It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
What is light? IMO, light is:

1) An invisible electromagnetic wave of energy, propagating at an infinite speed. I forgot where I read it, but I believe its speed is equal to the spin of the atom(or is it electron?), which is equal to the speed of light. In other words, what we perceive as its speed is really the reflected speed of the spin of the atoms.

2) Since it's a wave, it doesn't really have a color, until it comes into contact with matter. And what we perceive as color is really the frequency that is reflected, and our brain's interpretation of that frequency, when the electromagnetic wave interacts with the atoms.

3) Since it's a wave, it doesn't occupy space. Therefore, in order for anything to travel faster than light, it also must not occupy space(information happens to fit this criterion.)

IMO, supposed that we could remove all the matter in the universe, then this wave would just circle the universe at an infinite speed, unseen and undetected. What gives light its properties then is its interactions with matter, and how we perceive the results.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by np6888]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
See, but they're not talking about information traveling faster than light. They're talking about the entire contents of the Universe being contained in, say, the nucleus of one Hydrogen atom, and that every Hydrogen nucleus contains the identical contents of the Universe. Let's say you excite a few of the myriad subatomic particles contained therein in a very precise manner — theoretically, something like a voodoo doll, an entangled set of particles on the other side of the Universe will resonate simultaneously and identically. Nonlocalized simultaneity.

For the naysayers out there, those who are dissing the whole notion of "transmitting information" on a quantum level (although that's not really an accurate expression of what's taking place), the fact remains that they've been doing it in the lab for nearly 20 years, and now they're taking the research into the field, so to speak.

And apparently it works.

The surest way to drive innovation is to sit back and scoff at it.

So, scoff away.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Still Naive?
Has anyone noticed my posts? Does anyone not remember AstroEngineer?

As for AstroEngineers blog if anyone is interested in reading it (it's a fantastic read, thats as real as it gets) you can go here: astroengineer.wordpress.com...

It directly pertains to the topic at hand.

I'm excited to see this about quantum entanglement, the more I read the more it sounds to me like Astroengineer really did have inside information. He also called the Voyager communication thing correctly before NASA did. Definitely worth reading his story for those who want to see where quantum entanglement might be. And read his comments to, they are as interesting as the story.

I noticed he hasn't posted on his blog in a week or two, hope he gets back to it. I always wonder when these whistleblowers stop it means it was a hoax or it means TPTB got to them.

Paul

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

They're talking about the entire contents of the Universe being contained in, say, the nucleus of one Hydrogen atom, and that every Hydrogen nucleus contains the identical contents of the Universe.

What? No, that is not what they are talking about at all. Quantum entanglement deals with particles which have their states joined as the result of being created together, from the decay of another particle. The state of one of a pair of quanta is dependent on the state of the other of the pair, the two are entangled, their states are inseparable regardless of any space between them. This experiment is a further demonstration of quantum theory, entanglement being one part of that. They created a batch of entangled particles and separated them, they found that indeed, the state of the separated quantum was dependent on the state of its twin.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Let's say you excite a few of the myriad subatomic particles contained therein in a very precise manner — theoretically, something like a voodoo doll, an entangled set of particles on the other side of the Universe will resonate simultaneously and identically. Nonlocalized simultaneity.

Forgive me if this is completely wrong, I admit this stuff is way over my head... but could the process be compared to something like 'referencing' in web design code... in which we'd use an 'id' or 'class' name to provide/retrieve information to/from multiple, completely separated documents -- so long as each document is "linked" by sharing the same unique 'class/id'?

Or is this analogy way off?

