It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash not always welcome at Apple stores

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Take it back with the receipt, just like you do with any other product.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Apple, I say boycott them. Hey if they send to many custemers away that have cash eventually they will lose out on revenue. I bet they can't loose out on income long before they change that policy!

Let me see, why buy Apple: do you need an iphone no. Does an Ipad really change the world of computer, not one bit.

Why would you want an IPAD anyway, it does nothing that a laptop does.

I'll save my money and keep my laptop!

Ohh I sure hope the IPADs don't come down with the battery explosion syndrome the IPHONEs have gone through.

That usually is pretty bad sign of engineering gone wrong!

Apple= a waste of money.

0.023 cents worth of my time!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
It's not only Apple, I have been turned down on many different purchases because I didn't have a credit card. I was turned down from hotels for this many times. I had over a grand in cash on me and they wouldn't take it. I even offered a cash deposit! It's ridiculous to not accept a LEGAL tender in the US. I was inquiring about the new iPhones and you have to use a credit card as well, cash will not be accepted. It's BS, if someone saved their OWN money up to buy one, they should be allowed to purchase one.

I now keep ONE Walmart prepaid VISA and I load it as needed. I don't use t for anything unless I absolutely have to. I hate it cause it charges me to use my own money!

Well, the hotel I understand.

It's to make sure that they can charge you if you mess the room up or drink out of the mini bar, order PPV, etc...

As for the Apple Store, they are a bunch of crooks anyway.

Closed box concept..

~Keeper

I offered them a 500 dollar deposit. I was staying 5 hrs so I didn't have to drive back home and then be back there at 9am. They could have taken it, they have before. Cash is legal and to not accept is insane. Not everyone carries credit cards. I don't, I refuse to add to the debt over material items. Apple shouldn't be refusing cash either, there are many people who would buy them if they could use cash. It's stupid on both ends to refuse legal tender.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon

Cash is legal tender, right? It should be acceptable anywhere. Here is the end of the article:

The U.S. Treasury Department says there is nothing in the law that requires companies to accept cash as payment, even though it is "legal tender." The Apple no-cash policy applies only to iPads and iPhones, although you can at least use a gift card to buy an iPhone.

What exactly is going on here? I can totally understand not wanting to pay with a credit card in some cases. What if it was a gift for my wife, and she would see the bill?

Seriously... when did money stop being money?

abclocal.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well I own a macbook........But steve jobs and apple are so "into themselves " like how a celebrity would be , that they don't even realize the ignorant decisions they make.....

They could have made double their money in the past 2 years , if they were more customer and user friendly...

They make products that are user friendly , but as a company they are not.....

I wanted to buy a game from the apple store for my mac ( there are only like 40 total lol...pathetic )....

They wanted me to pay $30.00 for Age of Mythology........a game which came out in 2002.............

They want $30.00 for Age of Empires 2 gold...........

That game came out in 2000.......yet they want Full price for it...

They suck.....real hard

But my Macbook is incredible for making music with so in the end I can't complain...

I just love strategy games for PC's and over the past 3 years have not been able to play them really..

Battles for Wesnoth is a GREAT FREE game ....but I would like to be able to play what a PC user could.....

All in all apple is full of themselves........It will eventually work against them but they will make their money first ....shame too because they could be GREAT but they just settle for being ok and thinking they are great....

Must be a a requirement when applying for apple to have at least 3 years of Brown Nosing experience.....lol

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Heres a short list of other things not accepted at Apple stores:
common sense
value
computing power
quality

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
It's to prevent people from purchasing multiple ipads and reselling them. If you are forced to use a card they have a record of your purchases.

They must think everybody wants them..........

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddogron
this country is headed in a direction ( that we all know) what the outcome will be...useless paper... wow!!! i was listening to the MSM when this came on and the stupid news anchors were laughing about it "Ohhh,... well i use my credit card for everything anway 'giggle'" idiots... totally freaking idiots!!!! the sheeple are being herded to the corrals....

Yea if you are smart, you are not allowed on tv anymore...

If you can dumbly do ANYTHING and say ANYTHING your boss tells you too, and you are good looking, then you are hired...

Nothing against good looking reporters, but they are not the smartest bunch......

Just show me some ugly people who actually know what they are talking about.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

It's to prevent people from purchasing multiple ipads and reselling them. If you are forced to use a card they have a record of your purchases.

What's wrong with buying and re-selling? There's no law against that.

So If I bought an Ipad.....I'm not allowed to sell it on Craigslist or Ebay if I finf out it sucks and don't like it ?

