It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by NWtoHide
Of course if and when they figure out how to transport matter with this process it will really change things.

Well, our present technology is only tickling entangled subatomic particles over near-earth distances.

As the theory goes, you should be able to tickle a particle here on Earth and another particle in Proxima Centauri will giggle.

The implications are mind-boggling. Since we're messing with subatomic particles — of which everything is composed — then there should be nothing to stop us from tickling whole volumes of matter and energy, and having, say, a complete self-sustaining colony of humans just materialize instantly at Proxima Centauri.

Or anywhere in the Universe.

— Doc Velocity

Could this be why people go crazy or hear or see things ?

Maybe somebody far away is messing with them ( for a reason of course though ) to see the effect...and so they aren't crazy, but we just are not advanced enough to know what is going on....

just a stretch though..

But yea this is great news to hear.

If we could talk honestly with 100 of the brightest and most open minded people on earth, i'm sure they would tell us that all our "crazy" ideas are actually very easily possible and have been for a while....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taikun
This is just ALPHANUMERIC ! Really great news.

With all the doppelganger talk this thought just occurred to me, it might have flaws; What if We the citizens on Earth are someone else's doppelgangers ? Once we "die" we are sent back to our original selves ? The new dopplers are stripped of any memories, an empty shell if you may, and sent back here as a sort of an experiment ?

But more on topic. This is awesome news for the science community and humanity at large. Much more funding should be pulled into this and more minds should converge on this project. Rather then building colliders we should be building teleportation gates ... just a thought

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Taikun]

Like the movie Moon that just came out on DVD ?

Just saw it the other night and well actually I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it...but go watch it !

It's different but hints at some things you talk of in a way....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is a seriously interesting development in regards to Q teleportation. Ive seen alot of people jump to the idea of transporting matter to far away locales..Im thinking something alot more local. Teleporting energy to homes and businesses. That would be able to cut down alot of environmental damage by reducing the carbon print of the vehicles used to transport the energy to where its needed. Also in case of storms or inclement weather there would be no danger of losing power assuming the power station itself isnt taken offline. A country could generate the power in its on borders and Q-Tele it to wherever its needed without having to cross physical barriers or borders of countries in the throes of conflict. The demand for energy would be reduced and alot of the social and economical problems in our world would be alleviated if not outright done away with. what say anyone else?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Still Naive?
I implore everyone who has not yet read the Curiosity of Spirit blog to read the entire story as it directly relates to quantum entanglement.

This guy first posted his discovery here at ATS and was shunned away because of dis-believers. This corroborates astro engineers story working for NASA with the Spirit rover. He implys faster than light communication. PLEASE read!!!

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

I don't know if there is a method to achieve FTL that I don't know of, maybe there could be in some distant future, who knows.

What I know is that the method used to achieve Quantum Teleportation allows one to know what the other person knows, but the knowledge itself is random in nature. It's like flipping a coin and knowing that if I see head you will surely see tails, but that still does not allow communication.

What they did with this experiment is show that it can be done at greater distances, and probably reinforce the idea that the state change occurs at FTL, which by itself is anti-ensteinian (or more than likely uncovers a hidden dimension at which the particles are really close to each other, at least in my opinion). And that is in fact interesting, but still does not allow one to engineer a machine to send bits at FTL, at least as is.

-rrr

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Quantum teleportation was developed some time ago.
Its no surprise that even in games, like Mass Effect, had these sort of knowledge of transmitting information on vast distances of space.
I think we are in the lowest chain of information, that is available in current state of development.
That makes me wonder, how much is there that we are not aware of.
Talk about selfishness of the elites, they think that its time to know the possibilities of information transfer capabilities.
What else do they hold back from public?
Anyway its only matter of my perspective huh...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Rickyrrr,

Good. Maybe they'll read that one.

But I'm just being naive, probably.

After all, I explained it three times in this thread already and subsequent posters continued on, oblivious to the facts of the matter.

