It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash not always welcome at Apple stores

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Cash not always welcome at Apple stores

abclocal.go.com

She was at the Apple store in Palo Alto, about to pull out the big wad of cash and take home her first computer. Instead, she received a terrible blow.

"They said, 'Sorry, we don't take cash.' And, so I looked at her and I said OK she's kidding," Campbell recalled.

However, the clerk was not kidding. The Apple sales policy says if you want an iPad, you must pay by credit card or debit card. Diane didn't have any plastic and amazingly her cash was useless.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Cash is legal tender, right? It should be acceptable anywhere. Here is the end of the article:

The U.S. Treasury Department says there is nothing in the law that requires companies to accept cash as payment, even though it is "legal tender." The Apple no-cash policy applies only to iPads and iPhones, although you can at least use a gift card to buy an iPhone.

What exactly is going on here? I can totally understand not wanting to pay with a credit card in some cases. What if it was a gift for my wife, and she would see the bill?

Seriously... when did money stop being money?

abclocal.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It is finally being exposed for what it really is...useless paper. Remember a time will come when, unless you have the mark of the beast, er, ID connected plastic card, you cannot shop in the market place. Get labeled an extremist and have your card disconnected from the grid. Fun times.

+1 more 
posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm continually surprised by those who are surprised by Apple's actions. What did you really think they care about customers? Steve Jobs is no saint, you know.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It's to prevent people from purchasing multiple ipads and reselling them. If you are forced to use a card they have a record of your purchases.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
this country is .ed in a direction ( that we all know) what the outcome will be...useless paper... wow!!! i was listening to the MSM when this came on and the stupid news anchors were laughing about it "Ohhh,... well i use my credit card for everything anway 'giggle'" idiots... totally freaking idiots!!!! the sheeple are being herded to the corrals....

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't know about the Ipad, as I haven't tried to purchase one. But I know that the initial purchase of an Iphone needs to be done with a credit card for 2 reasons. First, as someone stated to discourage the purchase of multiple units for resale. Second, the initial activation of an Iphone needed to be done instore through ATT.

Now, if you already have an Iphone and exchange it under their policy you can pay your $200 in cash, as I did, no credit card required and because it is an exchange and not an initial sale they do not activate it and do not need a credit card.

+6 more 
posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
It's to prevent people from purchasing multiple ipads and reselling them. If you are forced to use a card they have a record of your purchases.

What's wrong with buying and re-selling? There's no law against that.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The reason as to why they and other places do not accept cash and want a credit card is that 'they' want to know exactly whom is buying a computer or electronic information device.

Anonymity is a thing of the past especially when dealing with information devices i.e , computers, cell phones.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Shadow Herder]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I paid for a iMac a few months ago with two grand in cash.
(They wanted me to fill out a receipt with my name, number, address and other info)
I refused.

Maybe they want names/numbers to go along with you purchases.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Its business policy via Apple, and smart policy for a large company that releases such high demand products. It prevents a gray market and keeps supply & demand exactly where Apple want's it for their maximum profit. Call it what you want, but it's their policy and if you want their product you must abide by it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's not only Apple, I have been turned down on many different purchases because I didn't have a credit card. I was turned down from hotels for this many times. I had over a grand in cash on me and they wouldn't take it. I even offered a cash deposit! It's ridiculous to not accept a LEGAL tender in the US. I was inquiring about the new iPhones and you have to use a credit card as well, cash will not be accepted. It's BS, if someone saved their OWN money up to buy one, they should be allowed to purchase one.

I now keep ONE Walmart prepaid VISA and I load it as needed. I don't use t for anything unless I absolutely have to. I hate it cause it charges me to use my own money!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I was anti credit card for a long time and still am. a few years ago though I got really tired of having to have a friend or my girlfriend buy everything online for me.

For years I didnt even have a bank account and would not get one. the reality is I didnt really have a good reason for that. I guess I just didnt want people to know who I was but it wasnt like I had some good, mysterious, or even cool reason. I just didnt want to be noticed I guess...

Not that the lack of those things will keep you invisible to TPTB by any means but I was younger and well, impressionable. Fast froward four years later and it's just absolutely essential for us to live now in my opinion. Apple isnt the only place that doesnt take cash...it can be a serious hassle...we all know that.

anyway obviously I gave in at some point...I dont know the point of this comment either but to say...yeah...its was of that desire for the modern day conveniences that sucked me back in. I ended up joining the masses and got a bank account. I still dont have any credit cards believe it or not but I was tired of being so "cut off".

I guess its a typical story...it seems "they" "get" most of us somehow...always have likely always will.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

I am assuming it is limited to the highest demand products like the ipad and iphone.

Of course they want your name and info, just like every other company in the world today. How many products have you purchased lately where they offer more deals or discounts if you register the product? Think about it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yeah, reminds me of the time the bailout was being pushed, and the anchors were talking about the great display of power in washington as all the lobbyists were showing up to pay their millions to the congressmen, and how it was our government in action, and chuckling, and I was thinking...."damn, they dont even realize that they are chuckling about the destruction of democracy"... what they called the display of power was in fact corporate power buying government votes through bribery, and they just fluffed right through it, oblivious. amazing.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What part about "Legal Tender for all debts foreign and domestic" do they not understand?

At least Microsoft lets you pay in cash. Screw the iPad! Go Tablet PC!!! Windows 7 has some great touch features!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
It's not only Apple, I have been turned down on many different purchases because I didn't have a credit card. I was turned down from hotels for this many times. I had over a grand in cash on me and they wouldn't take it. I even offered a cash deposit! It's ridiculous to not accept a LEGAL tender in the US. I was inquiring about the new iPhones and you have to use a credit card as well, cash will not be accepted. It's BS, if someone saved their OWN money up to buy one, they should be allowed to purchase one.

I now keep ONE Walmart prepaid VISA and I load it as needed. I don't use t for anything unless I absolutely have to. I hate it cause it charges me to use my own money!

Well, the hotel I understand.

It's to make sure that they can charge you if you mess the room up or drink out of the mini bar, order PPV, etc...

As for the Apple Store, they are a bunch of crooks anyway.

Closed box concept..

~Keeper

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

What part about "Legal Tender for all debts foreign and domestic" do they not understand?

the purchase of an ipad / iphone / ipod is NOT a debt

which part of this dont you understand ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

and how do you intend to make any warranty claim if the product is faulty , if you dont share your details with the manufacturer ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I doubt it will hurt their sales much, Apple and all it's ridiculously overpriced products has a fanatical following. But in the end they are a business and only look out for their own interests, if paying by cash hinders that then so be it...you can't pay with cash.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join