It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call to Eliminate Rape in U.S. Prisons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

There has been a call for prison rape reform in the US.

Source

A group of evangelicals have asked the Obama administration to do more about enacting prison reforms to protect incarcerated people from violence and rape. The National Association of Evangelicals has urged the government to follow up on standards initially proposed by the Bush administration.

In 2003, former president George W. Bush signed the Prison Rape Elimination Act, which called for research into prison rape and the establishment of prevention programs.

An estimated 13 percent of inmates are sexually assaulted in prison each year, many of them juveniles.

That's one of the scariest things about prison though, as far as scare tactics go. I don't know about you, but that is one of the things about prison that makes me never even contemplate committing a crime. I wouldn't make it very long in a place like that, or so I have been told
I find it hard to believe that most of the rapes are juveniles though. Is juvee that bad verses regular prison?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Unfortuantely the only way to totally wipe out prison rape is to put everyone in solitary confinement, which would be cruel and unusual punishment I am told.

That be said it is an epidemic in prisons and really needs to be dealt with.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
We could call it the National Don't Drop the Soap Act. j/k

The first thing they need to do is to reduce the prison population.Prisons should not be filled with so many non-violent offenders, because they are mixed in with the violent offenders, and if the prisons were actually filled with violent offenders would we care what they did to each other?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

We could call it the National Don't Drop the Soap Act.

Classic!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
SALT...............................................................
.............................................................PETER

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

That's actually a good idea, There was the rumor that they put it in the powdered eggs in Boot Camp when I was in the Navy. Without going into too much detail, I firmly believe that it was not a rumor in the slightest, if you can pick up what I am laying down that is.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I never understood why a prisoner can't sue the state for not protecting them. Last time I looked their sentence didn't say 10 years and ass raping as required.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
There is already legislation concerning rape in prison; it's called PREA short for Prison Rape Elimination Act which is a federal law.

Basically, it lays down guidelines for dealing with rape and of course, most importantly preventing it. As a Correctional Officer I deal with this on a regular basis. There is a 1- 800 number that offenders can use to report an occurrence of rape or sexual harassment. These reports are taken very very seriously. I've been involved with many PREA investigations.

One of the things we do to help prevent rape is to identify the probable victims and place them in Protective Custody. We have cameras covering all public or common areas such as recreation areas and dining halls; showers are watched closely to ensure that it's one inmate in a stall at any time. Tragically it is impossible to totally prevent this from happening; however, when it happens the victim is afforded counseling/treatment and the culprit is prosecuted to the fullest extent. We have a program of separating probable victims from their victimizer.

We have a good record of preventing it but there is always room for improvement and we do strive for 100 percent elimination. This is a horrific crime that we do try to prevent but understand that we are out numbered 200 to 1 on a normal basis. It is impossible to watch every offender every minute of the day.

Believe me we want to eliminate it; if I never have to obtain treatment for another rape victim I would be extremely happy. It's a hard thing to deal with for everyone most especially of course, the victim. No one deserves to be raped.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I never understood why a prisoner can't sue the state for not protecting them. Last time I looked their sentence didn't say 10 years and ass raping as required.

That made me laugh. However, one should take notice that one is raped first by the system.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

when it happens the victim is afforded counseling/treatment and the culprit is prosecuted to the fullest extent.

How many do you think go unreported because of prisoner hierarchy? If they do report it, aren't they pretty much labeled a snitch? Which is why I presume the protective custody has to be implemented. From my knowledge of prisons (my experience was military shipboard brig) protective custody means no more GP.

Most of the luxuries they do get are from the intricate system of bartering that takes place which is primarily accessible in GP. Protective custody limits their ability to obtain certain commissary legal or contraband in nature.

I would imagine that a good portion of these rapes go unreported due to that aspect of prison life.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I've been loathe to look at this thread, admirable thought the sentiment is

because we can 'call' for elimination of rape (in prisons and elsehwere) until we're hoarse ---- but to what effect ?

If the authorities were even half-serious about eliminating rape in prisons, they would have been routinely chemically-catrating criminals for decades already

In fact ---- great deterent to crime ! Incarceration automatically includes chemical castration ! Yes ! Now that's something I would support with cash

Unfortunately however, males in authority (doctors, scientists, governments, judges, etc.) seem to identify with males generally. And they seem to do a mental, protective, cupping of junk at the mere thought of doing anything that might restrict/harm/hinder male sexuality

S & F --- it's a disturbing topic. Something we know is happening (male rape/prisons) but which is too agonising to think about except when absolutely necessary. Made all the moreso by the fact the authorities seem to promote, not hinder, prison rape -- thus causing us agony over something we're basically powerless to prevent

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Quite a few get reported of course, there are false reports too. It's a great way to get someone in trouble. Protective Custody isn't what you're thinking. Basically it's a living unit like any other; difference being of course, they aren't around general population. They are afforded all the same treatment and privileges population gets. Currently we have over 150 in PC.

