It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Questions about putting in a link with Windows Vista

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Question about putting in a link with Windows Vista.

Why can't I do it? I will admit, that I am having problems. I can cut and copy from a source, but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to link a source.

I open up a new window on the web, and still, I cannot copy the link to a site or a headline, or whatever! I get a brief window that shows the site, then it fades away.

Can anybody clue me in, as to how to do this?

I'm really frustrated, and never had this problem before with any other type of Windows product on ATS.




posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Question about putting in a link with Windows Vista.

Why can't I do it? I will admit, that I am having problems. I can cut and copy from a source, but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to link a source.

I open up a new window on the web, and still, I cannot copy the link to a site or a headline, or whatever! I get a brief window that shows the site, then it fades away.

Can anybody clue me in, as to how to do this?

I'm really frustrated, and never had this problem before with any other type of Windows product on ATS.



Hmm..

Well your first problem is that you have Windows Vista.

I highly suggest upgrading to Windows 7 to solve your issue.

However, you should not have problems linking in ATS. Are you using the buttons at the top of the page when posting?

The little "world" symbol which brings up the URL box?

The BB code for linking is for example to link to ATS would be..

[ url=abovetopsecret.com]ATS[/url ]

Without the spaces, it would show up like this..

ATS

~Keeper

~Keeper

[edit on 5/19/2010 by tothetenthpower]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 


Uh.......doh! I'm bad at this..........so, what I use is the ex tags, is that the wrong way to go about it?

I guess I mean, I haven't done it the way you describe.

edit to add:

actually I did try to use the globe in a post recently, and still had the same issue.





[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 


Uh.......doh! I'm bad at this..........so, what I use is the ex tags, is that the wrong way to go about it?

I guess I mean, I haven't done it the way you describe.



The EX tags are just to put something as "external".

Such as this.


Example


If you want to actually link just use the example above.

For just straight links just use.

[ url=website[/url ] without spaces..

If you want to have text show in blue with a link just put..

[ url= the website]text you want to appear [/url]

That's all..

If you use the World button, the first box is for what text you want to appear, and the second box is for the actual website address..

So in first box you would put let's say Source, and then in the second box place whatever link you have, such as wikipedia.org or whatever.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/19/2010 by tothetenthpower]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 



I really appreciate your help, but, when I use what you describe, do I need to highlight the link, or just click on it, to get it in. I think this is where I am confused.



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 



I really appreciate your help, but, when I use what you describe, do I need to highlight the link, or just click on it, to get it in. I think this is where I am confused.


Nope, there's no need to add any more code, let me give you a better example.

Let's say we want to go to Wikipedia.org, but we want to link it from this post.

Now I want my link to read as Wikipedia. So here's what I do.

[ url=wikipedia.org]Wikipedia[/url ]

Once you remove the spaces, it will show up this way, in blue, and you can just click on it, to see what happens.

Remember to remove the spaces I inputed.

Wikipedia

~Keeper



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
wikipedia.org


Ok, test.......



grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm gonna keep trying!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

I think I've got it..........Thanks, Keeper!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Good job!..

Glad I could help.

Edited for mistake..

~Keeper

[edit on 5/19/2010 by tothetenthpower]

[edit on 5/19/2010 by tothetenthpower]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose
 



A Guide to BBCode on ATS


Same link without the custom name ....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Click Quote on my post to see the difference in the bbcode .


Regardless , check out the excellent thread by member loam. Should tell you all you need to know about bbcode .



 

Thanks TTTP





[edit on Wed May 19 2010 by Jbird]



posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird
 


Thank you, from one who is not savvy!

I really appreciate it, and maybe other folks who don't post will learn something too!




posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
...
Thank you, from one who is not savvy!
...


Glad to help. I was in the same boat when I started here.

Also be aware the buttons on the toolbar at the top of the composition page
will automatically add various bbcode to your text .

Can be a real time saver.




top topics



 
0

log in

join