It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. Mayor Dismisses Warning That Arizona Could Cut Off Power Over Boycott

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
No one should be surprised by the comments of "Al Lay's" Mayor, Tony Villar.

Before entering politics he spent 15 years as an organizer for SEIU and the UTLA (United Teachers of Los Angeles). He has a close connection to the Liar-In-Chief in the White House. Tony is just following orders from BO and the rest of the Progressive crowd.

I doubt he'll be around much longer as Mayor. He'll go back to chasing women as he seems to be pretty good at it.

Adios Amigo........the sooner the better.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
In order to boycott California, it will take giving up more than just TV and movies. Better give up radio as most songs are produced and made in LA. Oh and the vast majority of everything you buy comes through ports in California. Computers, Playstations, X-Box, I think the WoW servers are in Cali, skateboards from China, well everything made in China, etc.

Happy boycotting.

I kinda dig this waterfall, so far, I am half way down and safe.
Not really sure who those guys that drive by my house are though.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
In order to boycott California, it will take giving up more than just TV and movies. Better give up radio as most songs are produced and made in LA. Oh and the vast majority of everything you buy comes through ports in California. Computers, Playstations, X-Box, I think the WoW servers are in Cali, skateboards from China, well everything made in China, etc.

Happy boycotting.

Sorry, I deleted it. I don't need any of the things you mentioned.
Just 550am KFYI local radio.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If Arizona has made this point, they better be willing to live up to it.

We only see banter going back and forth, but this could get ugly.

So fat it is tit for tat, but who really means it? I mean, c'mon, they could never get away with it, for the law suites that would be had.

Words mean nothing, in my opinion, on this. Arizona would have so many freakin lawsuites, they would never recover.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I think this is all wonderful. Whatever side of the immigration issue a person is on, I think 99% of us would agree that this kind of lively and spirited debate is a shot in the arm for all Americans. Finally, an issue that's needed to be addressed for a long time now has been brought to the forefront, and I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Mission accomplished, AZ, and thanks again.

Immigration and border security are things our government never really wants to address because it's such a hot-button topic. All the folks in DC are too busy pandering for votes, and never have time to feel in-touch with the average citizen.

Now that Arizona has got the ball rolling, and now LA is helping it along, our federal government is going to be forced to intervene at some point, and cowardly politicians are going to be forced to take a side and confront it--either to their credit or to their public humiliation, depending on how this all turns out. This may well end up leading to some sort of a "soft" civil war, and as much as I hate to say it, maybe that's what we need. You know, throw things out of balance for a bit, so that eventually we can get re-centered and find a new, healthier balance for generations to come. In our age of technology, it may just be possible to have a "civil" civil war, where violence isn't needed so much as spirited and lively debate, with few casualties, and political prisoners that can be released once the balance has been reached again.

One final note, and a hint as to where I stand on this issue, if AZ does have the ability to cut power in LA, and chooses to do so, I only hope they wait until the Lakers finish off the toolbag Steve Nash and his Los Suns. I do give Steve Nash credit for one thing: he has done something no NBA player has ever done in history--caused me to root for the Lakers in a series.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Pierce wrote. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Gotta love people who respond with grace and dignity...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I somewhat agree with your post, but remember that Arizona can also file its own lawsuits. Besides, It's pretty clear that the state gov't in AZ has done its homework and they know exactly what they're doing. I'm quite sure they knew of all the lawsuits that would stem from this legislation long before they passed it in their house and senate. Don't think for a minute that AZ and it's juggernaut Gov. Brewer have shown their cards. I wouldn't be shocked if they even had some idea that there could be boycotts from other states.

Seems like it's trendy now for conservatives to start finally making use of textbook liberal tricks. This will make for great entertainment in the upcoming months to tide us over until the awesome elections coming up in the fall. If AZ does hinder Hollywood's ability to make movies, we'll still be covered for entertainment. If I were a betting man, I'd say that shares in popcorn manufacturers will be on the rise for the rest of the year.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

TV and movies = nothing really entertaining there anyway.
Radio = I listen to free radio coming out of Kentucky when in my car/truck MP3 player elsewhere, and I have all the music I want for the most part.
Computers = have all I need.
Game boxes = do not play them, when I do play I play a free online game out of Canada.
Skateboards = too old and never learned to ride anyway.
The only problem I can see that I might have in some boycotts might be food items. However, I believe that some of the other states can pick up that for the most part.

California was once a great place to visit. It is a nice place to go and see some of the natural scenery. I would never live there and now as long as they boycott AZ I will boycott them.

I get can get most of my other expensive purchases elsewhere, Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, Arizona, Texas, Mississippi, and even my own state to name a few.

Raist

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Yes. Plus LA outright owns some of it.

reply to post by Ahabstar

Add gas to your list.

...Interstate power sales are federally regulated....

