It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Illegal Aliens really deserve this much attention?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Any sensible person knows that there are costs and drawbacks to having illegal aliens in America. For example, while many illegal aliens are good, honest, hard working people; some are not. While many illegal aliens take jobs Americans would not do, some take jobs away from American workers.

This being said, do illegal aliens really deserve the negative publicity they are getting? Does this negative attention in the media stem from a genuine perception illegal aliens are a root of deep social problems or is it just scapegoating? Can anybody tell me how and why illegal aliens are the most hated or should be the most hated group in America?

I can think of many groups of people who have caused more problems in our society than illegal immigrants, yet nobody is calling for their heads on a plate. Nobody is calling to punish real estate speculators, bankers selling junk securities, or people who bought houses they knew or should have known they could not afford. Hell, as a lawyer I have to say that certain members of my profession have cost more Americans jobs than illegal immigrants have.

So tell me, why are illegal aliens public enemy #1.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Certainly the costs associated with illegal immigrants is enormous and I would gladly welcome a secure U.S. border and I would certainly welcome the return of illegal immigrants to their homeland, I've never heard anyone refer to them as "public enemy #1.”

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bowlbyville

We all know about the attention Arizona is paying to the illegal alien menace. Although illegal aliens may or may not be having a net adverse affect on Arizona's economy, Arizona's economic troubles are primarily due to its real estate bubble bursting. You think the people of Arizona would properly channel their anger towards the real estate speculators, the people that bought homes they could not afford, and bankers.

But no. Arizonans are blaming the people that cut their grass for their decreasing home values.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Can anybody tell me how and why illegal aliens are the most hated or should be the most hated group in America?

Because they make good scapegoats. We went from blaming government, to federal reserve, to bankers and wall streets and have finally landed on illegals as the main reason are country is going bankrupt.

Nobody cares that illegals didn't give out money to those who are more fortunate.

Nobody cares that illegals don't post their own business signs that says "se hable Espanol" or their answering machine to say "press 1 for English.

Nobody cares that the reports on the cost of illegals are inaccurate due to the fact that many records of who is illegal and who isn't aren't kept.

Nobody cares that many Americans don't pay taxes and abuse the system just as nobody cares that illegals don't write the laws illegals supposedly take advantage of.

Nobody cares that this issue is basically a non-issue during good times.

Nobody cares that government is wasting trillions of taxpayer's money.

Nobody cares about the reason for the violence along the Southern Border. I mean who cares that the US is involved and supporting the war on drugs.

:shk:

Blame the Illegals is a popular theme and I expect it to get worst as election day gets nearer.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
They absolutely do not. This is just the new hot button issue to put fear and anger in the majority of the populace who's too stupid to see the major bigger problems in society. It always makes me laugh how the fear machine and specifically the right wing fear machine operates. First they tried to galvanize support over Obama's lousy policies (while being complete hypocrites in that their failure did it the same or worse for eight years) then they tried to get people enraged over health care (and then quickly forgot about two seconds after they lost) and now their new plot to terrorize the populace is illegal immigration. I think it's smart that they've finally picked an issue that won't go away and will appeal to the subtle and under the surface racism inherit in America to create support for some patriotic cause. Personally I think it's kind of silly. Consider we've had illegal immigrants storming over the borders since the entirety of this country's history, I can't help but suspect that this increased attention and fervor in this country on this issue isn't completely pure. Especially since I've seen this movie... only I couldn't understand it since it was in black and white and the narration was in German.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ask anyone who has lost a family member because of an illegal. Ask the child who was abused by an illegal pedophile. Ask the family man who is trying to care for his family and can't find a job because of illegals. Ask the people whos' identities were stolen. Yes they do indeed deserve the negativity they are recieving.

Ask the elderly woman who was denied help with medical because she made 3.oo over the poverty limit, while an illegal gets free medical. She will tell you they deserve the negative attention. Ask the people who hear gunshots in the night or even broad daylight. Ask the children who cannot play in their own backyards because it is too dangerous.

With millions of people out of jobs, with America being broke, we do not need people who lie and cheat their way here with a total disregard for our laws and language.

When our citizens cannot find jobs and are forced to learn another language in some cases just to get a factory job, there is something terribly wrong. When illegals are getting freebies while legal citizens suffer, there is somehing erribly wrong. Yes they deserve the negative attention.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Well anybody could be a victim of a crime committed by members of a particular group. If I were abused as a child by an Irish pedophile, it would be absurd for me to say Irish people were the cause of all my problems. If I got mugged by a Black person, it would not be for me to blame all the problems of the world on Black people.

You cannot say all illegal aliens are bad just because a few of them commit serious crimes. Although it would be fair to say that we should crack down on the illegal aliens that are in gangs or committing serious crimes.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by bowlbyville

We all know about the attention Arizona is paying to the illegal alien menace. Although illegal aliens may or may not be having a net adverse affect on Arizona's economy, Arizona's economic troubles are primarily due to its real estate bubble bursting. You think the people of Arizona would properly channel their anger towards the real estate speculators, the people that bought homes they could not afford, and bankers.

But no. Arizonans are blaming the people that cut their grass for their decreasing home values.

