It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion TV Adevert (UK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
A frightening example of the depths which humanity has now sunken to was brought to light for me upon reading this article in the UK newspaper, The Times. The statistics alone make for frightening viewing but the sheer fact that abortions are now being placed into the homes of the masses and 'advertised' in the commercial sections inbetween broadcasts is, in my opinion, another example of the desensitization agenda at work in the West. I am sure it is only a matter of time before the euthanasia company, Dignitas, are offering early bird discounts and sandwiched inbetween Coka Cola and McDonald's.

I am aware of the dilemmas faced with some women who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy but this will not help the issue at hand. It merely reduces the status of the unborn child to the of a 'burden' which can be offload without any worry or inconvenience to your normal routine.

Termination in numbers
1/3 of British women have had an abortion
195,296 officially recorded abortions in 2008 There were 198,499 in 2007
19-20 peak age for having an abortion
91% of abortions are NHS- funded. Just over half are in independent clinics such as Marie Stopes
24 weeks upper time limit for abortion
90% of abortions are carried out under 13 weeks
Sources: Department of Health, Times database

The Times

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The service[abortion] is offered to all women up to 24 weeks of pregnancy, with the permission of two doctors, and is free on the NHS[United Kingdom Natl Health Service]. About half of the 42,000 teenage pregnancies each year end in abortion.

So, taxpayers money is determined by the amount of unprotected sex a woman has and the okay from 2 docs? Of course the doctors will say yes (they make a hefty wage for the 'free' service). A woman can stick a knife up there for all I care, but I'm not [willingly] paying for anything...this is a sign of things to come to the U States A.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extreme Pilgrim
I am aware of the dilemmas faced with some women who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy but this will not help the issue at hand. It merely reduces the status of the unborn child to the of a 'burden' which can be offload without any worry or inconvenience to your normal routine.

Termination in numbers
1/3 of British women have had an abortion
195,296 officially recorded abortions in 2008 There were 198,499 in 2007
19-20 peak age for having an abortion
91% of abortions are NHS- funded. Just over half are in independent clinics such as Marie Stopes
24 weeks upper time limit for abortion
90% of abortions are carried out under 13 weeks
Sources: Department of Health, Times database

Thank you for bringing up this issue. The statistics are staggering, the commercial distressing, and the act of infanticide an abomination. I will be praying for all to choose life.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Where has common sense gone?
My Mother, who is a feminest liberal, and I love her, I said to her one day, Mom women are smart right? Of corse they are - I said, I agree they are mom,
Mom. Women are responsible right? Well Yes Larry what are you saying?

Well, if Women are smart and responsible, and it is thier bodys and choice, then why are they getting pregnant?
What she asked. I said Mom, there are 21 different contreceptives just for women, 7 different types alone that are inserted under the skin that prevent pregnancy for up to 10 years
So If they are smart and responsible - then why are we all arguing about Abortion? No one wants to kill or have a child that is not loved.
SO BE SMART AND BE RESPONSIBLE -----DON'T GET PREGNANT !!
Where is common sense? not one politician with common sense.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarrytheCableguy
Well, if Women are smart and responsible, and it is thier bodys and choice, then why are they getting pregnant?

Pregnancy is sometimes used as a tool, not all couples get together in order to have a child. For many men it is to fulfill a desire, for many women it's a lot more mental. Sometimes plans that seem 'wise' backfire.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm amazed at how many people here are swallowing what the media are saying about this advert. Isn't that why this site exists...to break through that...to seek balance?

I'll reserve judgement till I see it for myself...rather than swallowing a big old tablet of spin washed down by a hot glass of media hysteria.

Here's an article that opened my eyes a little on the very subject - it's blatantly an opinion piece...

www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm reserving judgement and keeping my opinions open on this one - life's not as black and white as women keeping their legs shut and not getting pregnant.

This thread has major potential to degenerate into something unpleasant as it's an emotive subject..so I am ducking out now.

Very best!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I dont see anything wrong with a clinic advertising that they make abortions, so long as abortion is legal in the country.

If your country allows abortion, then it becomes a service done by hospitals and clinics. Which means there are customers. Which means there will be people who will need or desire those services. Which means the clinics which invest in marketing will have a better chance of reaching those customers.

So, the problem here is not the TV advertisement, but if the people in your country is against abortion or not. And we all know that abortion is one of those topics of discussion where there is no right or wrong, because the society is usually divided.

So, if your country dont want to have abortion advertisements on TV, then it shouldn't allow abortion in the first place.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

Surely to downgrade the act to an 'ad' takes away the seriousness of the act and sways young, impressionable minds into dismissing abortion are a mere post-coitus act. True, nobody wants to see an unloved child brought into the world but people must think before they indulge in sex and before those pro-choice people bring up the issue of rape, look at the statistics. One in every three!!!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is the one of the most disgusting things I have ever read.