Austin Beutner, general manager of the L.A. Department of Water and Power, said his city gets between 20 and 25 percent of its daily power from Arizona, some from the city's 5.7 percent ownership of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and the balance from its 21.2 percent share of the coal-fired Navajo Generating Station.

Mayes distanced herself from the letter writing by her fellow Republican commissioner.

"What next?'' she asked.

"Is California going to tell Arizona that they're not going to send us any more gasoline on the Kinder Morgan (interstate) pipeline?'' Mayes said. "This has the potential to escalate in a way that is silly.''

Mayes said, though, she understands the mayor's response to Pierce's letter.

"I think it's unclear what he's suggesting,'' she said of her colleague. "And I think there's an implicit threat in this letter,'' which she termed "unfortunate and not constructive.''

source

Nonetheless, the issue of illegal workers has come to a national boiling point. So go after those that employ illegal aliens, and dry up their source of income.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by desert]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Another thread just posted here about the L.A. Mayor, his connection to La Raza, and former membership in MECHA:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I listen to Savage almost daily and some how I missed that caller talking to Savage!

That is one of the funniest callers I have heard, almost sad!?!

Star for the Clip!!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Nows a good a time as any to enact a plan for living without California. Because when the big quake hits and they are under water we will be glad that all those industries moved out of the state, and hopefully the population as well, wouldn't wanna wish harm on anyone. And Arizona can have the last laugh when they have ocean front property. Sounds like a win win situation.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Yeah, my open remark was flippant. And honestly, that was the point. The fact that two states are already in a whizzing contest over what should be a no brainer. Illegals are illegal. Hiring illegals is illegal. Hiding and protected illegals from prosecution is, yep, illegal.

But to boycott this and boycott that because of a boycott is asinine. Besides:

Aticle 1, Section 10. US Constitution

No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.

No state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty of tonnage, keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power, or engage in war, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay.

AZ and CA (specifically LA) saying this and doing that to each other is unconstitutional as it is formulating acts of reprisal against each other. And are not acting in the interests of the people.

My earlier remarks have to do with the fact that the Port of LA contains the majority of imported goods for the rest of the nation. Most of which travels through Arizona on the way out.

Personally I think that Arizona should push the issue to the forefront. Heck, I would be tempted to do a small round up of 20 bus loads and deport them to the White House lawn and ask Obama to start addressing this country's issues instead of bowing to foreign leaders.

But then again, some people think I can be a real pain in the butt when I want to be.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This uis getting typically out of hand bucolically speaking.....sic
is this what americans do best.quibble qith each other over stupid side issues caused by shear ignorance and fed by egoic self aggrandisement?
Sounds like the typical baseball argument....with no ump to throw the bums out.....

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo
No one should be surprised by the comments of "Al Lay's" Mayor, Tony Villar.

Before entering politics he spent 15 years as an organizer for SEIU and the UTLA (United Teachers of Los Angeles). He has a close connection to the Liar-In-Chief in the White House. Tony is just following orders from BO and the rest of the Progressive crowd.

I doubt he'll be around much longer as Mayor. He'll go back to chasing women as he seems to be pretty good at it.

Adios Amigo........the sooner the better.

He also said at one time that a white person couldnot represent the latinos or mexicalis... whatever. That he should be elected becouse of his race. It was one of the most racist comments ever made by an american public official. Freash steaming pile of racist crap.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
This uis getting typically out of hand bucolically speaking.....sic
is this what americans do best.quibble qith each other over stupid side issues caused by shear ignorance and fed by egoic self aggrandisement?
Sounds like the typical baseball argument....with no ump to throw the bums out.....

That's why we love America. We have the freedom to do such things, piss off if you don't like it.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Words mean nothing, in my opinion, on this. Arizona would have so many freakin lawsuites, they would never recover.

They could raise their rates when given the chance.

But really shouldnt Arnold step in here?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Pierce wrote. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Gotta love people who respond with grace and dignity...

This actually made me laugh out loud. Kudos to Mr. Pierce! Had to have been one of the funniest things i have read in a while =)

I believe that is "Check" sir.

Druidae

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Call his bluff.

Show them that you don't negociate with terrorists, aka illegal immigrants enablers aka California with their sanctuary cities.

Time to enforce the laws, otherwise it'll be as bad as Somalia...or MEXICO, a corrupt narco-terrorist state.

Make his day and call his bluff.

Don't fear Arizona, 80% of the american people is behind you.

The mayor of LA probably called Savage :

EDIT: Only the LA government buildings and the mayor house should have it's electricity cut off.

EDIT : Come to think of it, LA should cut itself from Arizonian energy... After all, who wants RACIST energy?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

That video was too much. The girl clearly is misinformed! How can?! But!?! GODAMN IT!@!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
well if you want to hear the ranting going on over here in AZ.. listen to the radio station here and enjoy... (its good to be in AZ these days
)

www.ktar.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join