It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Needs This: Nick Clegg pledges biggest political reforms since 1832

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is a British Story from the BBC, but this is exactly what the Tea Party and the US politics needs!

I don't know much about Nick Clegg or the Tory Party or the Labour Party for that matter. I did think that Gordon Brown's departure was very odd and premature, and I think all the Governmental Shakeups in Europe this year are extremely suspicious! Greece, Italy, Belgium, Poland, and now the UK. Very Odd times.

Here is the platform from the article that Nick Clegg is pledging:

Mr Clegg said the government was "not insecure about relinquishing control".

Mr Clegg, who is overseeing the government's political reform plans, said he wanted to "transform our politics so the state has far less control over you, and you have far more control over the state".

The deputy prime minister promised to give voters powers to "recall" corrupt MPs and for an elected House of Lords, based on a "proportional" voting system.

He said: "I'm talking about the most significant programme of empowerment by a British government since the great enfranchisement of the 19th Century.

"The biggest shake up of our democracy since 1832, when the Great Reform Act redrew the boundaries of British democracy, for the first time extending the franchise beyond the landed classes."

And my favorite exciting Quote:

He added: "Incremental change will not do. It is time for a wholesale, big bang approach to political reform."

He accused the previous government of "obsessive lawmaking" and pledged to "get rid of the unnecessary laws" and "introduce a mechanism to block pointless new criminal offences".

This is exactly what US politics and US lawmakers need. A wholesale big bang approach to political reform. The repealing of unnecessary laws and an end to obsessive lawmaking! A mechanism to block pointless criminal offenses!

He said differences between the Lib Dems and Conservatives were "almost impossible to spot" when it came to wanting to decentralise power.

Sound Familiar? Dems and Republicans both working to increase the governmental power, redistribute wealth, destroy the middle class and position themselves in authoritative positions above the working class. Exempting themselves from their own laws of Healthcare, Taxes, and Social Security!

I think the Tea Party should adapt Mr. Cleggs platform and overhaul our own government this Novemeber! I am willing to run on this platform! We need 50 New Senators and 100 New Representatives, and Governors and County Commissioners and Mayors and Council People all willing to do away with unnecessary criminal laws, represent the will of the people and take power away from a Central Government!

Whole Article Here:
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by getreadyalready]

[edit on 19-5-2010 by getreadyalready]

la2

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I voted for, and helped the campaign of my local Lib Dem candidate, and what strikes me here is one thing.

This attitude totally goes against the whole NWO/ shadow government ideas that we have all heard, instead of taking power, he wants to give it back.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2

I voted for, and helped the campaign of my local Lib Dem candidate, and what strikes me here is one thing.

This attitude totally goes against the whole NWO/ shadow government ideas that we have all heard, instead of taking power, he wants to give it back.

I agree. Reversing and regulating CCTV, doing away with National Registry and National ID. Limiting DNA databases. It seems he is entirely anti-NWO, so how did he make it this far, and how long will he last?

I hope he keeps the support of the people and they keep him safe.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I had a bit of difficulty trying to explain to my American cousins that our liberals are not like their idea of liberalism...

It took a while and I ended up using one of my local counsellors to explain what I mean by liberal.. His name as Thomas Paine, and he started his political career and pamphlet writing here in the district of Lewes. Thomas Paine represent local liberalism..

Back to the OP, Nick Clegg is a good guy, I'm am hoping for some really fundamental changes to our systems of governance... but we shall see when it arrives.. time indeed is ripe to decentralise government and take back power from the corrupt and greedy.

[edit on 19/5/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thomas Paine is one of my heroes! I have been trying to get a publication started with the name, "Modern Sense."

I want to draw correlations from Paine's work to our modern situation. I want guest writers to submit works. I don't want to see a violent revolution anywhere at anytime, but I would love to see Clegg be successful in the UK with these policies, and the US to follow suit!