I've spent months working at a power plant near the Arizona border this past fall.

The situation is beyond ridiculous.

But there is a simple solution.

1. Get the troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Build a wall from San Diego to Brownsville, Texas.

3. Man it with said troops.

4. Any American business found to be employing illegal aliens will be fined $500,000, first offense. Second offense $1,000,000.

This will do two things. First, there will be no need for this racial profiling hysteria we've been hearing about, because there will be very few (if any) illegals standing around Home Depot to be interrogated anymore.

Second it will sharply curtail drug runners and human smugglers.

But, I am sure Obama and the left would have their panties in a bunch over that plan as well....

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

Well anybody could be a victim of a crime committed by members of a particular group. If I were abused as a child by an Irish pedophile, it would be absurd for me to say Irish people were the cause of all my problems. If I got mugged by a Black person, it would not be for me to blame all the problems of the world on Black people.

You cannot say all illegal aliens are bad just because a few of them commit serious crimes. Although it would be fair to say that we should crack down on the illegal aliens that are in gangs or committing serious crimes.

Of course we have people legal and illegal who commit crimes. The point is that so many people did not have to die! We can't just let people waltz in and do whatever they want. There are more than a few illegals commiting crimes. We can't just accept that it's ok to use someone elses identity or present false documentations to get a job that should go to a citizen. We can't place illegals 'above' our own citizens.

It's hard to get out of my head, the 86 year old woman who was denied help with medical all because she made 3.oo over the poverty line and is now in debt for thousands of dollars while so many illegals get free medical. It's hard to get out of my head when a friend was turned away for a job in favor of an illegal. She had a family to feed too. I am resentful that now we are forced to be bilingual just to get a job. In over thirty years, that was never necessary.

There was a woman and her little girl coming from a dance glass that ended up dead because of an illegal, a little boy who was run over by a drunken illegal who had been arrested a number of times previously. These are just a few incidents. These things matter deeply to me because pro illegal people dismiss these things as though those lives never mattered, as though the illegal person who breaks laws are more important. It makes me sick inside. It breaks my heart that we are forced to put up with these things that never would have happened had our laws been enforced.

We all know that the government and greedy corporations are to blame, but that does not excuse the personal responsibility of the illegal who is well aware that they are working the system and doing wrong.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The sternest argument against illegal immigrants is against those who exercise criminal actions. Raping, stealing, murder, selling drugs, etc. Which is DEFINITELY an issue. Those people should be ejected into proper facilities.

However, I seriously feel this immigration HUFF-PUFF is more or less to distract us from more important issues. Like the vast amount of wealth stolen from us, not by illegals, but by home-grown civilians that saw it fit to take advantage of their own countrymen.

-----------
I used to check InfoWars for updates all the time, but it seems to me that most of the people there are taking the bait on this issue and forgetting the bigger picture.

Crackdown on the border, but refine the immigration process. Give those of honest intent the chance to make a better life for themselves without having to endure such volatile circumstances.

You think it is bad HERE? Imagine how bad it is over there. -- Make it so the law-breaking savages can't get in. But let's give the honest ones a chance that doesn't involve, "Maybe in 5 years." It isn't like waiting to get a loan, people.

This is a matter of humanity.

How long do you have to live? And how long are YOU willing to tolerate unjust conditions? Years? What if something happens to you, or your family before that time comes?

You see, this paints a very DESPERATE situation.
-----------

ANYWAY. The fact of the matter is that this issue seems to be getting milked for all its worth. All the anti-American propaganda and the supposed "anti-hispanic" business.

For god's sake, there is a MOVIE coming out that is blatantly racist against white people; all in order to practically strap a mega-pump to this issue and suck the juices out of it on an industrial level, while it's still moist.

I'm not sure that these illegal immigrants have robbed us of as many dollars as these bankers and politicians have.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It's hard to get out of my head when a friend was turned away for a job in favor of an illegal. She had a family to feed too.

Yes, but who is a fault for the lack of employment in this country? Who put us in this state of scarcity? Wasn't it those manipulators of currency that we still allow to occupy our offices of power?

We all know that the government and greedy corporations are to blame, but that does not excuse the personal responsibility of the illegal who is well aware that they are working the system and doing wrong.

The issue here is that it is NOT because they're illegal that those crimes were committed. It is because they lacked responsibility. Therefore, whether or not they were here illegally, or legally, does not really matter. Because their own personal character would lead them down that evil road. Not their illegality.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

EXCELLENT REPLIES!!!!!!!!!!! I dont think a better reply to this thread is even possible. I 100% agree with your replies.

There are MANY folks among us who have PAID into OUR system and is GETTING SCREWED while those who HAVE NOT contributed are getting a NICE FREE RIDE. This has to END.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by ToToo]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ToToo

There are MANY folks among us who have PAID into OUR system and is GETTING SCREWED while those who HAVE NOT contributed are getting a NICE FREE RIDE. This has to END.