Harte

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I had proposed this 20 years ago, after I read about the "spin" of a photon that is "entangled" influencing the spin of its twin. The communication would entail a intermediary light source, that output entangled photons that was between the two communication points (like a telegraph).

An Astronomer/Physics geek told me that they'd already checked that out and that information can't be sent that way.

But I figured that you could use "entangled photons" to collapse the intermediary signals on one end, such that you made groups of photons "certain" and groups "uncertain" -- so the influenced photons would announce their state at the other end -- meaning, any state, is a 1, and any non-state is a 0.

If that isn't what they are doing YET -- then let me at least get credit for saying it about 20 years ago. Seems like that's the story with everything; either I'm not believed when I say it, or nobody believes that I said it when it's something everyone now believes.

>> But I recognize that making the practical device is a lot of work -- it's just that I feel like a lot of Quantum Physics makes sense to me and a LOT of it is totally wrong, but mathematically correct (wrong REASON, but the math works out via observation). I think the current concepts in physics are really holding back progress -- especially the idea of "uncertainty" and this "observer" nonsense. The only reason particles ACT like observation is influencing the Universe is because we "view them" with the equivalent of a cannon ball. And this concept of the Universe made of 28 particles and growing for every unexplained phenomena means that these aren't particles they are looking at.

Entangled Photons are "fields" that move out in a sphere with greatest potential energy at the point they THINK is a particle. The energy can ONLY be relayed from another field at it's peak output (meaning, all the energy that the photon originally released), so the field collapses when it is observed or when it "bounces." It's many times simpler a concept and it explains all these "tunneling and teleportation" effects than what is in vogue.

Of course, when the Particle theory is thrown out for Waves -- nobody will remember me saying this. *sigh*

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'd wager that this technology may be farther ahead within the private sector than what's being portrayed here. The trends seems to indicate the gradual leaking of tech to the public as to get everyone else "up to speed" as the next gen is often considered for commercialization.

It's fascinating either way!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
To say the observer on the receiver end notices the effect before the cause happens by the sender seems to apply ignorance simply in the realization of the events. What has really supported this theory that the cause of the event happens before the effect?

Even if they both have a clock and they record the time of events, what is to really say that, under quantum terms, the realization did not occur in the correct order and timeclock can't be used to measure these events. Time in quantum terms are typically thought of in units of space or of some fractal reference.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

What I know is that the method used to achieve Quantum Teleportation allows one to know what the other person knows, but the knowledge itself is random in nature. It's like flipping a coin and knowing that if I see head you will surely see tails, but that still does not allow communication.

Sure you can... Your heads or tails example...change it to 1's and zeroes...

What is this site? In essence, nothing but a fancy display of 1's and zeroes...

Technically, no information is sent (or so the quantum physicists would say...though I'd argue, then how does it know?)....but the behavior is seen, and if the meaning is set ahead of time, well, then you could effect communication....

Of course, quantum entanglement always raises several questions... For one, I think Einstein said it best with his "spooky action at a distance" comment or "God does not play dice"... There has to be SOME kind of connection here that exists beyond our current understanding of forces, waves, etc. that we're not "seeing" with our instruments and/or senses....and THAT is probably more important than finding a way to use something before we even understand it...

And, just because so far, light APPEARS to be the fastest thing in the Universe, that's assuming that we know of everything there is to know of out there. In other words, just because we haven't seen it yet, doesn't mean it isn't out there (especially if it can go FTL...)....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The first thing that comes to mind, as far as applying this, is being able to control robots, like the rover on mars, in real time. We would be so much more efficient. Also, real time communication if humans were to go to Mars. Very cool stuff!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed my posts? Does anyone not remember AstroEngineer?

People are debating back and fourth on whats possible and what is not possible when we really, truthfully, have no idea what is possible and what isnt.

Over the years LOTS of things were considered "impossible" yet, somehow, they are announced to the public as functional and are under development.