Is that what jobs is saying....?

Does he want a cut of Ebay's Mac related sales now too ?

I took a crap the other day and it looked like an apple.....do I owe steve jobs money ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Its business policy via Apple, and smart policy for a large company that releases such high demand products. It prevents a gray market and keeps supply & demand exactly where Apple want's it for their maximum profit. Call it what you want, but it's their policy and if you want their product you must abide by it.

Yea true...if people are really against it, they will wait to purchase whatever comes out that is better than the ipad...

And something will be coming out shortly that will be better, because apple left a lot of stuff off the ipad that i'm sure another company will put on there..

Mainly Flash.......

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
What part about "Legal Tender for all debts foreign and domestic" do they not understand?

At least Microsoft lets you pay in cash. Screw the iPad! Go Tablet PC!!! Windows 7 has some great touch features!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DaMod]

I doubt Microsoft are saints either, but at least they are user friendly and that alone will keep them having life long customers...

They have billions to put into keeping up with the newest products and they let you mod and create....I miss my PC for those reasons, because it really is YOUR PC...

My macBook is like everybody else's macbook.......kinda bland when you think about it...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
only snakes sell apples.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think it has to do with who's buying it. If someone hacked the thing and goes on the web with it, chances are big that Apple will find out and than it's easy for them to track the hacker down. I also think that it's part of our beloved big brother.

Here in the Netherlands credit cards are not rare but common. Most people have a "pay-account" at a bank on which they receive their monthly payments. Along with this account most people have a PIN-card which can be used at most ATM's and almost every store or business. Just shove it through the scanner and enter a 4 digit code. It is possible to live without cash in the Netherlands and that's also what the government wants. There are more and more gas-stations that are unmanned and you can only pay "digital".
The Netherlands has also surprisingly been struck with a HUGE increase in small robberies and this is also being used to convince people to use their card and not cash. Most stores in the Netherlands don't accept bills larger than 50€ and have little money in their register because of this.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I offered them a 500 dollar deposit. I was staying 5 hrs so I didn't have to drive back home and then be back there at 9am. They could have taken it, they have before.
A $500 deposit should have been more than adequate. Did they give you a reason for refusing to accept that as an alternative to a credit card?

It does bother me when cash isn't accepted as legal tender for transactions.

I can understand the rental car requirement for a credit card though, because you'd almost have to leave a deposit for the entire value of the car to cover the potential losses, if you don't have a credit card.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There was an article I read, pretty it was on The Register about Apple having a lifetime limit on the number of iPads you can buy. That number is 10. They are tracked by a combination of your credit card and name. That way even if you use a different CC, the address and name are the same as the previous card and you can't buy them. It is ridiculous.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
The reason as to why they and other places do not accept cash and want a credit card is that 'they' want to know exactly whom is buying a computer or electronic information device.

Screw that!

I always have and always will build my own PCs from scratch. They don't want my cash? They simply don't get my business.

Jobs can Take it right in the ...!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

But then it's not an apple Mac!! My stomach honestly turns when i hear how much folks fork out for them...it is insane. Especially when like you said you can build your own PC for a fraction of the cost with much,much better specs.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I'm a pc guy. I've built a few BEAST boxes in my time. To be honest it is cheaper. The only company out there that is a commercial; success building BEAST gaming boxes is Alienware. If I have the cash available I still would prefer to build my own!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
When I was returning a monitor at Best Buy, the guy in front of me was returning at least five IPADs. I guess the resell idea didn't work out for him. I bought an IPOD, and it's pretty cool, but I'd never get wrapped up in IPHONES and IPADS or the ridiculously overpriced Apple computers. One thing that's interesting about Apple is that people pay more for Apple gift cards than they are worth. Usually people pay even money or even less for a gift card. Is it somehow cool to have an Apple gift card or something? I don't get the deal.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I never understood the fascination with the apple, I dont see it as better than the pc, less software is made for it and is usually more expensive.

Apple to PC: What you doing?

PC to Apple: Playing some games..

Apple to PC: Which games?

Pc to Apple: Well pretty much all of them

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
yet more reasons not to use apple. i love hating apple its just so easy money isn't worth money you can hardly watch anything online with your ipod it costs £20 to fix your ipod than buy a new one it deletes your music videos photos apps and everything else but do-sent back them up to your computer it barley registers that you have an ipod plugged in i mean i could go on all day but frankly its late and i'm sure apple is lining up a shot on my head right about now with its my kill sniper rifle or whatever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join