It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PND affects Dads too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Dad's also get the baby blues

Post-natal depression [PND] doesn't just affect women, with a growing body of research suggesting new dads can be just as susceptible to the condition.

PND is a well-studied condition among women, and in recent years a higher emphasis has been placed on raising awareness of this form of depression and to educate health professionals in how to identify the symptoms.

More recent US research has found as much as 10 percent of fathers suffer from PND, generally in the first three to six months after their baby's birth and if their partner has suffered from the condition, researchers writing in the Journal of the American Medical Association wrote.

Dr James Paulson and Dr Sharnail D Bazemore, both from the Department of Pediatrics at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, conducted a review of research on the subject of male PND between 1980 and 2009 and found that information on the condition was inconsistent and medical professionals were not aware of the prevalence of the condition.

"The observation that expecting and new fathers disproportionately experience depression suggests that more efforts should be made to improve screening and referral, particularly in light of the mounting evidence that early paternal depression may have substantial emotional, behavioural, and developmental effects on children," the researchers wrote.

Australian father Matt Boylan spoke with Pregnancy & Birth magazine about suffering from PND in the months after the birth of his first child.

"I lost confidence at work, and at home I was just drained and miserable," he said in the May-June issue of the magazine. "I started lying in bed staring at the ceiling thinking 'I can't do this'. I didn't feel anything, so I felt guilty."

Clinical psychologist and deputy CEO of the national depression initiative BeyondBlue organisation, Nicole Highet, told Pregnancy & Birth identifying and facing up to the problem are often one of the most difficult tasks for men and health professionals.

"If you suspect your man is anxious or depressed, then reassure him that talking about the problem does not make him any less of a man — and that getting help is the best solution," Nicole said. "The faster you get help for depression, the faster it can be treated."

Just thought it was important to bring to the attention of ATS members that men, as well as women, can suffer from Post Natal Depression (PND). The emotional demands of supporting and raising a new baby are not exclusive to mothers. Promoting awareness and understanding the signs are important for both parents.

[edit on 20/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Interesting read. Thought I would add my .02 as well. Not only does PND effect males, but PMS does as well. You women may not think we have it bad, but we do. My wife reminds me constantly.

new topics

join