PREA reports for obvious reasons are strictly confidential. Best way I know to get fired outside of bringing in contraband is to talk about a PREA incident and rightly so. It truly is nobodies business.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

No one deserves to be raped.

Too bad the rapists didn't share that same opinion about their victims.
Problem being not every person in prison is a convicted rapist.

On the other hand - prison is supposed to be punishment, not day-camp.

So, now the victim's tax money is going to go to protect prisoners.

Somehow it just doesn't seem right.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, and I'm not saying I want prisoners to be raped - but - hell, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here other than it's just not right all the way around the board.

peace

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Prison Rape would be relatively easy to eliminate if we redesigned our prisons from human warehouses into more expansive facilities that provide more education and recreation, in a relatively pleasant, but restricted and contained environment.

Both States and the Federal Government have some minimum and community custody facilities like this already.

Any incident of violence or rape, or drug use, or other serious infraction of the rules, though causes you to loose that custody status and to be transferred to a more restrictive and less pleasant facility.

It simply is not worth loosing the privilege of doing time in a relatively pleasant environment, so the inmates actually restrain themselves and refrains from using violence or committing major rule infractions for that reason.

Since all prisons should be like that, who should then be placed into solitary confinement would be the offenders who committed a major or violent infraction of the rules. Rather than place the weak in protective custody, in essence restricting them further, instead the habitually violent or psychotic prisoner would be the one isolated and totally restricted.

Allowing conjugal visitation from spouses and girl friends is also an important way to reduce the sexual or physical longing for intimate physical contact with another human being in a predatory way.

Once again some minimum and community custody facilities in the U.S. already allow for limited conjugal visitations.

We certainly could manage the prison population better, and in so doing decrease the risk of recidivism.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
That's one of the scariest things about prison though, as far as scare tactics go. I don't know about you, but that is one of the things about prison that makes me never even contemplate committing a crime.

It is very frightening, and I am glad there are more efforts being made to stop this sort of victimization and abuse.

You shouldn't have to go to prison on some low level offense only to end up being raped on a daily basis. It's outrageous, considering you are already being punished for the crime as it is. The prison system can even be complicit in that they don't do nearly enough to keep such things from happening and many prisoners say their complaints go unheard.

As far as rape being a deterrent for going to prison, I'm sure the fact that this happens worries many who consider the repercussions of illegal acts. If fear of rape is the only thing keeping most people from committing criminal acts though, then we have a bigger problem on our hands than we know.

- Lee

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Just to answer your question about juveniles vs prison systems.. there are far more rapes in prison systems. While there are some in YDCs and such, they are far less common.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

No one deserves to be raped.

Too bad the rapists didn't share that same opinion about their victims.
Problem being not every person in prison is a convicted rapist.

On the other hand - prison is supposed to be punishment, not day-camp.

So, now the victim's tax money is going to go to protect prisoners.

Somehow it just doesn't seem right.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, and I'm not saying I want prisoners to be raped - but - hell, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here other than it's just not right all the way around the board.

peace

Would not safety be a basic requirment like clean water, heat etc?, but I do understand your point.

I would hate to end up in jail due to pot, taxes or manslaughter and be in the position that I'm raped beatup etc.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Nothing says "I'm a badass" more than screwing a dude in prison.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

We have a good record of preventing it but there is always room for improvement and we do strive for 100 percent elimination. This is a horrific crime that we do try to prevent but understand that we are out numbered 200 to 1 on a normal basis. It is impossible to watch every offender every minute of the day.

And that is a sad fact of prison, that the guards are so outnumbered. As someone who does work in a prison, how many offenders are there simply on non-violent drug charges?

We really need to do away with "victimless crimes."

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

Unfortunately the only way to totally wipe out prison rape is to put everyone in solitary confinement, which would be cruel and unusual punishment I am told.

That be said it is an epidemic in prisons and really needs to be dealt with.

The threat of being raped in prison is cruel and unusual. I would welcome solitary confinement.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by dalan.]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join