I will never watch a channel 4 programme or have anything to do with anything related to channel 4 again.

I hope that the legal challenge wins. It has to because if this is really allowed then this country, and the human race, has really hit an all-time new low.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Fantastic! It's about time that the opposing point of view was allowed to speak their mind!

Let's get some of these adds on in America!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I dont think people understand how BIG this is.

If someone wants an abortion they will seek a clinic out. They do not need to be advertising. Advertising simply puts ideas into impressionable people, and lets face it, if they have an unwanted pregnancy then (aside from the obvious exceptions) they clearly are not totally responsible.

But, the more important thing, what do you think other nations, or even other races, even a god, would think, if they publicly offer services that include assisting the murder of an unborn child still its its mother's womb. This is capitalism's single most disgusting act.

If this is a test then the human race has almost failed.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
I dont think people understand how BIG this is.

If someone wants an abortion they will seek a clinic out. They do not need to be advertising. Advertising simply puts ideas into impressionable people, and lets face it, if they have an unwanted pregnancy then (aside from the obvious exceptions) they clearly are not totally responsible.

But, the more important thing, what do you think other nations, or even other races, even a god, would think, if they publicly offer services that include assisting the murder of an unborn child still its its mother's womb. This is capitalism's single most disgusting act.

If this is a test then the human race has almost failed.

God has no place here, as not everyone beleives in the same, or any, god. Therefore, using it as an argument is invalid.

Sure, someone can seek a clinic out. The difference? Just because you can seek out a clinic does not change the fact that people are openly inundated with negative propaganda.

If you want to make the conditioning argument, let's talk about the fact that ALL kids are conditioned from the moment that they are cognizant to want to have children. To think having babies is what they are 'supposed' to do.

Throw out your cliche 'murder' labels all you want. All it does is show your hand as someone who is only interested in what they consider right and wrong, not what is right and wrong for others.

Capitalism's single most disgusting act has been allowing certain groups(religious, anti-abortion, etc) to portray things as though they are the moral high ground, the 'better' side of humanity.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extreme Pilgrim

Surely to downgrade the act to an 'ad' takes away the seriousness of the act and sways young, impressionable minds into dismissing abortion are a mere post-coitus act. True, nobody wants to see an unloved child brought into the world but people must think before they indulge in sex and before those pro-choice people bring up the issue of rape, look at the statistics. One in every three!!!!

Look, by the title of this thread I don´t believe it is a thread to discuss if abortion is right or wrong and I am not even giving my opinion on that matter.

But, again, if your country allows abortion, people have the right to know WHERE they can go to have abortion. You don't just go to any clinic to do that. I am a man, but if I put myself in the shoes of a woman who wants to do an abortion, I want to go to some place safe. Now, a clinic advertising on TV surely will get my attention, since it is a sign of have a better structure and investment behind it than something I would find on GOOGLE or on the yellow pages.

You are seeing this from your moral perspective, but the cold hard fact is that if your country allows abortion, it becomes just another service. Advertising becomes something normal. I agree it is not something you see on TV everyday, but you can say the same thing about hemorrhoids and impotence. Every now and then you get a company that advertises about those subjects.

Maybe you feel that clinics advertising on TV that they do abortions will help banalise it as something trivial, but that´s a reflection of your own society. Either move to another country or try to change it. Find a politician that is against it and vote for him.

The morality of it should have been discussed BEFORE the law was passed. If your country has a law approving abortion, I am sorry, but either your values don't adequate to most of your society, or your country is not being well represented by your politicians.

Today, it is abortion. Tomorrow is cloning or something else. The truth is that politicians invest a lot on money to know what the public think about those issues during election period. If you have a president or prime minister that is in favor of abortion, that could be a reflection of how MOST of your society thinks.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
id rather them have abortions than babies, otherwise england would be a rediculus place, it is a bit rediculus, but woman sleep around a lot here. There's to many babies in the uk, I walked down an isle the other day and saw SIX babies down one isle in ASDA while I was working. 90% of the people here can't afford their babies anyway, just need to chill out tbh.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You miss my point? I was trying to say look at it from an outsider's point of view, perhaps from someone who is testing us. I am not religious, I do not believe in god. I aspire to be spiritual which is entirely different.

Im sick to death of all this PC crap. Throwing morals out of the window so we dont upset anyone who does things that are actually bad. What is wrong with a Right vs Wrong stance on things that actually are right or wrong? I am not talking about abortion in general. Thats not the discussion.

