It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Power: The new form of renewable energy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Star Power: The new form of renewable energy?

www.euinfrastructure.com

t may be an American project, but it has the potential to greatly affect not only the EU, but the entire planet. Researchers at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory believe they have come up with a way to permanently cure the planet's energy woes - to create a star on Earth.

Now immediately, the entire plan sounds like 'science-fiction gone mad' and throws up some rather important questions - how can you create a star on Earth? Won't having a sun so close essentially toast the planet? And
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Large scale nuclear fusion

Using the world's largest laser, which is the size of three football fields, the scientists propose to "set off a nuclear reaction so intense that it will make a star bloom on the surface of the Earth."

If that didn't sound terrifying enough, the group are hoping to go ahead with the plan late this summer with the aim of harnessing the energy generated by the mini-star to solve the global energy crisis.

While nuclear fusion has been pitched as a 'miracle power source' for almost half a century, scientists have yet to sufficiently harness it. To make things worse for the team, the US Government Accountability Office has stated in an audit that delays and mismanagement may delay the fusion reaction this year.

sounds like cern on crack....i smell a big boom coming our way soon.

www.euinfrastructure.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well, I'll be sure to stock up on sun-block.

Are these people serious? I mean, lets just completely ignore solar, wind, wave, and tidal power to solve our energies woes...not to mention harnessing geothermal energy; but instead we can just incinerate ourselves.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by dalan.]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I can hardly believe the ignorance I am seeing from you two.
You are scared of the National Ignition Facility.

This is where they are trying to create fusion. Your terrible fears of an explosion are pretty unfounded. It is so unlikely that energy levels would ever be in excess of the containment vessel, that the number of 0's involved would be huge. There is a very very small amount of fuel inside the chamber. Once that is gone, the fire is out, so to speak.

Anyways, check out this video to learn about this, 'star on earth.'

[edit on 20-5-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Nuclear fusion experiments have been performed for decades.

I am sure the staff at LLL didn't say they were creating a star. That will have come from the typically knowledge sparse journalist.

I suggest a search for JET or ITER

That said, the NIF is one impressive laser system, especially because each lasers source is a laser diode.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Double post again. When will they fix this?

[edit on 21/5/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We already have a fusion reactor...the sun. The more I think about the difficulties of building a fusion reactor on Earth, the more sense it makes to use the one we've already got. The weather can be a problem when it's overcast, but we have the ability to put satellites into orbit above our weather. Perhaps they could collect and store energy and beam it to the ground when the clouds clear up, as just one possibility. In places like New Mexico and Arizona, the sun shines enough to use solar collectors on the ground.

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Double post again. When will they fix this?

I don't think it's an ATS problem. Whenever it happens to me, it's because I accidentally clicked twice, or clicked the refresh button on my browser, or the back and forward buttons, that will make a double post. Ever since I figured out what I was doing to cause the double posts, I stopped getting them.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Wow we don't even use the Sun we have for power.
Tesla tried for years and went to cosmic energy bulbs.
What the heck to we need one made by incompetents on Earth.
Oh wait, the Sun has Helium.
And used in the Papp engine with no radiator or refills as an over unity
device.
Yeah thats using the Suns energy in a way.
Wait we get Helium from underground gases or alpha rays
so make Radium like Tesla once proposed from his high voltage.
So thats close to having the Sun on Earth already.
Thanks science this is so wonderful.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

I don't think it's an ATS problem. Whenever it happens to me, it's because I accidentally clicked twice, or clicked the refresh button on my browser, or the back and forward buttons, that will make a double post. Ever since I figured out what I was doing to cause the double posts, I stopped getting them.

I realise that it may be me clicking twice but on my mobile device it is difficult to tell if I have clicked.

It should be simple to disable the button when clicked and change it's text to 'posting'

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The laser source amplified to a quadrillion times it's initial power before being focussed on the target where they hope to achieve some degree of fusion. The acid test for all this will be to first demonstrate greater output from the fusion than was required to cause it (something no-one has yet succeeded at) and after clearing that hurdle, it'll be necessary to show a return on the considerable investment soon enough to keep the investors optimistic.

We should know soon enough whether this proposal has the legs to go where no-one has yet been but even if it's a complete failure, it'll be a valuable learning experience.

Actually I'm somewhat incorrect in stating that no-one has achieved fusion on a small scale (ignoring the weaponised applications because they're basically useless to humanity). Hobbyists have demonstrated fusion in homemade gadgets called 'fusors' which are electrically powered and the technique has some promise if the geometry can be perfected to produce more fusion energy than the input power IE over-unity.

some info on fusors

[edit on 23/5/2010 by Pilgrum]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What they need is a fuel source that will break back down into what it was before it was put in.

This would be completely renewable, just like electricity.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by macb6497
This would be completely renewable, just like electricity.

It's true that electricity is renewable because it only requires that electrons are compelled to move in a circuit and what is it that drives them? - another energy source

So, strictly speaking, electricity is not much more than a conveyor belt allowing us to use the energy of coal, gas or waterfalls, wind, tides, nuclear reactions etc etc that are located vast distances away to run our appliances where we want them. The electrical energy you're using is just the energy of the source that drives the generator in a convenient form at a convenient location.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Electricity is some sort of ether driver.
The rotating magnets at Niagara Falls drives momentum into the ether
that is picked up by wires and sent miles away to rotate motors.

Energy of rotation was needed.
The ether is a loss less transmitter of momentum perhaps.
Ether is also a nothing to some people.

The only renewable energy items seem to be atoms.
If used in a device with sufficient input energy to drive the atoms
into a quantum leap by way of some ether interaction the over unity
device is achieved.

This seems to work with the Papp engine, needs no radiator as the
Helium and other Nobel gas mixture reacquire their pre Tesla coil
blast state after sending out enough pressure to run the engine.
Tesla may have had a straight to electricity device running on a
liquid state gas like air that takes less energy to re freeze than the
initial freeze and thus provides a path to over unity.

new topics

top topics

join