AstroEngineer came here before anyone on this current topic, with his story of working for NASA. He and colleague of his figured out that the government was using quantum entanglement to send data from the spirit rover FTL (faster than light) to the department of defense, editing the photos and sending it back to the spirit rover before the pictures were actually downloaded from spirit (they were intercepting the photos).

Quantum entanglement is real. With the current use of quantum entanglement, not only does it provide FTL communications, it has opened many more windows for technological advancement.

Here is a snippit quoted from Fran De Aquino of LANL (Los Alamos National Laboratory)

"It is shown that the gravity acceleration just above a chamber filled with gas or plasma at ultra-low pressure can be strongly reduced by applying an Extra Low-Frequency (ELF) electromagnetic field across the gas or the plasma. This Gravitational Shielding Effect is related to the recent discovery of quantum correlation between gravitational mass and inertial mass.

This Gravitational Shielding Effect is unprecedented in the literature and can not be understood in the framework of General Relativity. From the technical point of view, there are several applications for this discovery.

It will change the paradigms of energy generation, transportation and telecommunications."

As for AstroEngineers blog if anyone is interested in reading it (it's a fantastic read, thats as real as it gets) you can go here: astroengineer.wordpress.com...

It directly pertains to the topic at hand.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Still Naive?]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by immortal coil

I often consider that if a science group in a lab or university has come up with some interesting technology, chances are good that this tech has already been created and is being worked on in some government lab.

When you consider that to protect an idea or invention you have to apply to a government body, I guarantee there's someone in there weeding out the good bits the moment an idea surfaces that could be of military value.

So, if this is now public, you can bet your ass the US Govt. has this in development a lot further down the line. IMO.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

We could send people to Mars and be able to communicate as though they were in the room.

It appears that the recieving ion "predicted" that its entangled partner was about to switch before it actually did.

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing it

Hmm and we wonder why the universe is apparently so empty, as we scan the skies looking for extra terrestrial radio waves.

If we humans, at such a, supposed, early stage of our technological advancement can do this then considering the technology and science another race, many hundreds or thousands of years more scientifically mature than us, just boggles the mind.

I think whatever kind of way "they" are using to spread information will be far from the kind of waves we know and more likely something our best minds would currently consider impossible.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Still Naive?

Fran De Aquino is not associated with Los Alamos. He does not seem to have a doctorate.
users.elo.com.br...

He is what is known as a fringe scientist. Very fringe.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Booker’s
Another cool thing about quantum teleportation is that according to the Observer Effect, any observation of quantum transmitted information changes that information because it was observed - which means that privacy is guaranteed, since there's no way to hide snooping.

I looked at the post a couple above yours with the link to AstroEngineer's blog to see if it talked about this...but I don't see where he does.

Anyway. The USAF has supposedly already deployed a version of this in the latest block of DSP sats. The reason why is exactly what you said - any interception of the communication can be detected - no more man in the middle attacks. If you go google around on quantum entanglement and USAF, you used to find a LOT of links.

They occasionally stroke checks to people who seem to be onto something just to get a peek at what they did, last time I read a report on one was in 2004 or 5, when some guy had been talking like he had an entanglement communication device, they paid him 40k and found out he wasn't quite telling the truth.

edit: To be more clear, they're exploiting a quantum entanglement trick for encryption and commsec more than quantum teleportation per se. I found the paper they paid the money for, it was pretty disappointing once they got their hands on the guy's work, and many a finger was shook at a few people. Alas.

second edit: Here's a link to something relevant to the quantum comm link trick. It's a bit farther along than they're talking about, at least with space-to-space links, the ground-space version may be a bit more difficult.

third edit: We're not the only ones working on it. IIRC, there's also a major Japanese electronics company that has spun off some chips that can send quantum encrypted video with exchanges of new keys on a frame-by-frame basis over fiber optics, although we haven't used them in a project yet. But we're looking for an excuse.