This is about those who kill their unborn child because they are too cowardly to face the consequences of their actions. These adverts are pretty much aimed at those people. It will give irresponsible people ideas.

A relative of mine has had 2 abortions (that I know of) she is extremely loose. She only thought of herself in her decision to abort the 2 babies. Im sorry but just because they are ALIVE inside her does not give her the right to deny them their life in the world. If she killed them after they were born it would be murder, so really, what is the actual difference? There are 2 people missing from the family.

They should be concentrating on responsibility, through instilling MORALS, and using non-medicinal contraception. Abortion as an option for those who screw up is unacceptable.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Firefly_]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I understand your reply but, again, the country in which I reside has opted to allow abortion to take place within its border and, as you can properly tell, I don't agree with that stance. However, the issue raised is not on the validity of infanticide, it is weather this is a further, media/government sanctioned degradation of the mindset of society and where does it end?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
You miss my point? I was trying to say look at it from an outsider's point of view, perhaps from someone who is testing us. I am not religious, I do not believe in god. I aspire to be spiritual which is entirely different.

Im sick to death of all this PC crap. Throwing morals out of the window so we dont upset anyone who does things that are actually bad. What is wrong with a Right vs Wrong stance on things that actually are right or wrong? I am not talking about abortion in general. Thats not the discussion.

This is about those who kill their unborn child because they are too cowardly to face the consequences of their actions. These adverts are pretty much aimed at those people. It will give irresponsible people ideas.

A relative of mine has had 2 abortions (that I know of) she is extremely loose. She only thought of herself in her decision to abort the 2 babies. Im sorry but just because they are ALIVE inside her does not give her the right to deny them their life in the world. If she killed them after they were born it would be murder, so really, what is the actual difference? There are 2 people missing from the family.

They should be concentrating on responsibility, through instilling MORALS, and using non-medicinal contraception. Abortion as an option for those who screw up is unacceptable.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Firefly_]

You ARE making it about morality. And whats worse, you don't seem to understand that you are basing your opinion on this off of your morals, and nothing else. Who are you to decide what is right and wrong? Your country seems to feel differently than you...why are YOU the one who is correct?

You continue to talk about 'killing unborn children', and again, your words betray you. You cannot possibly expect people to look at you as anything other than a zealot when you use such hate-filled rhetoric and propaganda to try and get your point?

Furthermore, if you think that there is a large population out there that has abortions becuase they are cowardly I would challenge you to step out of the basement. Generalizing and trying to corner an entire groups feelings is not only asinine, it is arrogant and evil. You cannot possibly claim to know how each person feels. You cannot claim to know how one person feels, outside of yourself.

I'm not going to touch your paragraph about your relative, as it is emotionally based and has no logic. All I will say is that if you think someone else's life-altering decisions should be based on how they may make YOU feel, well, I am sorry for you and those that know you.

Again, instilling morals? Who will decide what is moral and what is not? Will it be you? If so, count me and mine out.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Zeropoint
id rather them have abortions than babies

I'm sure you would.

, otherwise england would be a rediculus place, it is a bit rediculus, but woman sleep around a lot here.

What a remarkably sexist thing to say.

There's to many babies in the uk, I walked down an isle the other day and saw SIX babies down one isle in ASDA while I was working.

I'm detecting a theme here and illustrates well exactly why being pro-life is a good thing. God save the queen...and her future countrypersons.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The advert has been banned from being aired here in Northern Ireland. Abortion is illegal here and in southern Ireland unless the pregnancy is endangering the womans life.

I think they should make abortion legal here, if a young woman gets pregnant and wants an abortion then she has to fly to England to get one.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
According to recent polls, 77% of the brazilian women are in favor of abortion in extreme cases. And Brazil has one of the biggest catholic population in the world.

That said, it is a reflection of the opinion of our society that, in some cases, abortion is not only legal, but morally right. So, those women have the right to know where they could go to have safe abortions. I wouldn't mind TV ads about abortion clinics here in Brazil as it seems it would be legal and care to the needs of our society. It´s best to know where it is safe, where they have a better structure to accomodate you, where they will take better care of you, than not knowing where to go.

It doesn't matter how many people in the world, in Brazil or here in this forum are against abortion. Cry all you want, pro-life, anti-life, it doesnt matter. Our society has spoken. No need to voice your opinions about it. What you should do is, again, look at your own society and see if they are divided, or if opinions are unbalanced one way or another, and see where you stand with your convictions. If abotion is legal and your society is in favor of it, then the TV ad should be ok.

At the very least, the TV ad could create an opportunity for your country to debate the subject again, which would be even more in your favor if you are against abortion and you are a minority in your point of view. It could create the opportunity to try and convince more people to change the way they think.

top topics

join