 2001, I seriously cannot see how some use has increased 200%.

What are some of these children going to be thinking after they're 30 years old? What are their livers going to look like with all these pills going into their system? How much dopamine will still be able to be produced by their brain by itself? Im sure they're going to be perscribed more medication to deal with the original medications they were perscribed.

What do people from other countries think of us? Is this normal for other countries?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
The doctors finally just decided it was probably just natural for me considering I was a kid and growing. This kind of mentality does not exist today. Everything outside of the norm is a problem.

Yup. Used to be it's was 'just the way you are' or 'in time you may grow out of it but will watch it just in case' to 'that's slightly irregular but we can fix that with some meds.'

People are treating their health the way L.A. treats it's breasts. If it isnt picture perfect medicine will make it picture perfect. Sure, there will be some scaring and crazy chemical issues down the line but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

new topics

top topics

join