fourth edit: Here's an unclassified design solicitation, these often have all sorts of interesting info in them, like where the project's out of, who's the project manager or some of the staff, and some background lit.

fifth and final edit - I'm out of here to a customer's site for a week: This turned up on a search for some readable USAF quantum comm documents. It doesn't have anything to do with the topic much (there's a one liner on the last slide), but it's interesting, and it has something I'm sure will set some of you abuzz - a pic of a flying saucer with a USAF symbol photoshopped onto it. It's a joke, but it's interesting stuff all the same. I'd start a topic with it if I had the time, but I'm walking out the door as I type. Ta.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I just had to duck in here and post this story that I read a few weeks ago. Tom Kenyon is a brain researcher, among other things. He has many articles on his website and this one story is quite intriguing, as Tom doesn't seem to be much of an exaggerator. This story is regarding the Siddhis and the Powers of Consciuosness. I can only post a part of it. If you feel like finishing it, the link is below....

Stepping out of the boat onto the sand, we were greeted by someone who appeared to be in his early thirties and had the air of authority about him. Our host explained that I had come from Washington State to visit. The Abbott smiled approvingly and proceeded to take us on a tour of the small monastery, which consisted of perhaps a dozen men or so. As we headed up a path into the shade of cedars, he noted that the monastery did not often get to host pilgrims.

He took us to several spots including the small hut where the saint lived. I recall the air being musty from the old manuscripts and pictures of icons that had been in the saint’s possession. But there was also an unmistakable sense of serenity. The Abbott also took us to a sacred spring reputed to have healing powers. Finally he took us to the small chapel where the saint had been previously buried. His body had since been removed, but the site was still considered holy.

The Abbott caught me staring at a corner of the chapel. He asked me what I was seeing, and I said I was seeing a column of white light coming out of the floor and going up through the roof. The Abbott seemed to smile a bit and said that the saint had been buried in that corner of the church. Then he said something in a somewhat dreamy voice as if he were part way into another world, I remember his words because they sounded so odd to me at the time, “would that we were all so sensitive.”

tomkenyon.com...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
I can't wait for my quantum entagled cellphone!

or quantum tv.
I wonder if you can get HD channels on it.

by that time TV's would be available in a 3d 4d hologram's and be Super HD Virtual reality heck maybe it would be like eXistenZ! A David Cronanburg !Movie!!!
and the Tech of our Blue Rays would be like a Finger in the Sand or a more like Cylinder record in comparison what is holding in the Future ! more like your in the movie Virtual Reality ! ! just think of the Start Trek Hologram Simulator

we need to have a beacon in every desired location in our galaxy

Say like Stargate! ohh wait isnt there one in the Gulf Aden

Sources
www.welcomethelight.com...

Gulf of Aden - The Coming Conflict ( A brief )

Project Camelot interviews Aaron McCollum
( not sure if he is legit but Interesting )

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by NWtoHide
Of course if and when they figure out how to transport matter with this process it will really change things.

Well, our present technology is only tickling entangled subatomic particles over near-earth distances.

As the theory goes, you should be able to tickle a particle here on Earth and another particle in Proxima Centauri will giggle.

The implications are mind-boggling. Since we're messing with subatomic particles — of which everything is composed — then there should be nothing to stop us from tickling whole volumes of matter and energy, and having, say, a complete self-sustaining colony of humans just materialize instantly at Proxima Centauri.

Or anywhere in the Universe.

— Doc Velocity

Here's the problem with that. Are the copy and the original the same exact person? Theoretically if you get teleported, the original you may die with an exact copy of you elsewhere.

The only way to really do it is to teleport the "original" matter. Otherwise in the end it just makes a copy.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
How is this going to work?

As far as I understand they still need a connection or channel, and they still need to fire the entangled photon to the location they want to communicate with.

How do they get an entagled photon to Mars?

The article said they shot the photon through a "free space channel', what do they mean by that?

They are talking about a physical channel right?

So they would have to build one to Mars, to communicate with Mars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join