Our news stations seem to have corrupted the labels of "Conservative" and "Liberal." I don't believe anybody is one or the other.

I am Conservative on the Constitution, but Liberal on Drug Laws. I am Conservative on Gun Rights, but Liberal on Gay Marriage. I am 90% Pro-Life (Conservative). I am against Women on Submarines and most battlefields, but I am for Gays in the Military? (Don't ask me why, cuz I don't even know how that makes sense)

We cannot label our Population as Either/Or. It is a mistake. We have to look at every situation independently! We have to have politicians that actually REPRESENT their constituents instead of Dictating to them! How many times have you heard politicians say they just need to "educate" the voters?? BS!! The Voters need to educate the politicians!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Oh by the way, just before the 1832 date, my part of the UK (South East) went into open rebellion due to high levels of un-employment and under employment.

and resulted in letters like this being sent under the pseudonym "Captain Swing"

Sir,
Your name is down amongst the Black hearts in the Black Book and this is to advise you and the like of you, who are Parson Justasses, to make your wills. Ye have been the Blackguard Enemies of the People on all occasions,
Ye have not yet done as ye ought,....
Swing

The riots led to many death sentences being handed down and the largest mass transportation of those convicted of the same crime in UK history.

Lets hope this time the laws come before any action and not afterwards
but you can see the similarities with un-employment and under-employment rife throughout the nation in both ages.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Yep. Great correlation, and I hope the laws change before the people react as well. The situation in the US is also very similar to the late 1700's just before the revolution. People are not getting representation, taxes are piling on to an already impoverished economy. Every little thing is now a criminal violation in some way. The things that our Founding Fathers fought for have been eroded away.

We don't even have clear private property rights anymore. The police can bust in commando style with a sealed warrant and shoot anyone that resists whether they are guilty or not! A home can be foreclosed and taken away over a $300 past due water bill! The city or county can come onto your property and demand that you tear down a building, move a fence, upgrade your plumbing, tie into an expensive sewer or water system, or change the color of your paint?!?!? A Fish and Wildlife Officer can hide on your property without a warrant or probable cause, bait you into shooting an animal, and then arrest you for it?

In the US, I honestly believe that the Tea Party Movement has a chance of working this November, and I honestly believe just as wholeheartedly that if the polls don't reflect what the people believe, there will be violence. I don't want it, but I feel that this November and this momentum of grass-roots movement is the last peaceful opportunity to take back our government.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

There are many correlations when you take that step back and look at History...

Our local currency sports Thomas Paine's face and the tagline, "We have it in our power to build the world anew" which is as true today as when it was first coined.

In all honesty, without the artificially low interest rates in the UK we would most certainly be in the slow drip drip drowning process that over took my part of the UK just prior to the Swing Riots of 1830/1831..

It was also an age that saw what is now guessed at the largest migration to the UK, with many soldiers returning from duty overseas without jobs to go to, and families drowning in debt they could not afford to pay, the sparks for rebellion where there for all to see.. as they are today..

Lets hope that is one fire the government try to put out rather than fan...

Edit to add - I do understand where you are coming from, there are many laws in the UK being miss-used in the same manner... which is why I really want to see them all rolled back.. and I hope that thought/feeling/direction is passed onto you all in the US

[edit on 19/5/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
In line with that Theresa May the new Home Secretary has outlined plans to scrap Police targets, reduce the admin side of Policework and most importantly the restoration of professional discretion

Which read to me like cops can are not being forced into arresting people to make up their targets...
to those kinds of positive changes..

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I was waiting for someone to make a thread on this! There is so much NWO doom and gloom, it is refreshing to hear this sort of talk.

