It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy people are smart?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
New research proves that people with schizophrenia e.g. John Nash, demonstrate creativity beyond the normal human.

"Researchers at Karolinska Institutet studied brain neurotransmitters and receptors and discovered the dopamine system in healthy, highly creative people is similar in some respects to that seen in people with schizophrenia."

source: psychcentral.com...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by rajaten]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Duhh! lol. Of course! If we subscribe ourselves to a potential reality, then we are allowing ourselves to exist within that realm. Existing outside of the realm is way more fun!

Be schitzo! Its the new cool.

Anyway, for real though, i will have to agree.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

haha yeah I guess sanity is overrated.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Very interesting though not surprising to me at all. For some reason Hitler comes to mind here. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks he was not mentally unstable in one way or another....

But at the same time he was very smart, and came amazingly close to essentially taking over the world.

Crazy and smart... It can be a very bad mixture. Though, you said Einstein had schizophrenia? I have never heard that. Though I have heard speculation as to whether or not he may have had aspurgers syndrome.

Now a very smart man and nobel prize winner who did have Schizophrenia was John Nash. He struggled with it for years but managed to over come it and was a Harvard Professor, mathematician and as I said, even won the nobel prize.

Ron Howard made a great movie about him called "A Beautiful Mind" But I digress.

Bottom line is, I am not at all surprised to hear this.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Funny. My old teacher thought i was crazy, only to come to me last year to, and i quote, "Teach me your ways". I'm 17. Like many i have read about, from a very early age i had a very different perspective upon everything, than everyone else. I was always very mature, everyone loved me, and i would always share my ideas, which got people around me thinking outside the box and made quite a few bucks.

If i went to get a diagnoses, I'm sure they would give me a few titles.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hadn't thought of hitler, he was definitely crazy. But he harnessed it I guess to his benefit. Actually someone called Eduard Einstein had schizophrenia, not albert einstein I just checked. Maybe jesus had schizophrenia lol

+1 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I knew this before, but a thought just occurred to me. Perhaps some highly intelligent and creative people develop schizophrenia because they do not have the proper outlet for expressing their creativity. Say for example that a person was born to be a musical genius, but they grew up in a home where they had limited or no access to musical instruments. their mind needed that outlet that it never received resulting mental illness. At the very least unrestricted expressions of creativity should be a key form of therapy for those with schizophrenia.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
New research proves that people with schizophrenia e.g. John Nash, demonstrate creativity beyond the normal human.

"Researchers at Karolinska Institutet studied brain neurotransmitters and receptors and discovered the dopamine system in healthy, highly creative people is similar in some respects to that seen in people with schizophrenia."

source: psychcentral.com...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by rajaten]

Well.....no crap.

Although I prefer the term "unsane". "Sane" being agreement with my fellow human beings on what is real or not. "Insane" being inability to agree on that. "Unsane" is having a choice. The subtle difference is the inference that being "sane" is somehow preferable or "true". I'm simply not convinced of that.

Not having a desire to scare my compadre's sufficiently to be locked up for the "safety" of myself or others.....I prefer to mesh with them in most things, and to find a larger context for others. I expect that most of my unsanity will someday just be common science. OTOH, Copernicus probably thought his stuff would be accepted eventually too.

Thomas

PS I found "A Beautiful Mind" a bit disconcerting, simply because the director did such a good job of visually representing what I do in my mind on a regular basis. Isn't intelligence just pattern recognition?

PPS Fortunately,one of my little voices told me to shut the frack up.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Enderdog]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Well I agree with about...meh, 70% of what you wrote. Let me first say that I hold no degree or documented experience in the field of... whatever field this subject pertains to.

Ahem,

I, personally, believe that it is all chemical related. If the brain of the particular nutcase in question has a high level of a certain chemical well that may cause certain reaction within the brain that maybe bad or good.

So maybe schizophreblablble, how ever you spell it, just may be the result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. Not a neurological short circuit due to the fact that Eddy isn't able to fingerpaint to his heart's desire.

Or he is just out of his ******* mind.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It is certainly just a theory, and by no means would it account for all cases, but I do believe it is probable in some.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Enderdog

So your insane right?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Actually the thread for this is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please join the discussion.

Thanks Kindly,
Pax

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Great post. I will have to say that, that is huge. How would someone go about discovering this type of creative output? Do you have personal experience with this?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Some crazy people might be smart, but definitely not all.
I just had an experience with a schizophrenic that will prove this.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm not sure who gets the "crazy" label, but I have noticed that people with bi-polar disorder, ADHD, PTSD, panic disorders (and other like disorders) are hypervigilant and typically very intelligent. Not necessarily IQ smart, but many do not realize their "disability" can be an "ability" if they can channel that into being productive. I am not sure whether it is a gift or a curse because of the social stigma associated with mental disorders, but there is definitely some truth to crazy people being smart.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
what is unsane cannot be absolute positive sane, it is impossible

intelligent are living sanity that evolve absolutely whole move, how would it be from schizo stuff

who has interests in claiming such is a liar for sure noone can see a schizo intelligent, no usually the lie is not the positive interest from that lie, negative and positive mean are never one act

if it is for jesus, he wasnt unsane nor schizophrenic im sure, but neither super genius guy

it is the lie that brain function more when you want positive gains, like god force fears to enslave the reactions giving him what he wants

so what i say about the interest being the source intelligence ways is absolutly true since god proove how even negatively it works

and that is his speciality so he can guarantee taking all infinitly
and killing everyone at the same time

but the fact that interests in positive gains is making intelligence sense alive, is prooving how the one free is dead, when he is considering intelligence as the living source of himself

and that is why in general a lot of people that deal with intelligence in everyday life, are very stupid persons in real life objectively and they suffer i guess from that contradiction
intelligence is the way to support and ensure the best constance of what is, but cannot be a source unless of evil livings that are exclusively meaning their freedom in lies realisations on all others livings and the entertainement of their lonely willed life
multipliying the pleasure of being positive living from killing all in lies while at the same time enjoying living without doing any positive thing so as receiving to be the only one like god plans ends

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Crazy people smart?
I think not, it only says they are more "creative" and they tell this by their dopamine levels. Nevermind the fact that brain chemistry can differ like fingerprints from one person to another. The article is laughable really

And now the correlation between creativity and mental health has scientific backing.

Odd i would love to see an objective scientific deffinition of what creativity is. So the general idea here is that schitzos are just as creative as really creative people...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by Enderdog

So your insane right?

Nope. Did you read my post?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I knew this before, but a thought just occurred to me. Perhaps some highly intelligent and creative people develop schizophrenia because they do not have the proper outlet for expressing their creativity. Say for example that a person was born to be a musical genius, but they grew up in a home where they had limited or no access to musical instruments. their mind needed that outlet that it never received resulting mental illness. At the very least unrestricted expressions of creativity should be a key form of therapy for those with schizophrenia.

Gregory Bateson has some interesting things to say about the subject. I saw an interview with John Nash, the subject of the film A Beautiful Mind, who is schizophrenic and the originator of Games Theory, along with his son, who is also a brilliant mathemetician, and also schizophrenic. Bateson's theory held there, IMO. The elder Nash made it pretty clear that his son had no possible way to meet his criteria for being respected by him. Quite sad.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
LoL!

From personal experience within my own family...I say undoubtedly yes, the really smart ones are pretty eccentric and borderline crazy.

In a good way though, in that they make Christmas and Thanksgiving pretty damn entertaining and give us all something to gossip about the rest of the year..

Fortunately for me, I live in the South and we pride ourselves with the number of loonies in our family tree. It's a badge of honor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join