It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash not always welcome at Apple stores

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
Screw Apple and Steve Jobs!

You dont want my cash? Fine. I'd rather have a laptop than a stupid iPad anyway. Never had an afinity for apple products any way. I've always felt they should come with Birkenstocks and a box of Granola.

iPAD- The stupid answer to the stupid question that was never asked.

Agreed. Apple need to learn 2 words... Universal Compatibility.

Yes, iMacs are good computers, but why do I have to go to Apple to get upgrades, repairs, add-ons etc?

If something breaks on my PC, I pop to the nearest computer store and buy a replacement. I can plug my mp3 player into ANY computer and upload music via drag and drop without any additional software. Can I do this with an iPod? Hell no, you HAVE to have Apple iTunes software installed.

Apple make you dependant on Apple in order to use Apple products. Great for profits, but a bit naff for the customer, as Apple can then dictate the prices.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Apple makes decent products that work seamlessly with each other. Unfortunately, that's what the general public wants. They want products they don't have to learn about or think about. Most Apple users are completely clueless as to the inner operations of a computer, and simply like the aesthetics of the machines.

I've never had a problem with Macintosh, but I've always had a problem with Mac users. They think because their IPhone syncs with their Macbook they are a computer expert. Then when it says "Connection Lost" they go into a frenzy, and hit all the panic buttons they can. I own an IMac, and a few PC's, but I'd never buy any of Apple's overrated and overpriced "mobile" gadgets.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Sigh, have the clerk write on a piece of paper that they will not accept US currency as payment and sign it and hand it to you. Say okay and walk out the store with the product. They will naturally call security or do other things to detain you for "shoplifting".

Explain that you were more than willing to pay the price in cash, but the clerk refused. You even had him put it in writing. Inform them that you would be more than happy to sit in court and have the store explain to the judge why US currency is not valid tender provided they are willing to pay all court costs plus $150 per hour for your time for a frivolous case. Ask them once last time in the presence of the security person if they would like to accept cash or stand on their policy?

Congratulations, you will have either just legality obtained your items for free, will be paid for your time wasted in court in addition to free items or proved your point that cash is a legal tender.

Terrible advice. As a general rule of thumb: Don't give legal advice unless you're a lawyer. And for everyone who read that spew: Don't take legal advice from the Internet.

Offering a payment and having it refused (for any reason) does not legally count as making the payment.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Want a solution? start to boycott them to take back America for the regular consumer.

this is nothing but the spread of corporate control.

USD is the legal currency of the USA

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by TLomon

USD is the legal currency of the USA

True, but no company is legally obliged to sell anything to you. They can refuse service for NO REASON and they have the right to sell their products in any way they like.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think too many people are looking past the fact we're talking about iPads. One of the most unnecessary products of all time. The iPad is a complete luxury and nothing else.

If you dont want to abide by their policy (which was changed anyways as already mentioned) then don't buy the product you didnt need in the first place.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I probably wouldn't be online if it weren't for my Macs (iBook RIP & now refurbed MacBook), but the Apple Store here SUUUUUUCCCKKKSSS!!! Fortunately we have an alternative Mac dealer & if you raise hell enough, warranty work CAN be done there.
I will do ANYthing to avoid the store here. Thank God for mail order.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I spoke with someone out at Apple corporate about this because as a Mac user I am appalled that they started doing this, and they assured me this is NOT corporate practice to deny anyone the ability to purchase anything with cash. iPhones are the only exception because you need a card on file for the activation etc...

If anyone has a problem with a store refusing cash, just call Apple in Cupertino and ask to speak to the Executive Level Customer Care department, they can normally override some snippy store manager pretty quickly. Also the threat to these stores that you are doing that normally is enough. As it was stated to me, the managers just don't like giving up their coffee breaks to come out and check hundreds and fifty's for counterfeiting.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Why is your being online due to your Macs?

Just curious as to why the two should correlate.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Yes and we are talking about the legal monetary currency of the country, still the way to go is boycotting the darn stores.

Do you ever wonder why our nation is not longer run by the people? well this why, as long as Americans fall under the rule of corporate control our nation is been take away from the people and by the people.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
Screw Apple and Steve Jobs!

You dont want my cash? Fine. I'd rather have a laptop than a stupid iPad anyway. Never had an afinity for apple products any way. I've always felt they should come with Birkenstocks and a box of Granola.

iPAD- The stupid answer to the stupid question that was never asked.

What are you trying to say? That Apple products are Lesbian?

I don't get it? Sounds like your just hatiin'

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh I totally agree, boycotting is the way to go, but then the hoarding masses wouldn't have their shiny new toy!