[edit on 20/5/10 by Navieko]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

This is your position. : I must say that science like to destroy this sort of "what you can't do" position : I think we must apply the scientific method ( allways , and that mean to consider all possibiliies ). So tell us your references when you say : "This results in a completely random "signal' and thus no information exchange between your counterpart and yourself. " : ie "Quantum teleportation" means 1)we cannot change quantum state ( "'Quantum' Spintronics" and at CNRS, Introduction to Spintronics and Spin Quantum Computation) 2) and keep Quantum_entanglement

Researchers Suggest Quantum Dots as Media for Teleportation

Remarks
* After this operation, Bob's qubit will take on the state |\psi\rangle_B= \alpha |0\rangle_B + \beta|1\rangle_B, and Alice's qubit becomes (undefined) part of an entangled state. Teleportation does not result in the copying of qubits, and hence is consistent with the no cloning theorem.

* There is no transfer of matter or energy involved. Alice's particle has not been physically moved to Bob; only its STATE has been TRANSFERED !. The term "teleportation", coined by Bennett, Brassard, Crépeau, Jozsa, Peres and Wootters, reflects the indistinguishability of quantum mechanical particles.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by psychederic]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state. When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter.

Sounds like a lot of double speak to me. Can someone explain this in plain simple English? No where in there do I see how information is actually moved from point A to point B.

Some would say we already have this. It's called prayer. So if in theory these things are possible.. why is it so hard to believe in a God? Sounds like a lot of the same kinda thing to me.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I think I'll pass on this new-fangled 'teleporting' technology. It might be useful someday for communicating. But for exploring the universe... I'll stick with good old-fashioned hyperspace flying saucers.

You all can have fun keeping your entanglements, uh... entangled.

[edit on 5/21/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

theoretically, something like a voodoo doll, an entangled set of particles on the other side of the Universe will resonate simultaneously and identically

What Phage said is true.

Plus, there's a catch to putting quantum entangled particles on the other side of the universe with the technology mentioned in the article, you have to get them there. So while the quantum entanglement may transmit information faster than light, it's not clear to me that they can create a quantum entanglement over vast distances initially. It sounds like what they do is create a quantum entanglement locally, then separate the quantum entangled particles by moving one or both of them through space..

An analogy would be building a telephone line versus using the telephone line once it's built. Building the telephone line is slow, as is moving the quantum entangled particles through space.

Using the telephone line for communication after it's built is much faster (a fraction of the speed of light), and similarly, communicating with quantum entangled particles can be faster than light once you've separated them.

So you have to build the telephone poles before you can use the telephone, Likewise, you have to move the quantum particles apart at sub-light speeds before you can communicate with them at faster than light speeds, with our current technology at least.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I'd like to point out a common misconception about quantum teleportation.

Quantum teleportation can not be used for FTL communication. To measure the state of the entanged photons you have to measure them both(as they are entangled). If you want to transmit information you have to send your measurement information to the receiver by the usual route(at speed of light).

Quantum teleportation is still interesting because of its use in quantum cryptography and quantum computing.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

"it's not clear to me that they can create a quantum entanglement over vast distances initially"

Yes : at least you have to send your other particule with normal physic, where you want in space. Let say a car ? this is what they done , i think.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
Yes : at least you have to send your other particule with normal physic, where you want in space. Let say a car ? this is what they done , i think.
Something like that, but I'm not sure they used a car:

From the OP link:

In this particular experiment, researchers maximally entangled two photons using both spatial and polarization modes and sent the one with higher energy through a ten-mile-long free space channel. They found that the distant photon was still able to respond to changes in state of the photon they held onto even at this unprecedented distance.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
That sounds great.Now here is my theorie about teleportation.Teleporting matter from one location to another.Simple or complexed.Just imegien every atom in your body is changed to a light atom and fired somewhere and then the light atoms are turned back in to organic atoms and assembeled back to the original form.A alpha partical and partical beam is fired at each inderviual body atom.The alpha partical removes the part of the atom to reconfigure it to a light atom.The other partibeam picks up the light atom and it is fired to another location.At the other end another alpha partical is fired at light atom to replace the part it removed before to turn it back into a organic atom.The whole body is reasembeled within a second and you return to normal at another location.Thats kind of how i believe it might work.We are really talking about some advanced technology here.It is just mind boggling at the amount of alpha particals and partibeams needed for technology like this.I believe the current alien technology on the earth is no way near this advanced.It could be too advanced for the aliens we all know about.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by GORGANTHIUM]

[edit on 21-5-2010 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
I'd like to point out a common misconception about quantum teleportation.

