It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the North Atlantic Current changed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here it is....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So, it seems that the north pole is heating up more than it should still...So, I guess its safe to assume that we aren't going into an ice age yet???

The worse it gets, the more weather anomalies we will get until the earth decides to fix itself...is that how it will work though??

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The theory that seems to make sense to me is: global warming increases precipitation dramatically. Then moves the belt of great precipitation much farther north. This causes rapid buildup of ice sheets, followed by increasingly rapid and intense glacial rebound. This is how global warming causes glaciers. And this apparently will trigger a REALLY fast ice age, we're talking days or weeks tops.

There are mammoths that were found frozen while still chewing food or walking, so they must've frozen really REALLY fast somehow... so evidence points to the fact that perhaps ice ages start much faster than previously thought. I know this is also mentioned in "Day After Tomorrow" but don't let this sway you into thinking it's all fiction, as that could be just the plan all along - make sudden ice ages seem absurd because you see it in a hollywood movie.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So, it seems that the north pole is heating up more than it should still...So, I guess its safe to assume that we aren't going into an ice age yet???

The worse it gets, the more weather anomalies we will get until the earth decides to fix itself...is that how it will work though??

It's very bad for the north pole to get hot. Ice melts, slows the current, and triggers a very strange sort of iceage. Now here's the worst part. It might not be global warming that's doing this. If volcanic activity under the poles was responsible for this, the ice would melt, stopping the current, and this would not be matched with a green-house warming effect, which would make it VERY cold for anyone not swimming in the arctic ocean (and those swimming in the arctic would have a volcano erupting beneath them).

I'm having a hard time getting my computer to display pics. Did somebody say that greenland's coast had changed noticeably?!

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

I don't really know anything about this subject - but I believe that surface currents and under sea currents are different? and that the N. Atlantic current is under sea? Maybe someone can clarify this..

But if it is right, then I think that map only shows surface currents, in which case the N. Atlantic current would not show up.

I'm kinda grasping at straws here so if anyone who knows about these things can explain I would welcome it!

The warm waters from the Equator are moved north through the Atlantic on the surface, then it reaches a point where it cools and becomes saltier because of evaporation and due to this it becomes dense and its able to sink, then it goes all the way on the deep water to the southern hemisphere.

Normally the warm water going north reaches Newfoundland or the northeast Norwegian sea before it becomes dense and cool enough to sink.

You should be able to see it in those pictures, and btw, i remember reading in one of the links I have provided before that we started noticing abnormal desalinization in the North Atlantic current that was weakening the current in 1972. It has been increasing and getting worse as the Glaciers have been melting faster and even more so the last couple years or so.

I will see if I can dig the link up again.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
In the link I posted a few posts back there is a 90 day temp anomaly pic that shows the Antarctic far above normal. I mean seriously far about normal. That should concern people. Funny how this is playing out pretty much exactly as Bell and Striber had explained it in their book.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
That map (I believe) also shows the direction of flow and the north south flow in the middle north atlantic matches up with that hook feature in the SST chart.

Hello everybody, This is my very first post here at ATS, although I have been reading other posts for years. I would like to help clear up this gulfstream current question. I live in Cape May NJ, and do a lot of fishing. When I fish I live by monitoring the water currents and temperature. I can assure you that there have been no anomalies here and everything seems to be on the up and up. In reply to Indy, you are exactly right, however, you will not see the gulfstream on any surface temp map because it is a under sea current. Water temperature could be as much as 30 degrees diffarent on the surface. This is why most fish in the gulfstream are caught around undersea mountains that cause "upwellings" of warmer gulfstream water from the current. hope that bit helps.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The stream may be at or slightly below the surface but the signature has always shown up on SST charts. It also used to show up on the gulf stream velocity charts but as you should be able to see that is no longer the case. In the 90 day SST anomaly chart there is a large deviation from normal where the warmer waters should be. The stream has always warmed the surface waters up along the east coast of the US and across to Europe. This is what allows tropical systems to move north then quite a ways across the atlantic before breaking up. Perhaps you haven't noticed it right on the coast line yet but looking at the maps there is a clear sign of trouble.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So, I guess its safe to assume that we aren't going into an ice age yet???

Most people don't know that an ice age doesn't mean "the whole world" will be covered by ice, or that we don't need lower temperatures than what we are getting in winter in the northern States. All you need for an ice age is for the North Atlantic current to keep weakening and stop, this will keep the northern hemisphere cool and with more precipitation due to a much longer winterlike climate on the north and there you have it. The snow will keep packing and growing in many parts in the north including most of northern Europe and the northern States in the US.

There are other reasons that would bring an ice age, but what we are going through right now, if it doesn't change and keeps weakening the abrupt climate change will be faster in the northern hemisphere. But if it stays as it is it will obviously take longer. Either way will bring abrupt climate change to us. It could also be possible that the North Atlantic current fixes itself and then we will have no problem, but all the evidence is actually telling us the contrary.

I am not an expert on this but I have also been following it for some time now.

" While ice ages that come on over tens of thousands of years have periodically covered large areas of the globe with glaciers, Alley is more concerned with rapid climate changes -- within a decade -- that effect the northern and southern hemispheres differently. "The secret of why the whole world rides a roller coaster in the ice age and freezes and thaws is probably greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide," Alley told attendees today (Feb. 17) at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. "The seesaw effect of rapid climate change is probably caused by ocean circulation and the keys to this change are locked in the polar ice." "

Excerpted from.
www.sciencedaily.com...

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TunaTim
...you will not see the gulfstream on any surface temp map because it is a under sea current.

As the Atlantic current goes on its way north, it does so in the surface, it only goes deep underwater on its voyage south after it becomes cool enough and dense, due to salinization, enough to sink. Also winds partially help move the current on its way. But yes, you can see the gulfstream current and speeds in maps. Many universities and other agencies that study ocean currents have been doing so for sometime now.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I emailed the webmaster of a site that had been displaying gulf stream velocities and asked why the images had stopped updating a few weeks ago. I went and checked the site just now and the images have updated once again. Here is the url.

www.deos.tudelft.nl...

Notice the missing north/south component of the stream along the coast of the US. That component has been missing for some months now. How much of that north/south element is the product of the back side of the Bermuda high? The next 2 months should tell the tail. If that part of the current does not surface in the next 2 months I think it safe to say that the change has indeed taken place. Only thing that can be done now is to watch and wait.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
if you are interested in this topic, the book "The Coming Global Superstorm" by Art Bell is a great read.

www.paraview.com...

what we may be seeing is just a natural process that we might have accelerated somewhat. its sounds like a plausible theory, but then again, since i live in wisconsin, if i really believed it was going to happen, i would move south somewhat wouldnt I?

[edit on 10-6-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Got the book. Strange reading but good reading. They tell two stories at once. Alternating from chapter to chapter. One is a story on fact. The other is basically a story like the movie The Day After Tomorrow which in my opinion was a rip off from the book. In a few places it is hard to tell which is a statement of fact and which is a prediction written in story form. Good book though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join