There are both legals and illegals getting a free ride.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SentientBeyondDesign

"Free ride" is something GIVEN to someone who DID NOT, IN ANY WAY CONTRIBUTE TO THE SYSTEM. ILLEGALS have NOT contributed. Others HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE SYSTEM. Get it?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ToToo

"Free ride" is something GIVEN to someone who DID NOT, IN ANY WAY CONTRIBUTE TO THE SYSTEM. ILLEGALS have NOT contributed. Others HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE SYSTEM. Get it?

I could introduce to legal members of my family who aren't contributing a dime, unless you count sales taxes. For that matter illegals pay the same sales taxes.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Couple of things. Yes, illegal immigration is a problem and is the direct cause of many other problems such as drug & human smuggling, murdered ranchers, burdens upon US infrastructure & services and making Phoenix the #2 kidnap capital of the world. ("My folks went to Phoenix and all I got was this lousy ransom note!") Note that is sarcasm, most of the kidnap victims have been identified by Phoenix law enforcement as illegals.

Are they scapegoats? A definite YES! The AZ law shouldn't be the storm magnet it is. It is written to be exactly what federal law already calls for. And what is already in CA law, but not enforced. Immigrants are required by *federal* law to carry their immigration identification (residency card, green card) at all times. AZ law echoes that law and allows law enforcement to check citizenship if a person has criminal contact (DUI, burglary, blew the red light) and does not have identification. I believe that POTUS and admin are riling up the argument to take the heat off on other fronts.

That said, the borders do need to be enforced, immigration laws must be enforced. To paraphrase and butcher a famous quote, "A country that does not secure it's borders risks losing it's sovereignty".

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Illegal Aliens Murder 12 Americans Daily

8 American Children Are Victims of Sexual Abuse by Illegal Aliens Daily

Based on a one-year in-depth study, Deborah Schurman-Kauflin of the Violent Crimes Institute of Atlanta estimates there are about 240,000 illegal immigrant sex offenders in the United States who have had an average of four victims each. She analyzed 1,500 cases from January 1999 through April 2006 that included serial rapes, serial murders, sexual homicides and child molestation committed by illegal immigrants.

According to Edwin Rubenstien, president of ESR Research Economic Consultants, in Indianapolis in 1980, federal and state correctional facilities held fewer than 9,000 criminal aliens. But at the end of 2003, approximately 267,000 illegal aliens were incarcerated in all U.S. jails and prisons.

In April 2005, the Government Accountability Office released a report on a study of 55,322 illegal aliens incarcerated in federal, state, and local facilities during 2003. It found the following:

The 55,322 illegal aliens studied represented a total of 459,614 arrests – some eight arrests per illegal alien;

Their arrests represented a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses – some 13 offenses per illegal alien;

36 percent had been arrested at least five times before.

"While the vast majority of illegal aliens are decent people who work hard and are only trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, (something you or I would probably do if we were in their place), it is also a fact that a disproportionately high percentage of illegal aliens are criminals and sexual predators," states Peter Wagner, author of a new report called "The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration." "That is part of the dark side of illegal immigration and when we allow the 'good' in we get the 'bad' along with them. The question is, how much 'bad' is acceptable and at what price?"

www.wnd.com...

Earlier articles at the same link, include:

Study: 1 Million Sex Crimes by Illegals

Illegal Aliens Linked to Gang-rape Wave

More Illegal Aliens Tried in Gang Rapes

3 Illegals Beat Pregnant Woman

In response to the thread-title posed by the OP: ' Do Illegal Aliens Really Deserve This Much Attention ? '

maybe the response might be: ' Perhaps A Lot More Attention Should Have Been Devoted to the Issue of Illegal Aliens A Lot Sooner '

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
You guys seem to be forgetting one thing. Illegals are breaking the law just by being ILLEGAL!!!
Our government should enforce the laws that are already on the books.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ToToo

It is true there are plenty of illegal aliens who are "free riding" off the system. Many illegal aliens pay taxes in the form of sales taxes and even income taxes. I used to be a volunteer tax preparer and prepared illegal aliens income tax returns. Many of them had portions of their salary withheld by their employers.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Illegal aliens are not just Mexicans. There was a piece aired recently on an Atlanta TV station that showed that there are plenty from countries all over the world, including some that support or contribute to terrorist activities. It's not just about jobs, paying into the system or receiving benefits. Our leaky borders allow people from all over in and the segment that aired only talked about those that were actually apprehended. How about the ones that weren't apprehended?

I really don't have a problem with people that are just trying to have a better life and help their families. The problem is, out of the tens of thousands that do enter illegally on a yearly basis, it only takes 5-10, if that many, to formulate a terrorist attack. Unless you're a "Truther", fewer than 24 people shut down this country. The attempt to bomb the WTC was fewer than that. If you are a Truther and believe that 9/11 was a government conspiracy, then why wouldn't you believe that the government wouldn't allow another attack, if it served their means? If you believe in government conspiracies, why would that change under a different administration? Do you think the current administration, because a different letter resides beside its name is pure as the driven snow? It's still the government. The current administration is no better because it uses its support of amnesty to gain votes. That's all it's about. If they couldn't gain something from it, they wouldn't support it. Two sides, same coin.

Source for the aforementioned study:

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

www.wsbtv.com...

new topics

top topics