It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP, Coast Guard Officers Block Journalists From Filming Oil-Covered Beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Apparently the BP Oil Spill cover-up is in now in full swing and we the people get a rare glimpse of just how entagled our Governement and Coporate interests really are. If this source is correct, which cites the Huffington Post and CBS, then BP is literally riding around with an entourage of Coast Guard Officers warning people not to film the oil spill or face arrest. There are reports of equipment being confiscated...
Well, is just begs the question, who the hell is the Coast Guard working for these days?

Source

BP, Coast Guard Officers Block Journalists From Filming Oil-Covered Beach (VIDEO)
Reported by Huffington Post on Wednesday, 19 May 2010 (10 hours ago)
Emerging reports are raising the question of just how much of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill journalists are able to document.

When CBS tried to film a beach with heavy oil on the shore in South Pass, Louisiana, a boat of BP contractors, and two Coast Guard officers, told them to turn around, or be arrested.

"This is BP's rules, it's not ours," someone aboard the boat said. Coast Guard officials told CBS that they're looking into it.

As the Coast Guard is a branch of the Armed Forces, it brings into question how closely the government and BP are working together to keep details of the disaster in the dark.

Furthermore, this may not be the sole incident of its kind. According to Mother Nature Network's Karl Burkhart, his contacts in Louisiana have given him unconfirmed reports of equipment being turned away or confiscated.

Damage control for BP's reputation, on our dime? Where does BP get the authority to arrest anyone here in the US via our own Coast Guard, especially if they were Drilling Illegally for this now spewing 100,000 Barrels a Day that we can see from space.

My apologies if the story has already been posted, ran across and got mad enough to start a thread.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
What the hell? Freedom of the press anyone?

2nd line

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

Something very wrong is going on ON TOP of the already so wrong I don't have a word for it.

I heard some junk tonight about this oil washing up in Florida had been analyzed and that it was NOT from the BP spill. They weren't sure where it was from.

I wanted to know WHO had analyzed it.

I mean, come on, I can see it looks like a duck, and it is walking like a duck, and it is quaking like a duck....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Who is the Coast Guard working for?

Read my location.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is truly enraging and unacceptable. BP has NO RIGHT to utilize the Coast Guard to confiscate the belongings of JOURNALISTS AND SCIENTISTS who have every single right to be on the scene documenting and examining the spill and subsequent effects.

Here's another good link on this:

www.mnn.com...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Truly disgusting, I wonder if I can get the National Guard to come shoo away the neighbors and confiscate their cameras so they can't get shots of my rusty lawnmower. No, of course not, so where in the hell does BP get the authority from? This happened near a beach so I'm assuming it was in US territory, is there some legal mumbo-jumbo that empowers corporations like this, can any company just utilize the US military to protect their reputation? I'm just as mad as anybody but the implications of this one little facet of this disaster are pretty scary, we learned nothing from Katrina.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I would have to imagine that the CBS crew should have known they weren't violating any law. Are they just idiots with cameras and microphones or do they stand for something more than a paycheck? We need these stories, people. I know there are journalists out there who would have stood their ground given the opportunity...

Seems rather spineless, and the acts of the CG remind me that tools with badges basically sit back and wait for someone (who may or may not have authority) to tell them what to do.

Like really, really stupid attack dogs...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well I'll be double-dipped in apple sauce, What in the seventh sphincter of Hell is wrong with the double-damned people on this god forsaken world we live on!!!

The coast Guard arresting journalists against the constitution, the journalist cowering like 1/2 pound chihuahuas, BP butt raping our gulf of Mexico and drinking Cristal while watching the spill just grow and grow!?!?!?

Seriously did every mans on Earth Balls drop off. Is it the Bisphenol A lining our canned food and other food containers? Or is it the genetically mutated soy protein that has turned Human kind in to the gutless cowering no pines wussy girly men we have all become.

My Lord people need to put a little hair back on their chest and get some stuff done for crying like a hungry angry Baby!!!

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Izarith]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This is why this disaster was classified a "National Security" issue. To muzzle the press when things get real messy and keep the true magnitude of this disaster. If large amounts of Benzene are being released then Florida's West Coast is vulnerable as prevailing winds will carry these toxic clouds over heavily populated areas. A lot of people live in Florida.

