It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cost Effective Solution for Illegal Immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think the most cost effective solution for illegal immigration is to mine the borders between the US and Mexico. Of course, being a decent people and not wanting to harm innocents, we should put up signs notifying people that there is a mine field ahead. We could also run ads on Mexican TV and in Mexican publications stating that there is a mine field between the two countries.

I figure a strip of land across the us/mexico border about 200 yards wide should suffice. Just think how much we could save on border control agents, surveillence, incareration, and sending them back.

Hopefully, they would all get the point and not try to cross anymore, so nobody gets hurt.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There are people who sneak into the US via automobile. Are we going to put land mines on the roads that go from Mexico into the US?

What is needed are better immigration laws. Immigration laws should be in line with the facts on the ground. Rather than taking a fortress mentality, the immigration law should take a "weed out" mentality where the undesirable aspects of immigration are reduced while the positive aspects are maximized.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Interesting idea...I said the same thing to my friend a few days ago. It would only take a few amputees returning to Mexico to scare others from trying to migrate over here. Can locals in border states land mine their own property near the border?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I thnk the undesireable part of immigration would include the illegal part, hence the mines. Of course, we would mine the roads coming in that would be stupid, because legal Americans also use those roads. However, we could just use armed guards on the roads and check every part of every car that passes for illegals.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
We don't enforce the laws we already have....perhaps we should simply start with that.

Mine fields, although effective, are not considered a "civilized" deterrent and would never be used just for that reason in my opinion. All it would take is one person, checking the border cameras, or fences, etc., to get blown up to produce a monumental lawsuit.

We're the same country that has warnings on our hairdryers that say: "Do not use while sleeping".

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I am not advocating the use of mine fields but
Illegal is Illegal what part of the word can you not understand? I don’t care if they are White, Brown, Yellow, Red, or Plaid they are here illegally and need to be caught and deported.
see my posts starting on page 6 of this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

[edit on 19-5-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Are we not smart enough to check the cameras and fences without blowing ourselves up. I am sure we could place the fences and cameras at a safe distance from the minds. Plus would you even need cameras and fences if you have a mine field. More cost savings.

Plus how is it not civilized. We are going to put up warning signs. We are going to advertise in Mexico to let everyone know. How can you be more "civil" than that?

[edit on 19-5-2010 by CheeseyMonkey]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What good would that do .. they'd just dig more tunnels underground ... or fly in and drop off somehow ..

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I came up with an idea one day that unfortunately someone else already thought of. Put a minefield at the border, but with nonlethal mines that transmit a signal whenever one goes off. The S/N of the mine wild be linked to a database that has its GPS coordinates so the BP could respond quickly. Have them explode with a dye pack like banks use, so if you see a purple Mexican near the border, you can probably guess that he didn't go through customs.

The problem with that idea is that you'd also have purple coyotes, deer and whatever other wildlife that's trotting around out there, and plenty of false alarms.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by legalizeit

We can just shoot the planes down, but you have a good point with the tunnels. Maybe we could pump some toxic chemicals deep into the ground along the border.

Even if they get through with planes and tunnels it would drastically reduce it if we create a mine field.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Great idea. You could avoid killing wild life just by putting up a metal fence around the mine field to prevent animals from crossing it. A 30 foot high, cheap barbed wire fence should do it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Given that the US is not a party to the Ottawa Treaty im sure you could use mines - however I think you might find a weight of world opinion against you on this solution.

en.wikipedia.org...

The use of mines should be confined to that of a declared war between sovereign nations - and not thought of as simple solution for a border immigrations issue.

We brits have enough immigration issues of our own - but mining the channel and destroying the channel tunnel (our equivalent of your plan) would be throwing any moral imperative out with the bath water.

Back to the drawing board.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Why should we care about what the rest of the world thinks about how we solve our problems. Not like all of the Europeans are doing so great at taking care of their problems. In fact, you can trace most American problems to the fact that our Progressive politicians tried to emulate European foolishness.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CheeseyMonkey

Great idea. You could avoid killing wild life just by putting up a metal fence around the mine field to prevent animals from crossing it. A 30 foot high, cheap barbed wire fence should do it.

I thought of that, too, but the illegals would just cut the wire fences open to get through. It would have to be something that was strong enough to resist that.

Perhaps the mines could be set to pop at a certain weight threshold so that smaller animals wouldn't trip them. Although Mexicans and coyotes weigh about the same.

That was a JOKE, people, relax..

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Well I am sure we could make a fence that is cut resistant. Make it out of carbon fiber or something. Plus why would Mexicans try to cut through a fence to get to a mine field? That would be retarded. Kinda like cutting a fence to throw yourself into a log chipper.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CheeseyMonkey
reply to post by Silk

Why should we care about what the rest of the world thinks about how we solve our problems.

And that sort of attitude led to 9/11 I'm afraid

Please never forget that if you posture as a world leader and great power you will be scrutinised.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Well if the law is changed, then at least some of these people who are coming into the United States are no longer "illegal" because their immigration complies with the law.

The fact of the matter is, the current law is a joke. We have over ten million people that are flaunting it by living here. As a society that wishes to maintain rule of law we have three options-- (1) we can change the facts on the ground to match the law, (2) we can change the law to match the facts on the ground or (3) we can do some combination of changing the facts on the ground and changing the law.

Option 1 is not the best option. This would require mass roundups and other costly measures. Furthermore, illegal immigrants do bring benefits to our society. We might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we have a massive roundup.

Option 2 is not good either. This would allow the status quo to be maintained. There are downsides to illegal aliens being here. For example, while many illegal aliens are honest and hardworking, some come here to leech off the system and commit felonies like murder and robbery. This is like keeping the bathwater with the baby.

Option 3 is the best way to go. It allows us to throw out the bathwater while keeping the baby. We can change the facts on the ground by reducing the negative aspects of immigration. We can maintain the benefits by more or less allowing many of the illegal immigrants that are already here to stay here.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

OOOOH.. We will be scrutinised. That should lead to our demise, because a bunch of other countries cannot mind their own business. Really, if we did anything what could the rest of the world do about it, but whine like they did about our response to 911.

What is next, should China become less productive because other countries whine about them out producing everyone else?

[edit on 19-5-2010 by CheeseyMonkey]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The only just thing to do is option 1. They broke the law. The penalty is to be thrown out of the country. It is the law.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CheeseyMonkey

I said nothing about demise - merely that If you set yourself up as the worlds policemen then you have to be above reproach and cautious of your responses. If you fail to do this and are as rash as the Op suggests then you will bring down a world of hurt.

To ignore this makes you the fools - and this is coming from a citizen of the nation that stood shoulder to shoulder with you after 9/11 and has many friends serving alongside US forces at this very moment.

I will hope your response was born of a snap response and therefore let it go.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join