I watched the whole thing and what struck me was how Nick Clegg said something to the effect of " I no longer want big business to rule, all lobbyists will be regulated" and " For too long the government has been eroding our civil liberties, well this has to stop"

Great points that we have all been concerned about, well now a politician is actually saying it we should applaud him and wait with bated breath to see if he can walk the walk!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DARKJEDIG]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It really sounds like the UK is moving in the right direction. I sure hope it spills over to the US! We are quickly moving in the opposite direction and anyone that opposes the status quo is quickly labeled as a racist or a fringe/radical, or they are simply ignored into oblivion.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

Looks like a NWO sponsored "accident" is in the offing unless Nick Clegg gets in line and back tracks...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This guy will be murdered before he ever gets to sign any sort of plan he wants to put through.

You think they will allow something like that to go through? To give power back to citizens and remove it from incumbents?

You are all dreaming.

I certainly hope I am wrong, and your right OP this is what all nations need to move past this oligarchys..

~Keeper

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Already today there are other threads stating "This country will be unrecognizeable by the end of the year."

The Mexican President is meeting the the US president and both are criticizing a legitimate state law that neither president should have any input into.

There are staunch critics of the Tory party railing on in other threads.

These are tumultuous times, and it looks like the rate of change in the world is accelerating quickly! I hope it is change for the better, and change for the people!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
This guy will be murdered before he ever gets to sign any sort of plan he wants to put through.

You think they will allow something like that to go through? To give power back to citizens and remove it from incumbents?

You are all dreaming.

I certainly hope I am wrong, and your right OP this is what all nations need to move past this oligarchys..

~Keeper

The problem is that Nick Clegg represents a lot of people... it will be hard to turn back the tide now... unless something thinks themselves another King Cnute will only learn same lesson.

Henry of Huntingdon, the 12th-century chronicler, tells how Cnut set his throne by the sea shore and commanded the tide to halt and not wet his feet and robes; but the tide failed to stop. According to Henry, Cnut leapt backwards and said "Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws." He then hung his gold crown on a crucifix, and never wore it again.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Awesome Quote! I have never heard of King Cnut, I have to go read more now.

I think you are right about Clegg, and the wheels are in motion, but the public is so fickle. If TPTB get him stopped shortly, the public will likely think, "Oh well, almost, too good to be true, we had a shot." Etc., etc.!

The Tea Party Movement in the US is at the same precarious cross road. Some limited success. Some parasitic politicians. Some pandering press and some trivializing press. Can we keep up the momentum and carry through a real election and build upon it? That is the real test!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Awesome Quote! I have never heard of King Cnut, I have to go read more now.

I think you are right about Clegg, and the wheels are in motion, but the public is so fickle. If TPTB get him stopped shortly, the public will likely think, "Oh well, almost, too good to be true, we had a shot." Etc., etc.!

The Tea Party Movement in the US is at the same precarious cross road. Some limited success. Some parasitic politicians. Some pandering press and some trivializing press. Can we keep up the momentum and carry through a real election and build upon it? That is the real test!

King Cnut is also known as Cnut the Great, who styled himself king of all England and Denmark and the Norwegians and of some of the Swedes... He was quite a powerful and a busy boy

Tho I really can not see it fizzling out, not with out serious repercussions... in my neck of woods over 400+ bits of public tech have been blown up in the last 4 years which shows the depth of frustration that has built up...

Our LibDem MP (Norman Baker) went after the previous Gov over the death of Dr David Kelly (UN Weapons expert/Iraq war) with plenty of finger pointing at cover up and murder..

They (the establishment) really do lack the wiggle room to get out of this one.. it is not just Clegg or the top party elite who are seeking these changes, but the British people as a whole.. it might turn out to be a con, but that really will bite them on the behind, and I think they know it, so really feel they have no option but to follow through.

Besides a nanny state is to expensive to maintain... and if the UK is to scrabble out of the mess we are in, dropping all the daft laws, and pointless stuff should be a top priority.

But I guess we will have to wait and see... I do feel whatever happens here, good or bad will be reflected back in the US.. Thomas Paine's ideas travelled a long way... and again at the time when Icelandic volcanoes where active
who knows if that correlates..

new topics

top topics

join