I already do boycot Apple products, because I don't agree with their policies and until they change, no Apple product will come into my house.

I build my own PCs, have a Sony Erricsson mobile phone and a Creative mp3 player and do you know what? They all do exactly the same things as the Apple alternative, for a fraction of the price. The big difference is choice.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Thanks, that sound more plausible, retails is a pain in the neck as individual stores set their own rules most of the time.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
I think too many people are looking past the fact we're talking about iPads. One of the most unnecessary products of all time. The iPad is a complete luxury and nothing else.

If you dont want to abide by their policy (which was changed anyways as already mentioned) then don't buy the product you didnt need in the first place.

Not at all... I get so tired of folks who think $700 is a lot of money hatin' on ipads.

Do you realize how much of a health benefit the ipad is... I don't have to carry by backpack anywhere now.... I don't have to deal with the heat on my lap...

It has revolutionized my work... as I do everything through it now.... even type this post :-)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I tell you the younger the generation the more the need to get the newest gadgets, I have two young adult children that can not live without anything new.

Still for me I have no need for it, littler by littler control over ones life and monitory is been introduced with most of this new gadgets making the population very addicted to it, very soon is not going to be any need for microchip people as gadgets can do the same job when it comes to keeping track of those that fall for them

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

The reason is that apple has some sort of contracts with mastercard and other credit card and debit card companies. The contracts is based on merchant accounts agreement. So in order for apple to accept the credit cards and debit cards they had to force customers to use the credit cards and debit cards for selective hot items. I wouldn't know the agreements but have seen a few since I am a entry level accountant and at a retail outlet I worked for they done the same thing. I asked about why they do it like that and got my answers. Hope this answers your question.

I don't know if it's the Government doing this but I know for sure the credit card companies are hungry for more money.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Not at all... I get so tired of folks who think $700 is a lot of money hatin' on ipads.

Do you realize how much of a health benefit the ipad is... I don't have to carry by backpack anywhere now.... I don't have to deal with the heat on my lap...

It has revolutionized my work... as I do everything through it now.... even type this post :-)

It's a great product for sure. However, it's still a luxury at it's finest.

You could say the same thing about models of cars. In the end they all still get you from point A to point B, some just do it much faster, quieter, safer & more comfortably.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. you know if you buy directly from china I found prices close 80 bucks for that stupid ipad thing.

I have looked at the ipad and it's nothing new no new techology. This technology has be around for a long time.

that a look at his article:
www.zdnet.com...

the cpu is either the same or similar to the iphone.

If your not a hardware guru or a computer geek. Then you won't know whats under the hook and just fall for the marketing gimics.

They you think that this is something new but in reality the hardware and software ideas has been around for a long time.

I mean what is new? they have 256mb or ram yet my desktop has more then 4 gigs of ram?

The hardware seems less then of a desktop or a laptop. ya I know this is a tablet and what do I expect... I know tablets have a purpose if your a doctor then yes this can help you look at x-rays and other stuff mobile while with your patient. I mean it can help those areas but I don't understand why young people or people that have no need of this device goes out and spends 700 bucks for something that you can spend 400 or 500 bucks on a laptop that has better hardware.

I would rather buy laptops for mobility. I wouldn't want a tablet for mobility unless I was doing a business where I need to sign something or have someone else sign something... tablets have a purpose mainly for business where mobility is important and the laptop can't offer that amount of mobility.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm 28 and a lot of people my age are like that. I have a friend, who bought the latest iPod as an upgrade to her old one. I asked what was wrong with the old one, she said, "nothing". I asked why buy a new one then, she said, "because this one's got more memory". I asked her if she used all the memory on the one she already had, I'll let you guess the response...

They buy for the sake of buying. It's a status thing. Personally, I'm too tight to be like that
and I don't think Apple products are good value for money and in fact, when the iPhone first came out, other than the fact that it was touch screen, which was a novelty, it was greatly inferior to the 12 month old phone I had at the time.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed

You could say the same thing about models of cars. In the end they all still get you from point A to point B, some just do it much faster, quieter, safer & more comfortably.

Very true!

After breaking my free upgrade mobile phone, I've been forced to use a 5 year old, battered one I dragged out of a drawer. I don't mind, it makes calls and sends texts, what more do I really need it to do? I'll just wait for my next free upgrade for a new one.

Nobody NEEDS the latest gadget (unless it's a completely new invention of course). My phone makes calls, my mp3 player plays music, my PC does what I need it to do. Anything more is just a luxury gadget.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join