It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Fascinating article - with 10 or maybe 50 more years of research radio communication could be dead!. Is this why SETI will not succeed using radio waves?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How FTL communication will work. You take two plates of material that can fit onto a network interface card (NIC). You entangle the two plates so that a large percentage of the two plates become entangled. You install the plates into two separate NICs that can detect and change quantum state. You install the NICs into two devices, one that will stay here on Earth and the other will go into a "mars rover". Send the rover to Mars and enjoy your FTL communication.

Obviously we have trouble entangling just two particles. Entangling an array of particles on a plate of material would give you better hardware reliability especially considering if the entanglements are severed then you lose communication forever.

If you have trouble grasping how entanglement can provide FTL communication consider this. Tie a rope to two rocks. Stretch the rope out util it is taut. When you pull on the rope, the other end moves instantaneously. The transfer of the mechanical energy is FTL. Entanglement uses the same concept except the rope is longer (probably infinite) and is always taut.

Also, please do not confuse quantum entanglement with quantum teleportation.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
How FTL communication will work. You take two plates of material that can fit onto a network interface card (NIC). You entangle the two plates so that a large percentage of the two plates become entangled. You install the plates into two separate NICs that can detect and change quantum state.

The bolded part is the fallacy. The same one many in the thread insist on making and the same one I've tried to explain several times.

Entangled particles have the property that each will present the same quantum state at any given instance of detection The detection of this quantum state for one of the two entangled particles is what causes the second entangled particle to resolve into that same state.

There is no "changing" the quantum state of one particle to influence the quantum state of the second.

Such a situation cannot result in anything other than a random string of quantum states at the distant "receiver."

Harte

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

How FTL communication will work. You take two plates of material that can fit onto a network interface card (NIC). You entangle the two plates so that a large percentage of the two plates become entangled. You install the plates into two separate NICs that can detect and change quantum state.

The bolded part is the fallacy. The same one many in the thread insist on making and the same one I've tried to explain several times.

Entangled particles have the property that each will present the same quantum state at any given instance of detection The detection of this quantum state for one of the two entangled particles is what causes the second entangled particle to resolve into that same state.

There is no "changing" the quantum state of one particle to influence the quantum state of the second.

Such a situation cannot result in anything other than a random string of quantum states at the distant "receiver."

Harte

Not yet, but soon. Once they figure out how to do it, the market will be flooded with FTL devices. My prediction. We will see FTL communication in our lifetime and it will change gaming, space travel, and communications in general. I am not saying that it can be done today but that it will be done soon. Some people believe that NASA is secretly testing this type of technology right now.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Not yet, but soon. Once they figure out how to do it, the market will be flooded with FTL devices. My prediction. We will see FTL communication in our lifetime and it will change gaming, space travel, and communications in general. I am not saying that it can be done today but that it will be done soon. Some people believe that NASA is secretly testing this type of technology right now.

You could be right, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I will, however, guarantee you that no future technology of instantaneous communication will involve quantum entanglement of particles.

Hart

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Doesn't quantum teleportation invalidate the theory of relativity? faster-than-light communication of information is considered impossible in special relativity.

edit on 8-7-2011 by masterp because: clarification

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

As I understand it yes. Although I did have a semi-debate about this and I remember them mentioning something about how they added a theory on to the theory or something of the sorts.

It would be nice if is someone much smarter in this subject could explain how this doesn't violate the theory of relativity.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass

Originally posted by Phage
There's a problem with the transmission of quantum information.

When you check the state of the "sending" quantum, to know what you're sending...poof. It changes and the "receiver" changes.
When you check the state of the "receiving" quantum, to know what was sent...poof. It changes and the "transmitter" changes.
And so on. So while the quanta are entangled, the information which is transmitted gets kind of muddled. The two are "talking" to each other but it gets pretty noisy. I would think.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

If both quantums are in a constant phase of observation, both will be observered all the time, no matter if you would put something in or taking something out. Observing, what you want to sent or what was sent is no changing variable at that moment, it is just observing.
What if you have a power failure during the teleportation process? Would you see a pair of legs or the torso by itself on the other side? Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Doesn't quantum teleportation invalidate the theory of relativity? faster-than-light communication of information is considered impossible in special relativity.

As I pointed out, no real information is being communicated.

One particle mirrors the quantum state of the other.

The only thing being communicated is the fact that one particle has had it's quantum state resolved into a single state by observation, which, assuming the other particle is observed, will be the same quantum state as the other particle.

The other particle is not resolved simultaneously. The specific quantum state can only be determined by observation, and this has to happen at both ends.

Harte

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I don't know much about this subject but I was wondering if this quantum entanglement can explain the bizarre things about twins such as one knowing when something bad has happened to the other instantly when the other had been in an accident, but not knowing exactly what happened? Or twins doing similar things at the same time despite being far away and out of touch?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The downside is this technological theory/method relies on having sensors on EVERYTHING so they can rule out everything else's changes/effects that would also effect a sub atomic particle they are monitoring for changes.

We'd consume our sun creating the required sensors to monitor the entire solar system. Don't think this is feasible until we leave this solar system and start getting access to resources outside of our own solar system.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join