Quantum teleportation can not be used for FTL communication.

Right, there's quantum teleportation which is probably at the speed of light.

And there's quantum entanglement which can transmit information faster than light, though that information may not be communication.

Quantum mechanics

Certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as quantum entanglement, appear to transmit information faster than light. According to the No-communication theorem these phenomena do not allow true communication;

Quantum teleportation transmits quantum information at whatever speed is used to transmit the same amount of classical information, likely the speed of light.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Quantum teleportation is practical utilization of quantum entanglement. It is not a different effect or something. Quantum entanglement means that the photons are sharing a quantum state and can not be viewed as separate entities. The fascinating part is that they can be spatially separated. But you can not use them to transmit information.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
So you have to build the telephone poles before you can use the telephone, Likewise, you have to move the quantum particles apart at sub-light speeds before you can communicate with them at faster than light speeds, with our current technology at least.

That, however, leaves out the possibility of particles that have naturally entangled themselves.

Fans of the Big Bang and singularities probably would take in account of those very causes to to create such a quantum entanglements as a natural event.

I wouldn't think it impossible the lighting, from weather, itself has the possibility to create such an entanglement. This leads to other possibilities, yet the question is how ready are we to prove these real or not. Think what Eyjafjallajokull‎ has or could do... the obsidian communication device on Stargate series becomes a little more real.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
It is not a different effect or something. Quantum entanglement means that the photons are sharing a quantum state and can not be viewed as separate entities. The fascinating part is that they can be spatially separated. But you can not use them to transmit information.

You're right that "Quantum teleportation is practical utilization of quantum entanglement."

But you're wrong if you're claiming quantum entanglement cannot transmit information faster than the speed of light. That would be true about quantum teleportation but not about quantum entanglement. Some of this is semantics.

This post at Physicsforums explains it:

www.physicsforums.com...

True, in the case of quantum entaglement, you are not sending a signal from receptor A to receptor B faster than the speed of light, you are transmitting information about the state of the partner particle at the other receptor faster than the speed of light.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
Before I start this is all called Bells Theorem, read about it 30 years ago. About photon pairs, if we can act upon one photon (probably orientation) causing the other to do the same thing, it can be used to control a piece of equipment.

Not so.

When you "act on one photon," you observe it. Your observation causes the other to simultaneously resolve into the same state as the one you acted on.

I believe you're thinking of the entanglement process itself, which occurs to both photons before they are sent out on their different paths.

I think you're thinking of this because what you said reminds me of a commonly used example of entanglement involving checking the polarization of one photon of an entangled pair. Polarization involves the spin of the photon, which is one of the determinants of the photon's quantum state.

When you determine the polarization of the "nearby" photon, the "far off" photon immediately displays the exact same polarity.

But the polarity of the two photons is shared between them during the entanglement process, not after they are separated.

Harte

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Wave bye bye to the nice new technology!

Suuuuure, all the nice telecommunication companies, the shipping and fuel industries, and all the rest of them, will be more than happy to sit back and allow this to blossom!

Right?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if you go ahead and read the comments under the linked article, this point is made quite clear, amid the cacophony of overexcited, undereducated comments.

Overexcited, perhaps, but not undereducated. You sound as though you're giving up early — one of the pitfalls of dogmatic and jaded thinking. Perhaps it's time to step aside and allow the bees to fly, although Science says they're incapable of flight.
— Doc Velocity

I'm not trying to stop anyone. I'm simply trying to explain the process.

This process cannot be used to transmit information from one location to the other. That is a physical impossiblity using quantum entanglement.

That doesn't mean it can't be done some other way. Just not this way.

Harte

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join