The Coasties should have known better and argued safety concerns for not letting them pass further. It's going to get messy, it's important that BP is not allowed to limit it's liability. How they can be allowed to only pay less than 10% of the total cost of damages. Nobody knows how much damage this will do as it's still flowing and no progress is being made on stopping it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Twitchy !!!!!

Starred and Flagged this before seeing the OP is the 'god' of ATS, Twitchy

Starred every post

And now it's risen to the top of the stack again

I agree with all posters to date, by the way

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Yeah I've been lurking for a while, it's good to be back.

DEEZNUTZ, I haven't been following this story as well as I would have liked to but would be interested in knowing about the National Security classification, that definately changes the situation, arguably for the worse.
It's a rhetorical question I guess, but shouldn't Homeland Security be confiscating equipment and running these cameramen off? It was claimed that the Coast Guard said it was BP's show apparently, if this true then BP truly deserves it's fallout and maybe people will get a much needed dose of how things really work. Our Coast Guard isn't a PR entity for BP, which is what this seems to amount to. I'm suprised Alex Jones or one of those isn't trodding the beaches in waders daring them to grab his camera.

Sorry BP, somebody, somewhere is shooting footage of your catastrophe, probably right now, and it's going to hit the internet. You guys seriously underestimate the American "What do you mean I can't?" attitude. LOL

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
What the hell? Freedom of the press anyone?

2nd line

It's not just freedom of the press. It's freedom in general. That's all public areas they're guarding so noone can enter. They're controlling the information that gets out there so their little stock portfolios dont go down more.
I have to give
for the news crew. They should've gone in there anyway and get arrested. That would've been a huge story.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

I was just about to post this video before doing a quick search.

Nice thread, star and flag.

BP rules huh? When the hell did BP start making rules for our waters?

[edit on 21-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Ah crap guys I FORGOT!!!!

Ok, I took a cruise around Clearwater beach on Wednesday. It was a dinner boat and I saw a coast guard vessel pull up with a light machine gun on the front, I DO have a couple pics on disposable camera. Nothing unbelievable I know, but it NEVER crossed my mind that they would be there to enforce a no film policy. They tied to the dock and bought some monster energy drinks and then went back out into the bay. I didn't see any oil though.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

NOT THE TURTELS!!!! WHYYYYYY!!!

Man in a few months who knows what kind of bloated dead sea life is going to be washing up on the gulf shore.

Here is a link to a site monitoring floaters that were dropped into the spill.

As you can see it has all ready entered the gulf stream....not good.

Link

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The video is hardly conclusive evidence of the reporters being threatened with arrest. There's a 3 second soundbite of a casual looking guy hanging out the window of the boat saying "It's BP rules not ours" or something similar. Where is they "go away or you'll be arrested" part? I smell bull# and sensationalist reporting...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
All I have to add is, I used to holiday at clearwater!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

DEPLORABLE!!

And this cracked me up and pissed me off at the same time..."EMBEDDED"

In fact, media has been actively embedded and allowed to cover response efforts since this response began, with more than 400 embeds aboard boats and aircraft to date. Just today 16 members of the press observed clean-up operations on a vessel out of Venice, La.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by loam]

Prior to the Iraq War the Bush administation decided that they wanted to control the press covering the war...how to do that? ...The "Embedded" reporter was born. They go only where they are permitted to go and are constantly managed by the military on the ground...in essence obliterating any real freedom of movement or objectivity.

BP has learned well.....embed the reporters and keep those boats in strategic positions where the oil is able to be collected, where no real impact is visible, tell them how minor the spill is etc... if Sea turtles start washing up on shore...move the reporters!

If anyone goes "off the reservation" for the real story....like this CBS team, arrest them!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
BP and the administration need to keep a tight lid on this as it may rile people enough to start an anti-offshore drilling movement. The big company wants to protect its big profits and cover the fact that they are drilling illegally on the side. The administration wants to protect the big company because without them the pocketbooks in DC will be significantly lighter. It never changes...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
alright since the other thread got closed..

Everyone needs to S+F this thread because this is a big deal. Also reply so it gets a lot of views since it will be top of the recent posts! YOU CAN DO IT GUYS! Let's get this thread on the front page!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join