It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need technological advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am asking this on the behalf of my friend. Here is the situation.

She lives in a internet black hole. She has a dinosaur computer, and only has access to dial up. Cable and fios has not been run to her area yet. Satellite is too expensive. Single mom with two kids.

So someone suggested a phone with internet access. Problem is, she has a contract with Verizon that doesn't end for another year. Verizon told her that it would be 500 bucks to change the plan adn upgrade and for a new phone.

I am surprised that they would charge her to break a contract instead of just upgradign it.

We are trying to figure out any internet option, and the cheapest way to do it.

Thanks!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Is the phone idea supposed to involve tying the phone to the computer, or just a smart phone to use directly on the internet? Another thing to look into if the friend is not a heavy internet user is an Aircard; the only catch is that pretty much every provider caps you to 5gb of monthly data transfer so heavy downloading can push you over the cap.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A smart phone to connect directly to the internet. The most she might want to download is some music. It is mainly so she can have contact with the outside world. And maybe find a date.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A single POTS line should run no more than $20 a month. It would be OK for internet until she did the whole peer to peer music downloading...

She could "tether" her phone to her computer and use the smart phone as a modem if she has a good data package. Verizon charges $35 a month for that plus the data in my region.

A usb wireless modem from Verizon. Cost about as much as a cell phone but they do work well if there is service.

Find the nearest neighbor with fast internet and setup a wireless network using directional high-gain antennas.

join